Deep Purple - Mark I - 5CD-Set "Hard Road" - July 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dirie, Jun 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

For me, it sounds way too distant, compared to the original sound I am used to since 35 years...

2. Bumping an old thread, but after acquiring the 1989 Japan WB CD for the 1st album and comparing it to the new remaster, I have to say that I prefer the former. To my ears the EQ is better, and intriguingly the ending of "Hey Joe" (which is present here, by the way) appears to be sourced from tape... unlike the 1989 Parlophone CD which definitely sources the ending from vinyl!

But most of all, I noticed the new 2014 remaster of the 1st album (note that I didn't notice anything like this on the other 2 albums) appears to be narrowed... contents of the right channel are blended in with the left, and vice versa. The stereo narrowing is pretty significant compared to other CDs of the 1st album. It's most noticeable on "Love Help Me"; the intro has the left channel virtually silent (except for tape hiss), but on the new remaster the ocean sounds that are supposed to be panned hard-right are clearly audible in the left channel!

Not even the 2000 Peter Mew-mastered CD is this narrowed (although it DOES introduce a new volume imbalance to the left; I guess he thought he needed to balance out the stereo imaging of "And The Address"?)...

3. sathvyre

I don't like the latest remaster - it has serious azimuth issues which were probably caused by narrowing the stereo image. I own the 1989 Japan CD and a 1998 Japan remaster on CD and both sound stunning !!! Except a very minor tape issue in "I'm So Glad", these versions are fantastic.

4. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Snagged it for $20 shipped

:goodie:

Brenald79, dlokazip, zen and 2 others like this.
  5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Brenald79 and eelkiller like this.
  6. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

7. sathvyre

...except "Sahed Of Deep Purple". Sounds like taken from a tape with azimuth errors. I also don't like the EQ and prefer the 1989 Japan CD instead.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  8. The Lew

The Lew Senior Member

On MK 1 I just have a little 3 CD EMI box which includes Deep Purple, Shades Of Deep Purple and The Book Of Taliesyn. Extra tracks on all 3 albums. Looks like it's a 2000 release and according to the CD covers, a digital remaster. Where does this set fit in to things?

9. Maidenpriest

If you prefer your music with blatant obvious clicks during Blackmore's solo's and a Cd made from a vinyl needle dropped Rock on\m/, but I was happy to ditch my originals 3 Cd box (although I still have it), the sound is brilliant on this newer set, not loud or heavily compressed etc and the tape does not sound like it has Azimuth issues to my ears although your post has made me curious to listen and compare again, which version Mono or Stereo ??

townsend likes this.
  10. Maidenpriest

100 times better, no noise reduction for starters :)

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I don't like it! Many pressings are better than the 2000 remasters.

kevin5brown likes this.
  12. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Just now picked this box up.

13. sathvyre

Azimuth issues are audible on many songs of "Shades", especially "And The Address" and "Hush". The mono version is unlistenable for my ears, I can't stand that watery sound of the cymbals and all that stuff...

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I would guess that the issue is the stereo mix not being compatible with mono, rather than an azimuth issue.

15. sathvyre

No, these are clearly azimuth issues, caused by downmixing some stuff during the recording process or a transfer from the mastertape (or a copy) with a misaligned machine. There are other versions out there with less azimuth issues.

16. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The sound of the mono CDs are not dissimilar sounding to listening to the stereo with the mono button on my receiver engaged. The phasing sounds similar on mono and stereo. Which editions have you found with less azimuth issues?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  17. sathvyre

And exactly these phasing errors are azimuth issues. The 1989 Japan CD has less phasing, also the two songs on "Singles A's & B's".

dlokazip likes this.
  18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Any consensus about the Stereo/Mono versions of the first 2 albums?
    Which one is better?

19. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

do you know what is the dynamic range of the CDs of this "hard road" box ? thanks.

20. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I believe they are the same masterings as the HDTracks versions listed on the DR Database. The HD Downloads only include the stereo mixes and have no bonus tracks though. The Hard Road box set doesn't sound compressed to my ears.

21. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I know the hard, driving sound of the 2000 Mew Spitfires is hated here but, by comparison, on the Box version of the Self Titled , the vocals are mixed so far back. On April, as they emerge from the symphonic section, you can barely hear Evans' vocals at the end of the track.
    I wish they could have brought the vocals up a bit on this set.

22. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

To be fair, I A/B'd my Spitfire Deep Purple - April with the box version and the Spitfire vocal is very subdued as well. I guess that's what Mr. Pearce had to work with.
    I compared the Eagle Book of T. with the box as well. On the chorus on the first track, there is much less distortion on the box version. In terms of clarity, the box is as good as it gets for these releases.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

I know that section. Buried vocal moment.
    However, it is rather apropos, due to the band wanting to play louder and poor Rod not having the pipes to cut through on stage.

By the way, the other apropos ending comes from the final MKII album, "The Battle Rages On." The closing section features everyone, but Blackmore, as the song fades out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  24. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Gentlemen, I just received my copy of this box, I'd never heard the third album before. Is "Chasing Shadows" supposed to be cut off at the end? The track is 5:36 and it cuts off at 5:31. Is this the way the LP is? Also, "Lalena" seems to be missing the last second or two of the recording.

25. Yes, "Chasing Shadows" has a cold ending on the original releases. It gets faded out on some releases, like "Purple Passages".

I have to double check again with regards to "Lalena".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.