Deep Purple 'Burn' - Happy 40th anniversary !!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ponkine, Feb 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Almost bedtime, think I'll give 'Sail Away' a loud blast before I retire for the night...

2. Tomek

Tomek Senior Member

What about "A'200" then?

3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It wasn't Rainbow, but rather something to be called Baby Face, which would be Blackmore, Paice, and Phil Lynott. Word was there was even a rehearsal before the plans were scrapped.

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That sounds familiar. Thanks!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Claus

Claus Senior Member

That's the weakest track on the album.... a filler, but the other songs sound still amazing today IMO

6. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I never thought that he sounded as heavy as Keith Moon or John Bonham, but the way that this is mixed, he's just rockin'! The snare has a lot more bite than he typically had on record. Maybe his drums should have been miked/mixed a little better. No complaints with MIJ though. ;)

7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Never liked it at first aside from the title track which I always thought was awesome. Listening to the rest of the album, it's decent, but never understood the heaping amounds of praise it got. "Sail Away" and "Mistreated" are solid but the rest of the songs especially (IMO) tossers like "Might Just Take Your Life" and "A-300" aren't in the same league as the tracks on the previous 4 albums.

8. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

There was a point-in-time where before the Mk-III formation, Ritchie & Ian Paice were secretly rehearsing with Phil Lynott, & were considering forming a power-trio in the vein of Jimi Hendrix...The managers then squared Ritchie up, & asked him what it would take for them to keep him active within Deep Purple, as they had over 11-different chart postings within Billboards top-100, at that point in 1973...Ritchie pointed out that he'd rather do his own thing, but if he must stay, he'd have Roger leave, as he didn't appreciate the things Roger was into...Ritchie also squared Roger up on the night after his last show, & is quoted as saying qt. "It's nothing personal mate, it's business"...

Roger Glover was invited to join Rainbow as a producer first & foremost. But since Ritchie didn't like Bass-guitarists who didn't use a pick, & couldn't find one, Roger ended up playing the bass-parts as well as producing the "Down to Earth" album. He then ended up playing bass on the support tour & beyond.

Ah, BURN...It's one heck of an album to introduce a new line-up isn't it ?... Arguably the best Mk-III effort in my opinion. Intense performances from everyone, & even a bit of humor with the inclusion of the crab-cream-antidote tune "A-200"...You can hear all of Ritchie's lines & licks played within that one solo if you really listen to it. I'd suggest that it was good for him to finally leave & grow as a guitar player & musician more in the years to come with Rainbow.

Cheers,

Gregster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.