Deep Purple Box Set from Audio Fidelity

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

That's not good.

2. therockman

That's not good.

3. therockman

That's not good.

4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

you could sell your copy of Fireball in the future and make a profit. Just check ebay to see prices of the Deep Purple Gold CDs. AF is surely aware of ebay scalpers and thought to make them available once again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deep-Purple...4552588?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cd494b28c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Machine-Hea...390492904208?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5aeb30db10

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MACHINE-HEA...390597072366?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item5af16655ee

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I don't believe the original AF "Who Do We Think We Are" even had numbers, did it? That was one of the very early AF Gold CD's, along with Bad Company and Montrose.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  6. Jayski

Jayski Forum Resident

Those are extreme examples. None of the AF cds have sold for over 100.00. MH averages around 90.00 and Fireball around 40-50. Don't look at the active listing items, look at the completed listings.

eelkiller likes this.
  7. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Deep Purple reloaded?

Does it mean... Uni will do the Purple catalog again?

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I'm not sure what their plans are, but they have revealed their 1st title as MIJ, so others will follow.
    I believe the DPAS commented that the back catalog would be split for the first time ever. I'm not sure exactly where, in the catalog, that "split" is, but I assumed it was for the Mark I era, but it could also be Universal pulling out Mark II and leaving MKI,III,IV. This is pure speculation on my part.

All I know is that the reformed(83-2013) Purple managers are Bruce Payne/Thames Talent(Blackmore's management during Rainbow). The 68-76 Group was HEC Enterprises (Edwards/ Colleta)and then Deep Purple (Overseas) Ltd. There was a court case from the re-formed Purple for rights to the old (68-76) catalog, which was refused, but they have since applied again in court, believing they now have a stronger case.
    Last year the DPAS's agreement to archive and hold the master tapes ended following the death of the last HEC Enterprises director. All tapes went sent back to EMI in London.
    This just happens to coincide with EMI's sale/merger of their music/publishing to Universal, which was agreed September 2012.

Clearly, I don't know what is going on...but something is going on, and it's about $$$s.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Thanks for the infos... I hope Uni will do "In Rock" and "Fireball" again. Both EMI reissues sound inferior to the original CDs and AF reissues.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have all the AF, Japanese mini sleeves from 2000, EMI remastered/deluxe additions and the original WB's CD's plus all their LP's from the UK and US.
    Count me out on anymore reissues.

HAmmer likes this.
  11. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

Oh I have plenty of copies of Made In Japan, I just don't have the SH mastered version. It's pretty pricey, at least the few copies I've seen up for sale.

12. therockman

I have decided to opt out of this release. I can not afford $100 for 4 CDs that I already own, even if they are housed in a really cool looking cardboard box.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

But oh so worth hearing. I've got both the vinyl & CD, recently got deals on both.

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I like how cardboard is now it. Firm, and decisive with no silly confirmation from anyone with AF, just some guys on an internet forum.

therockman likes this.
  15. therockman

Thanks.

16. MemoInPR

MemoInPR SeƱor Memo

Email from Marshall Blonstein sent to AF members:

Audio Fidelity/Morada Music
    August 21, 2013

Dear Club Members:

Be assured that your club discounts will apply to the purchase of our Deep Purple 24K box set collection.

Deep Purple Box Set

For the first time, we are removing your membership obligation to purchase this release for many of you already have purchased these four Deep Purple classics through your club membership. We also want to inform you, if you are not among those members wishing to purchase the Deep Purple box set, your limited edition club member number will be honored and not be made available to any other consumer - it is your special number.

We too want you to know that the numbered embossed boxes will not be made available for sale as individual items. The reason for this is that each manufactured box set contains the four Deep Purple 24K CDs, but rather than our normal specially designed slip cases, the discs are packaged in un-numbered jewel cases with gleaming gold title cards placed above each original booklet.

As an added bonus, for our Club Members who purchase the box, we are enclosing an exclusive DVD of an early Deep Purple (Mark I) 1968 live performance of "Hush," which was performed on Hugh Heffner's "Playboy After Dark" at the Playboy Mansion. This performance has to be seen to be believed. This is a true time capsule.

Please let us know at your earliest convenience if you wish to purchase the Audio Fidelity Collection Deep Purple box set.

Thank you,

Marshall Blonstein - President
    Audio Fidelity-Morada Music

I guess this is the live performance referred in the email:

HAmmer likes this.
  17. HAmmer

HAmmer Forum Resident

If it had Burn and Made in Japan i'd get it
    i already have machine Head on DVD

But definitley will be getting that America release coming
    out by AF

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Get the Warners non-remastered version. It's nearly as good as the DCC.

Flaming Torch and HAmmer like this.
  19. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

20. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Ha! You've got that spot on. It really is so cheap and tacky looking.

Their artwork really let's them down. Poor and dated.

Scott J likes this.
  21. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

I may actually already have it...I'll have to check. I'm still grabbing America and Poco when AF puts those out.

22. KenJ

KenJ Forum Resident

I think the box would be appealing to those that don't already have them...especially Machine Head which is expensive today. If you have a partial set you could sell them for a premium (vs. original purchase price) and apply the funds towards the box.

I don't think the box and video are appealing enough to subscribers that already own the titles and I find it curious that AF seems to be trying to market/hype the set to subscribers. It would appear to create more frustration than excitement. The current owners want incremental content not repackaging of what they already own. This should be well known from mainstream box set fan feedback when a very small incremental set of songs are only available in an expensive box with 90%+ repeat content (i.e. many of the CD box compilations by the big labels).

I would recommend AF target subscribers with incremental content and if they wish to reprint titles then focus the marketing on new customers. If they want to bait customers with goodies like boxes and DVDs then it would be a "privilege" for subscribers to have a purchase option of just the incremental content vs. trying to market these small bits of extra as bait to re-buy something. The subscriber program would benefit by improving their benefits because today it's limited to a number, advanced & guaranteed shipment plus drawings but usually at a premium price vs. Amazon.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That's strange. As a subscriber, you already have the four discs. Instead of allowing you to buy the empty box with your number, they will make you buy the four discs again with your numbered box or they will essentially throw your box away. If that's true, then :crazy:.

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Interesting. Maybe that's a little-known secret or I just missed such comments over the years. Regardless, this is one of the more expensive DCC gold discs.

25. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.