Deep Purple - Fireball - Best Version - Vinyl and/or CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pudding Effect, Apr 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident Thread Starter

Got my eye on the few remaining AF gold cds that are scattered around online, aswell as some UK Harvest originals. The latter is swaying me right me due to the inclusion of 'Demon's Eye', but I wanted to see what the consensus is (if such a thing here is possible..) on the preferred version of this album. I just want to ensure that Paicey's drum into to the title track knocks me clean off my seat.

What do you guys prefer?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  2. MarkJM

MarkJM Forum Resident

Original UK vinyl for me. I like the mastering on the AF CD, but it just isn't Fireball without Demon's Eye.

3. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have the gold CD and a US WB "greenie". Both are nice, I prefer the vinyl though. I am sure the UK issue will best both that I mentioned, but you'll still need the US to have that track list.

4. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

I have the original (unremastered) UK CD, the AF remaster, the anniversary remaster, a UK Harvest vinyl first pressing, and a later UK Harvest.

Unsurprisingly my preference would be for the first press UK vinyl. On CD both the AF and UK original unremastered CD sound great. The AF is warmer and 'fleshier', the UK original slightly more lean and dry. I like the UK because it's the mastering I grew up with but it's great to have both. The anniversary remaster CD is good for the bonus tracks, but the core album sounds a bit neutered.

5. Loz

Loz Forum Resident

so true, the AF would be perfect with it :(

Carserguev likes this.
  6. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I have a UK Harvest 1st press and US WB green label 1st press. When it comes to sonics, UK all the way. It's not an audiophile recording anyways but that is my preference.

7. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I have the WB while label promo vinyl of this album. This is not a stand out recording but it isn't necessarily a bad sounding recording either. It is well enough recorded that it is very enjoyable when I do play it.

WB vinyl pressings can be had for reasonable prices if you primarily buy vinyl.

Scott

8. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Even as vinyl lover, it's not a title I got round to buying, as my EMI Australian original cd is so good! :)

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

My preference is for the original EMI Harvest UK vinyl and the original EMI UK CD. Both of these have Demon's Eye, of course, and sound much warmer than the US release.

10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

For the UK tracklisting the original UK CD. For the U.S. tracklisting the Audio Fidelity gold CD.

11. Pudding Effect

Pudding Effect Forum Resident Thread Starter

EMI Harvest UK 1st - ORDERED!

:D

12. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I could get a german first pressing for a very low price. Does it sound good ?

13. sathvyre

Now I enjoyed both german pressings (1C 062... / 1C 072...). The 1C 062... pressing (A-1 / B-1) sounds good, but it has a tape issue on "No No No" (right channel looses some treble for around 5 seconds in the second half of the song). The 1C 072.... pressing sounds fantastic...!!! But unfortunately, the printing of the gatefold cover looks a bit pale, compared to the german first pressing...but soundwise, I really like the 072 pressing !!! As i never had the chance to listen to an original UK one, I am happy with my great-sounding german LP :)

14. sathvyre

Today I received my UK LP with the A-2U / B-5 matrixes and it sounds great !!! Very different, compared to the EMI CD, but really nice and open !!! I love it :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.