Deep Purple 'Burn' - Happy 40th anniversary !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]

Love the first five tracks off BURN.
    But I've never been a fan of the remaining trio: "What's Goin' On Here" is a lyrical turn off ... "Mistreated" was much better live ... and "A200" is b-side filler.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member Thread Starter

Posted @ official facebook :righton:

Deep Purple's BURN ….released 40 years ago today on the 15th February 1974, this album has become one of the great rock albums of all time and featured the talents of 2 young men who were to become rock giants -David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes.
    ©Deep Purple (Overseas)

[​IMG]

3. Ramilo

Ramilo Active Member

You could argue that by the time Glover got the boot "the good thing" had already been destroyed and Blackmore had no part in it. Blame Gillan.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Returns to Credibility???? Who wrote that dribble.
    Sorry, but Who Do We Think We Are Stomps ALL over Burn.

Blastproof, Carserguev and zen like this.
  5. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

I always liked the lyric to WGOH. Thought it accurately described one of my hangovers :)

6. jon9091

Well, I wasn't there to make any arguments. I'm simply passing along the story as accounted by Mr. Glover....who was there.

JulesRules and Carserguev like this.
  7. jon9091

LOL...nice one.

The one I never got was You Fool No One. Who talks like that?

8. zen

zen Senior Member

I guess the lyrics are only part of the problem. Musically, it's solid, but, it sounds a little too late 70's comfortable, rather than early 70's cut throat rock. If that makes any sense.

9. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

About to post this in the "Listening On Vinyl" thread, inspired by this one!

tn_IMG_0927.JPG

10. jon9091

Beautiful Turntable. :thumbsup:

CusBlues and dasacco like this.
  11. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

I think this is a great Deep Purple album. I was 13 when it came out and didn't have any money at that time, so I never bought it. I also remember watching the Cal Jam performance. I thought it was a decent performance. It was probably my first chance to see Deep Purple play. After all these years, I still like the MK II band better, but Burn is definitely a bright spot in their cannon.

12. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

A great DP album all the way around from the Cover to the playing - Especially Paicey. I still spin this one on a regular basis.

13. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Picked up a lovely copy for $2.50 on Saturday. Haven't heard it in many years. On my second spin since last night. :wiggle:

14. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

My second favorite Deep Purple album after Machine Head. Coverdale and Hughes brought so much energy back into the group for this album.

supernaut likes this.
  15. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

Great album, always liked "Sail away", which they sadly never played live. But once I saw that line up on tv with Coverdale and Hughes posing like totally being in love with themselves I lost my sympathy for the new line up.
    But without seeing them the album is still great.

supernaut likes this.
  16. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

that's the one where he goes on about not wanting to see any fat people

Burn is a great album though - as has been previously stated Sail Away is a highlight - I really like The B side Coronarias Redig too - things went downhill pretty fast though - Stormbringer is a bit disappointing in comparison.

jon9091 and Carserguev like this.
  17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

HA!
    I still think of "Burn" as one of those "new Deep Purple albums".

18. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

Drop what you're doing, RUN to the record store and get California Breed. Glenn is still "Burning".

Carserguev likes this.
  19. dpv2008

dpv2008 Forum Resident

One of my favorite DP songs. By the way, Glenn Hughes played "Sail Away" in Kiev a couple of years ago...

20. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I just got some live stuff by him, and I have to admit, he does a nice job with the old stuff. He has a great backing band. Seems to really put on a good show.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Grampire

Grampire Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Did you get this?

22. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Ditto for me.

Machine Head was the first DP record that I bought. I think that was around '75 or so. My next DP record was Burn, shortly thereafter, think it was the current DP release at the time. I had no idea they even changed personnel at the time. Loved it then, love it now. DP became one of my fave bands at the time, picked up all of their albums over the next year or so and have continued to do so over the last 30-40 years (yikes!).

zen likes this.
  23. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

No, just Burning Japan Live and Soulfully Live in the City of Angels. Is that one worth getting?

24. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Just picked up a used 30th copy EMI EU with all art intact for under 10 dollars...have it on now and am happy.
    We grew up with Hush,Machine Head, Woman From Tokyo but when Burn hit I stopped listening till now.
    I think the remaster I have on now is nice, not bright...I was debating getting the single release CD that was only 7 dollars with bonus tracks as well but took a chance wanting
    the booklet....is that version the same one I have now , Mew mastering etc. anyone?

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It helps that he is not all coked up anymore. He was a little over the top on those 70's DP live albums.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.