Deep Purple Box Set from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirie

dirie Forum Resident

A SACD would be fine. :)

2. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Indeed :D

dirie likes this.
  3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If AF was smart they would have issued Made In Japan exclusively in this box. Then those of us who already had the individual cds would have had to shell out again (and it would still be cheaper than buying the old DCC disc :laugh:).

4. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Just got a newsletter from Elusive and saw the AF boxset with 10% off and a few copies left, so I pulled the trigger. Very, very curious indeed. I have Machine Head on DVD-A, love that one, and the Ann. boxset. In Rock, and Fireball only the '95 Ann. cd with bonus tracks. WDYTWA I don't even own, apart from some tracks on the Rhino 4cd set. So, I guess, after reading these posts here, I'm in for a treat.

Clanceman and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  5. shirtandtie

shirtandtie Forum Resident

As good as it gets! Just no "Demon's Eye" on Fireball. :-(

6. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It is either Strange Kind of Woman or Demon's Eye, they did not use the European track listing so it could have been much better IMO.

7. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Works every time. Hadn't thought about it in months. Haven't listened to Purple in months. I'll be digging into that box right now - thanks to the thread bump. :tiphat:

fpas and Vinyl Fan 1973 like this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

You are going to love this box o' HDCD's, they sound fantastic. Also, I just picked up this to have the missing tracks left off the U.S. Version. It's a great sounding comp and would make a nice addition to any Purple collection.

[​IMG]

Clanceman and fpas like this.
  9. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

I have the Warner/Rhino Shades 1968-1998 4-cd and other releases as well with those tracks. Can't find any comments on that Shades compilation regarding quality though. I bought it when it came out to start with a good large overview, not only the 'hits'.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  10. shirtandtie

I just picked up a Japan for UK of this.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepest_Purple:_The_Very_Best_of_Deep_Purple

"When A Blind Man Cries" is missing though.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

12. Vinyl Fan 1973

13. Vinyl Fan 1973

I really enjoy the sound of my CD.

14. shirtandtie

Oh I know. I was just highlighting another option. I've had "Deepest Purple" for some time now.

15. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't see how anyone could miss it, to be honest. Yes, it is on the original tape, and yes, this is the best sounding mastering, but that volume drop is extremely noticeable and annoying IMO. YMMV

16. Poxy Bowsy

Poxy Bowsy Well-Known Member

I'm diggin' the Audio Fidelity remasters, they're much better than the old CDs i have. But those albums still do not sound that great to my ears. Anybody knows why they sound so bad? "Machine Head" is the best sounding of those four, and it was recorded at that Rolling Stones mobile studio, "Who Do We Think" too. Was that mobile studio any good?

And could someone tell me the forum consensus on the other Deep Purple albums?

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

For Burn and Stormbringer get the original UK EMI CDs. For CTTB get the original Japanese 1st pressing or original UK EMI CD. Some people like one EQ over the other.

Poxy Bowsy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.