Deep Purple Made In Japan - confusion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott6, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Few years ago I purchased the 1998 2 CD version of Made In Japan and loved the mix and encore CD. However I long to own a CD version of the original 2LP set. With the between song gaps and especially the 'Ian Paice on the drums, yyeahhh!' shout after the Mule.

Yesterday I purchased for a fiver in HMV the 2014 2CD deluxe edition. Again a great mix of the album which sounds awesome however again is still not an identical version of the 2LP set. Hightway Star seems to be missing a few seconds at the start again no 'Ian Paice....'.

My question - is it possible to buy a version on CD of the original album at all? I was just reading about the 1CD version from 2014 which contains '2013 remaster of the original 1972 mix of the album'.
    Is this a different version again from the 2CD deluxe version?

Any help would be appreciated!!

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

3. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

danielbravo, dlokazip and johnny q like this.
  4. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The cheapo Warners single CD from 1990 is still available new and is complete, as well as sounding excellent. The DCC version is even better.

5. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

This!!!!!

Dave likes this.
  6. Scott6

7. hammondjake

If you want the original vinyl album version on CD, including the between-song chatter, you'll need one of the original unremixed unremastered 2 CD editions. The single CD 1990 Warners release (CD 2701) has reduced running times on each track, so this will probably cut the chatter you want to hear. The double CD 1989 Warners (W2 CD 2701) does have the original running times, so should be OK.

Alternatively, the highly regarded (and highly priced!) Steve Hoffman remaster (GZS-1120) should also retain the inter-song banter (I have it, but can't recall off the top of my head).

The 2014 editions were remastered by Martin Pullan in 2013. According to Simon Robinson on the Darker Than Blue Blog:

"The Martin Pullan mixes are very good indeed and will make the 1993 set audio-wise pretty much redundant. Mind you, when comparing Highway Star from various mixes I noticed the new mix gaining but also losing some pre song talk – I’ve not compared the rest yet..."

supernaut likes this.
  8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The recent reissues of Made In Japan are very confusing, there were two persons doing remixes, and those along with a remastering of the original mix are combined in different ways on releases. Martin Pullan did the remixing for the box set, and also remastered the original, but Kevin Shirley also did a separate remix of the main album.

The double CD you bought has Kevin Shirley's remix of the main album (only available there) while the encores are Martin Pullan's remixes (same as the big box set). The single CD you mention has Martin Pullan's remastering of the original album (again I think only available here), so you could get that. I think the big box set is all remixes by Martin Pullan and does not include the original mix.

I don't have the single disc remaster, but I think this is it on Spotify, and it seems to be the complete album: Made In Japan (Original 1972 Mix) »

This does not have the original mix, but again has (an earlier set of) remixes (it does include between song "banter" though).

I have both the original EMI and Warner CD's, and while I don't have time to compare them to the LP to see what's missing, they seem to be close contentwise to each other, running 76:46 and 77:04 respectively. They have the mentioned "Ian Paice on the drums, yyeeess!", but the songs have fades at the beginning and end, cutting off some other "banter".

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Dave Hoos likes this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

10. hammondjake

"Can we have everything confusinger than everything else..."

11. Scott6

Thanks for all the support on this one. First time I have posted despite reading the forum for years. Damn confusing is Made In Japan! Think for time being I will stick with the 3 I have (Live In Japan, black cover 2 CD version and 2014 2CD remaster. The 2 CD deluxe edition from 2014 does sound totally incredible. I am sure I can live without hearing Ian Gillan scream Paice's name after the Mule (well I think I can).

Dave Hoos likes this.
  12. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Are you sure that Warner issued the album on 2 CDs in 1989?

The W2 applied to issues of the single CD. Discogs lists a double CD on Purple Records: Deep Purple - Made In Japan »

Murph and dlokazip like this.
  13. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I was wondering if I had missed it as well........only ever heard of a single CD original Warners version.

dlokazip likes this.
  14. screechmartin

screechmartin Senior Member

So, I have to ask: Does one need the Kevin Shirley mix if one is a "Made in Japan" obsessive? I have the 3 disc Live in Japan set that was released in Europe in the 1990's. I haven't listened to it for awhile but I recall the mix being strikingly different. I also have the recent box set, in which I take it that all 3 concerts + encores were remixed by Martin Pullan, and so represents a third version of the tracks from the original album.

15. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

And what of the Blu-Ray?

Dave Hoos likes this.
  16. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

The 1998 remaster sounds great. The original vinyl is the best version.

17. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I actually don't have any of these latest versions, I have too much Deep Purple already! But when this was discussed in the past I took careful notes, because this was so confusing... I remember Martin Pullan's work was generally praised, I guess it was especially the rimixes in the box set, don't remember any word on the remastering of the original mix. Kevin Shirley mix on the other hand was very critisized for both it's mix and mastering, and I'm not really sure why that even exists. If one is a Made In Japan obsessive I guess it's essential because it is yet another different mix. This is the Kevin Shirley mix on Spotify, for anyone who wants to have a listen: Made In Japan (Deluxe / 2014 Remaster) »

I posted a Spotify link to what is labeled "original 1972 mix", but I listened to it now and it does not have the Ian Paice comment after "The Mule", so I'm not sure what's going on there (it's not the same as the one I linked above though)... :confused:

I also thought the 1998 remaster the OP mentions was the original mix as on the LP... (I guess I have listened to the LP so much that I haven't really paid attention to what goes on on all the CD versions.) Now I'm more confused than ever, the Ian Paice comment is there on the old CDs, how can it be gone on these later versions if they are the original mix?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  18. pool_of_tears

Warner disc is 1 cd.

One question I have...on the 1998 remaster, are the bonus tracks vintage unused mixes, or newly mixed in 1998. They are mixed well, and sound much better mix-wise than the 1993 3 cd set. but the Peter Mew's mastering of the original album leaves a LOT to be desired. The EQ is way off, the songs and applause are all mixed together. I don't line that kind of tampering. Gillan's scream, post-The Mule, of "Ian Paice on the drums, YES!" was excluded. That's blasphemy.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
    Man at C&A likes this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yes, the original "plain vanilla" Warner Bros. Records double album on a single CD is still in print, inexpensive and it sounds really good.

20. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It doesn't say anything about remixing, but both "Speed King and "Lucille" were previously unreleased, so I guess they must be.

But how did this happen if it wasn't remixed?

21. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

What of it? I like. (We're talking the music Blu-ray Audio Disc, correct?)
    Sounds excellent throughout.

I like the DVD-Video Disc found inside the big Deluxe MADE IN JAPAN set, too, but it's a documentary. It is (or was) available as a standalone DVD in Japan last year.

22. pool_of_tears

Well, the three bonus tracks might've been mixed in 1972, but not sure.

Re: The Mule, it was a case of applause cross faded in, while Ian's yell was faded out

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Would this be the "Warner Archives/Rhino R2 75623" release dated 1998?
    Bar Code: 0 8122-75623-2 8

24. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

all you need to know is here : Made in Japan (Deep Purple album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ». however the black jacket cd with the encores is one of the worst sounding( compression, eq, etc) . prefer the gold jacket 1st version of EMI.

25. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

EMI ‎– 7243 8 57864 2 6, EMI ‎– 857 8642

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.