Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers (I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by gener8tr, Sep 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I agree. There was more than enough filler on the original CD. What kind of masochist would want a 3 Cd set?

2. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

Are you kiddin? This is the best Purple album in my book, a classic from start to finish. I would buy a 10-CD set in a heartbeat!

3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I'm not interested either.

4. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

*YAWN*

5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've just never been one to be all that interested in outtakes of previously released material, demo versions and alternate mixes. I usually listen to them once or twice but I'd usually rather listen to the finished product as it is. If you were talking about 10 discs of previously unreleased songs, that would be a different matter!

6. Baldoni

Baldoni New Member

Looks like a half assed effort. Guess I'll stick with my Japanese SHM cd.

7. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Bitch bitch bitch, moan moan moan. :D

8. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Further details are emerging from the DPAS courtesy of Mr Simon Robinson. http://darkerthanblue.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/perfect-strangers-reissue/

Perfect Strangers is getting the Universal Remastered treatment this summer. Roger Glover first talked about a special edition for the 25th Anniversary of the album back in 2009. Incredibly they were unable to find the multi-track tapes, which effectively means that a remix wasn’t possible. This is a shame as the very 80s production sound hasn’t worn well in places (some of us dared to say so at the time but such comments didn’t go down very well! I’m still off Ritchie’s Christmas card list…). Let’s hope it the tapes turn up somewhere and haven’t gone for good.
    So what to include instead? CD1 will be the straight remaster (including the original non-album track Not Responsible – which was later fitted onto the picture disc vinyl edition). Given that this album was remastered for CD as recently as 1999 it’s not certain how much this will improve the audio.
    CD2 is an odds and ends disc with some tracks from Knebworth (which is already released as a stand-alone package), the b-side Son Of Alerik and more from the instrumental jam out-takes (which is where Alerik originated). Fans with long memories will recall the announcement of a Japanese compilation called The Best of Deep Purple in the 80s, issued in 1991. To give this added value the Japanese asked for any extra tracks and Glover went back through the reference tapes and in particular a couple of the long instrumental jams which had taken place during the preparation for the album. He pulled two sections out which he felt stood up, and these were selected as the two bonus tracks. Promo tapes went out – with the new material on – but the tracks disappeared before the CD was pressed (Cosmic Jazz and RUIR I think were the titles – the latter turning out to be a typing error for RIJIR – from the initials of the band’s christian names). It was thought that not everyone in the band wanted this material out, hence it being pulled.
    Again if you remember Knebworth coming out, this wasn’t complete as the BBC had already erased a couple of tracks from their recording. We managed to replace some from off-air recordings but Under The Gun had gone for good. So they’ve added a version of it here from the show in Paris (along with the audio off the slightly longer promo video studio version).
    CD3 will be the old Interview Disc Polydor issued as a promo for the album back in late 1984. This was from exclusive interviews done by the late Phil Easton. There was an American interview disc as well but I don’t think this will be included.

Perfect Strangers Japan original insert
    It all highlights the difficulties of working with the band’s back-catalogue of this period; there are concert recordings of the era which would serve fans better as bonus material than recycling Knebworth but after so long I guess we’re reaching the stage where most fans have given up and got most of what they want on bootleg. Quite why just one track from Paris for example but not others?
    The packaging follows along the same lines as the Rainbow remasters (part is shown here). I always really disliked the original album cover, a logo so contrived and ugly that it quickly vanished after the tour. So here’s the Japanese limited edition cover instead! You can refresh yourself on the discography at
    Perfect Strangers DPAS Discography
    It’s fun to look back and recall the excitement of 1984/5 of course. Collectors searching all over for the interview discs (which were pressed in quite low numbers): The kudos of being able to get one of the advance album sales brochures carried by Polydor reps (which showed an early version of the cover): Nabbing the special stand-up box which stores displayed the 7″ version of the single in: And of course the eager discussions over the merits of the album itself amongst fans. And all of this more than a quarter of a century ago – just to make everyone feel their age!

Attached Files:

9. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I don't mind a remaster of the album, the interviews and outtakes as long as it's mastered well. Couldn't they dig up a multitrack recording from the 1985 leg of the tour? Surely there must've been at least one show recorded. The Paris and Knebworth shows are among the more average shows from that tour.

10. dphilippov

dphilippov Forum Resident

As good as In Rock in mine, and one of my top 10 albums of all time. Also I consider it the greatest reunion album ever. A Hoffmanized reissue would be an automatic buy for me. Any other remaster? No, I think I'll stick with a needledrop of my Dutch pressing LP and several CD copies from 80s and 90s.

11. moops

moops Senior Member

12. Javimulder

Javimulder New Member

Actually, the audio could improve quite a bit over that '99 edition, dear Simon... :agree:

Whether it will is an entirely different matter! :sigh:

13. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

As someone who first heard Deep Purple (consciously) when I was five years old, having Perfect Strangers come out when I was in high school was a very cool moment.

My crowd had already become familiar with Deep Purple's entire catalog thanks to me playing everything from Why Didn't Rosemary to Gettin' Tighter many times for them.

14. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I was just waxing nostalgic with my Perfect Strangers CD. You are so right about what it was like at the time. I was in high school when this came out and thought it was amazing. I actually saw one of the first nights of that US tour in Dallas in I think January 1985. I did not know their back catalog very well and it was the first time I heard "Child In Time". I couldn't say now if it was great performance or not, but it blew me away at the time. I think it was actually my first concert ever and what a way to get started. I saw them again at the 1985 Texxas Jam at what I believe was their final US show for that tour.

I kind of grew out of the album later and haven't listed to it much in the past 10 years. Playing it again, I still think it has some great stuff, but it's hard for me to distance from the nostalgia effect. Back in 1985 I think my favorites were Knocking At Your Back Door and Perfect Strangers. Now it would probably be Gypsy's Kiss and Wasted Sunsets.

15. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I dunno, I have the Japanese SHM-CD in a cardboard sleeve along with the original day-of-release vinyl ... do I need more?

I wish they'd get around to fixing HOUSE OF BLUE LIGHT, though. It's unconscionable that the wrong version is still the only version available.

16. I didn't know there was an official live release from the "PERFECT STRANGERS" tour...I gotta track this down!

17. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

It all depends on the mastering and I'm not getting my hopes up.

18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

In The Absence of Pink (here's some blues, geddit?;))

Attached Files:

19. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Amazon.ca is listing an SHM-CD for this coming at end of December. Anyone have insight as to if it is worth getting?

20. Atari265278

Atari265278 Forum Resident

Whatever happened to the deluxe edition?:confused:

21. zen

zen Senior Member

Maybe they realized it was a rip off and they've gone back to the drawing board. Perhaps remixing it and looking at reunion shows for a bonus DVD? Naaaaa...

22. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Delayed until spring 2012.

23. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I remember buying this back on the day of release. It is a decent album, but the 80s musical climate wasn't friendly to the sounds and styles of the classic 70s bands. This was very evident to me during my last spin on this album. I remember reading interviews with the band at the time where they were defending the more streamlined songs. I also remember Genesis, ELP, Rush and Yes also defending themselves against similar accusations. Funny how all the 70s stuff that was supposedly horribly dated during the 70s sounds so timeless now while the 80s stuff sounds dreadfully dated.

There was supposed to be a making of album video that was supposed to be released on good ol' VHS following the album release. Whatever happened to that?

24. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

They probably trimmed the 850 hours of footage to make the Perfect Strangers video ;)

25. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

Yup. They have plenty of footage for another addition to Classic Album series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.