Deep Purple Made In Japan - confusion!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott6, Apr 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I took "screwed up", as originally used by RockWizard, to mean he makes a mistake, which it sounds like he does on the Tokyo take, but it's hard to say what's happening without being there, maybe it's intentional. (Why is Gillan laughing? Is Blackmore clowning around?) The second Osaka night is definitely done on purpose, playing the riff single string adding drone notes, so I don't call that "screwed up", as in making a mistake, it is intentional. I get what you are saying, and it would have made sense if they had edited the extra two rounds off, but since they didn't the intro is still not right, so I maintain that he messed around (as in toyed, had fun) with it all three nights.

2. FoxbatF

FoxbatF Forum Resident

Agreed. And as with every Purple concert- that's what makes them the best live band. No one knows (often even themselves) what will happen and where it might take them.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sorry, Rock!!!

rstamberg likes this.
  4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

No prob!

John Buchanan likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I missed the complete (deluxe or whatever it was called) Made In Japan concerts. How did that set sound compared to the better sounding CDs?

6. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I buy mostly records so I have no other CD releases to compare it to. I have no problems with the box set's SQ. I'm sure someone will chime in.

7. zen

zen Senior Member

It didn't sound as good, as you might except. But the mix (ie: blending of instruments) was close to ideal.
    And since I'm not too worried about SQ, the mix was a dream come true for this old fan. Very enjoyable.

danielbravo likes this.
  8. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

My memory is foggy but......I remember having the vinyl, then the CD, then either the 3CD set then DCC. Believe I had the 2CD set also(the "remastered" one).

rstamberg likes this.
  9. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The DCC is the best sounding version I have heard on CD.

John Buchanan likes this.
  10. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Well, I guess it depends on which one you mean, because the latest 2014 remasters came in three distinct flavours:

4 CD + DVD + 7" box set, or 9 LP box set, remixed by Martin Pullan: Deep Purple - Made In Japan » / Deep Purple - Made In Japan »
    2 CD, main album (CD1) remixed by Kevin Shirley, encores (CD2) remixed by Martin Pullan (same as box set): Deep Purple - Made In Japan »
    1 CD original mix remastered by Martin Pullan: Deep Purple - Made In Japan »

There are two old threads that contain discussion about sound:
    Deep Purple - Made In Japan 40th Anniversary Box Set »
    Deep Purple 'Made in Japan' - Happy 40th Anniversary !!!!! »

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    hvbias, JulesDassin and rstamberg like this.
  11. hammondjake

hammondjake Forum Resident

Senior moment on my part! I do indeed have the original UK release on SINGLE cd.

What got me thinking seniorly about fades etc was the timing discrepancies between these two US Warner versions (which may only be Discogs innaccuracies anyway):

2701-2
    W2 2701

Anyways, I have the UK original and the DCC and they are definitely different in sonic presentation (and price), but nostalgia has me preferring the original, even if I'm equally happy to listen to either. If you don't have the funds for the DCC, then spring for one of the cheap UK/US originals - they sound great.

Re. Blackmore's Smoke riff 'mistake' - I've always been of the opinion that he's just fooling around in his own inimitable style (to paraphrase Paicey, 'I wrote it so I'll bloody well play it how I like') and have never thought of it as any kind of clam or ploy.

danielbravo likes this.
  12. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Agreed, 100%

13. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

I had not heard this CD for a long time, Woao, excellent sound ! Paradoxically is quite economical compared to the newly remastered versions that are a little more expensive.

rstamberg likes this.
  14. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

15. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

So, let me see if I've got this right...to get the best sounding CD release of Made In Japan (not counting the Gold CD), it's either the original, single CD version, or the recent 2CD remaster with all the encores. And then there's the Blu-ray Audio version, which, by all accounts, is excellent. It seems any of these will be an improvement over the '98 edition, which is the one I've been listening to. Am I on the right track?

Then there's the MFiT downloads of the album. Are these the same as the 2014 remasters?

16. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

The 2-CD has the Kevin Shirley remix for the main album, which most people agree is not one of the best alternatives. The most recent single disc has the Martin Pullan remastering of the original mix (possibly with some different editing/cross-fading between songs, I'm loosing track of that part). I tried to sum up the recent releases as concisely as possible above.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  17. Dave Hoos

Thanks for that. This appears as easy as finding your way through all the different versions of '60's Who singles!

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Yes, they really made a mess with that last batch of reissues, where each of the three configuration has a different version of the main album, and also without clearly advertising these differences. I wonder if they didn't make a mistake with at least one of them, it seems so random...

I would say an easy way to get a good sounding version, without to much complications, is the latest stand alone remaster. Of course the old CDs, both EMI and WB, are plentiful as well, these are all good options, but I will leave it to others to decide between them.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    Dave Hoos likes this.
  19. Dave Hoos

Sorry, I was confusing the two. I might just try the MFiT download (or as you suggested, the latest stand alone CD) of the original mix and try and track down an old '89 CD. And maybe the Blu-ray for the encores.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  20. old school

old school Senior Member

Pick up the Warner Brothers CD much better sound then those remasters. If you can swing it the best version of Made in Japan is are hosts DCC Gold disc.

zen and Spitfire like this.
  21. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I see that on Spotify the latest reissues are actually quite clearly labeled, the 2-CD (called "Deluxe") credits Shirley for the first disc and Pullan for the second, and also says "2014 Remaster" (even if "remix" would have been better), while the single disc credits Pullan, and also says "Original 1972 Mix". (The big box set isn't on Spotify.)

22. zen

zen Senior Member

SQ aside, I actually enjoyed Caveman Shirley's remixes. At times, it was like hearing different performances. For great SQ, get the original WB CD for a very small fee.

Dave Hoos and John Buchanan like this.
  23. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Why did the Blu Ray Audio disappear so quickly?

24. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Just nabbed the DCC Gold for $ 51.00 (including shipping) this week !!! I hope this is a good price for this!

25. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

very bad reputation : brickwalled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.