Deep Purple Box Set from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I hope this doensn't mean no more Deep Purple. I really, really want them to tackle "Burn".

2. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

Yes please!

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Actually it says "metallic" box, not metal. Cardboard with a shiny metallic veneer/finish?

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Who cares ? :laugh:

5. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Folks that may be thinking about buying it? :shrug:
    Especially if they already have most or all of the discs already.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

From my understanding, you might be right. I am guessing that this box is housed in a "metal" colored cardboard box.

7. integriscdp

integriscdp Active Member

Yes...I am aware of all the benefits of being an AF club member. I actually have both Platinum and Gold memberships, and I am one of the original AF club members. My comment regarding AF membership pricing, in response to MilesSmiles comment WRT the club discount making the purchase price very attractive to members, was merely to point out that the AF club membership discount will likely not yield the most attractive price on the Deep Purple box, or any other title for that matter. Like you've already said, membership provides other privileges not available elsewhere, but the lowest price is generally not one of those benefits.

8. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm glad we're being given the option.

I wonder if the discs will be individually shrink wrapped?
    If so they may fetch enough on the marketplace to justify the purchase of the set (and keep the box itself).
    Regardless, I don't plan to buy it.

9. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I figure. Which is unfortunate because I had been imagining this box as comparable to the Miles Davis metal spine box sets. Not that it would have been enough to justify spending $130 on four gold CDs I already have (not when I can buy up to five other SACDs for that same amount of money). But it would have been more interesting and would justify the price more. (Considering the Miles Davis boxes were more like $60-80 each for 5-6 non-gold CDs, and included thick booklets as well.)

Well, I guess we won't know for sure until someone receives one of these boxes, but the "metallic" rather than "metal" word to describe it suggests it's just something like "metal-looking cardboard."

Craig.

10. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

It's not a big deal. It seems the titles could be sold today on ebay and then the box repurchased with the subscriber number althought it's not clear the individual titles have numbers and if the slip cases are the same....dont' they look different in the picture?

I am curious if any original subscribers are actually going to repurchase the box. The few posted hear seam to say no.

I was mostly suprised to read the subscriber email because it was hyping this as something exciting for us...and at first I was thinking it was more titles or songs....but after ready I was wondering what did I miss...this seams like re-issue/duplicate. Would anyone really want both the box and the seperate titles? Maybe as some form of speculation for resale.

It's interesting to observe.

I assume the box is cardboard, embossed and with a metalic shine....but I don't know. I am more interested to know if the contents are exactly the same package or different (i..e slip cases). I wouldn't want both but might sell my current to get the new.

11. zen

zen Senior Member

A "metal" colored cardboard box? It should be made out of "rock"...hard rock. :D:thumbsup:

Steel Horse and MilesSmiles like this.
  12. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I am passing on this.

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Interesting. Good deal for people who don't have these.

14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The discs are more than the original price and they have added a cardboard box to drive the price up. A better deal would be to sell them at original cost and throw in the box for buying all four like they do with the Mini LP boxes in Japan.

Zomvid, ponkine and Sandinista like this.
  15. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

In my perfect world they would offer a few options. I realize there are collectors here and completists etc who would dig having the box so that's cool.

But it seems like there are a lot of members posting that already have all the discs and are passing. And there are also people like me who don't care about the actual box or collectable and are just interested in the music. In my case, I already have the AF Fireball so I would love if they offered the discs separately or some other type of option.

Carserguev likes this.
  16. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I'm in the exact same situation, and strapped for cash too... I LOVE the FIreball remaster, and would love to have them all four, but cannot afford those prices, and the fact that I'd have to repurchase Fireball sticks in my craw a bit. I could care less about the box or other trimmings... :sigh:

17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Most of these are OOP, right? Get them now, or don't get them, I guess.

18. chaz

chaz Senior Member

How people can sit around and come up with an idea like this is beyond me.

I know, he got the idea from AP, they're good at packaging the same ole stuff in boxes to sell to the punters. Gotta be $$$$ in it.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I would rather see the effort put into Burn, but some people need these, I suppose.

20. Dukes Travels

Dukes Travels Forum Resident

Thats a dream of mine. Id buy the lot.
    Unfortunately we'll all be dead before Genesis management realise the value in such items:waiting:

21. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

This box needs Made In Japan to send me over the edge...c'mon AF!

steveharris and Quark1134 like this.
  22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Looking at that picture in the ad it would be a very tight squeeze.

23. old school

old school Senior Member

I already have these on gold I will pass do a gold Burn and give the people what they want AF.

24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I'm undecided. Of the CDs contained I already have AF's Who Do We Think We Are so I'd like the other three, which are out of print. If the price is less than $100 I may go for it.

25. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

The EMI back catalog has been purchased by Universal. Their first release has been confirmed as Made In Japan, due later this year.

RSharpe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.