Deep Purple "Anthem" - Why it has been buried and forgotten?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Hello Purple (and Rock) fans!

I've been listening a lot of Purple music prior the release of this double DVD
    set:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=183685&highlight=deep+purple+history

and I'm wondering why "Anthem" has never made into well-known compilation (I can only think in "The Early Years" comp). No Singles A-Bs, no Listen Read On Boxset, no Anthology, no Best Ofs, etc. Moreover, It seems they didn't do a promo video, and I haven't even heard a live performance of the song.

It was a single (part 1 & 2) and at least in here it still gets great radioairplay rotation on the best radio stations.

Does anyone knows why?. All the Purple experts needed :righton:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdIMFyvL234

[​IMG]

turnersmemo likes this.
  2. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

3. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

First time I've heard about Anthem being a single...

I agree that it's a great song, one of my absolute favourites from MkI... I love it!

I don't imagine the band or management at that time putting the time/money/effort into making a promo video for an album track that wasn't a UK or US hit...

turnersmemo likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

First, let me say that I really like this song, and always have, but let's face it, it's pretty much out of step with the balance of Purple's catalog. Comps that feature a cross-section of Purple always use Mk II as the benchmark, and "Anthem" is one song that has no parallel in MK II. Its style, especially Rod Evans' vocal, is very lush and florid and seems more suited to Tom Jones or even Jim Nabors than a hard rock band.

I'm not entirely surprised that they play this song on the radio in Chile, but in the U.S. it's a different story. I only once heard this song on the radio and it was on an independent station in Vermont in 1980.

turnersmemo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.