Deep Purple touring with Judas Priest

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by head_unit, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Not true.
    He just cant sing like he did in 1972.

There are lots of different reasons why people would want to see this, and the promoters obviously see value in it.
    To me it looks like a free or $10 show at the end of the summer with 2 bands that have a pretty awesome back catalog along with new material.
    If the weather is good, Ill probably take a ride up to the venue and enjoy the show.

head_unit, DME1061, MYQ1 and 2 others like this.
  2. Efus

Efus Senior Member

CC DeVille and Izzy Stradlin, great time to catch Halford singing Poison and GnR covers.....

Its Faulkner and Sneap (Firepower producer) on guitar for Priest.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I’m afraid Deep Purple will get blown off the stage again, like they did with Alice Cooper.

4. drapes

drapes Forum Resident

I'm not so sure. The last time I saw Priest, maybe 3 years ago, they were simply awful. Glenn's solo in Beyond the Realms of Death was literally the only highlight and now we don't even have that to look forward to.

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

It's a double headlining bill.

6. BluesOvertookMe

Two great bands that have created so much joy and excitement over the decades, and people feel the need to come into this thread and get negative. I don't understand.

7. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Because they are charging 2018 prices for what folks think is inferior music.
    I don't have a dog in this hunt, just pointing out why.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  8. BluesOvertookMe

inferior to what?

Efus, Zeki and Jimmy Agates like this.
  9. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I've never seen Deep Purple before, but I've seen Judas Priest twice. August 2008 and october 2014, and both times were pretty awesome. My friend and i noticed something seemed off with Glenn at the 2014 show, but they still sounded great to us.

I do find it sad that both KK and Glenn are no longer in the touring lineup, but I'm also looking forward to hearing songs from the Firepower album live onstage at the same time!

Doggiedogma likes this.
  10. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

sorry -- some of their past great and classic songs and performances.
    I was responding to the question as to why there were so many negative responses to this tour.
    I would like to see both bands -- I just don't like to go to venues over 3000 people anymore.

11. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Why bother to threadcrap? You simply do not have to post here.

theshape likes this.
  12. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Saw Priest/Maiden tour in '82, Screaming for Vengeance and Number of the Beast tour, a spectacular show, both bands in their prime, this is one of those shows that I'll never forget.

13. bladerunner555

bladerunner555 Forum Resident

Its too bad that Child In Time was dropped from the set list years a go.It's my fave DP song,but i don't even want to think about Gillan attempting that one at his age.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

The aforementioned Dio, Deep Purple & Scorpions tour from 2003 sounds awesome!
    Shame I missed it.

Northwind likes this.
  15. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Call it what you like but what is the difference who ever closes is the Headline act

16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

...for the evening, in the case of this tour.

It'll be an interesting crowd, not so sure Id want to follow the intensity of a Judas Priest set, but thats my opinion.
    But DP can put together a powerful rock set as well. Play a couple new numbers, then

Doggiedogma and Maidenpriest like this.
  17. Metalrob

Metalrob Forum Resident

That is so true i am sorry to say.Ian Gillan sounds terrible these days.It is actually difficult to explain how terrible it is.You have to see and hear it.It almost works in the studio though,liked the two latest ones.
    However....Rob Halford is on fire right now,so i would go just to see the Priest! And the new album is their best since 1984 IMO.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  18. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

^^^Yeah - I saw the NJ Priest show recently and this is the best I have seen Halford sing live in a very long time. However, the band as it is right now, is the Rob Halford/Richie Faulkner show - which is a new dynamic, not the way it should be. However, given the circumstances, it is the only way it can be. If I didn't see the earlier Priest show, I would probably take in the double bill, I don't mind the newer DP stuff and always thought Morse earned his spurs in that band a long time ago.

Efus, Doggiedogma and Metalrob like this.
  19. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

Within the next few years many of these s classic rock bands will be retired. Let's just enjoy whatever is left before it's all done.

20. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I’m sure it’s still gonna be Faulkner and Sneap. I was lucky to see Glenn come out on the encore at their show in Newark NJ but I doubt he’s gonna do that at every show.

tkl7 and Efus like this.
  21. KankRat

KankRat Forum Resident

I saw Purple on the Perfect Strangers tour. His voice was beginning to poop out back then. Part of it though is the high bar he set in the early 70's. Nobody had a voice like him and I doubt they ever will. Not just the high register stuff.

To me if you don't hold him to that Jesus Christ Superstar status the new stuff sounds pretty good for what it is.

The rest of the band is playing great together. There was no better replacement for Jon Lord than Don Airey. Frankly when they all started jamming, it really sounds like their hearts are all in it. Not sure that I can say that for the 80's lin-up.

zen and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. Bathory

Bathory 30 yr Single Malt, not just for breakfast anymore

my show is a wednesday night...A WEDNESDAY NIGHT....F'N REALLY - WEDNESDAY !..

nope. idiots, they reserve all the skinny jean scream crapola and the sonically superior rap shows for the weekends.

joke. enjoy if going....

im mad

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I think he did irreparable damage to his voice on the Sabbath-Born Again album/tour.
    Plus he smoked cigarettes for god knows how many years. And he sounds like it.

Anyway, good luck to both bands. Enjoy the show if you go.

24. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Saw a headline for this and got VERY excited. Then saw that it was a US tour rather than a UK tour and got VERY depressed:cry:

25. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

C'mon, ya gotta "Lick It Up"! Don't you want to "Rock And Roll All Night"?!? (That said, yeah Fleetwood Mac at the Forum on Tuesday and Thursday...and San Diego on a Saturday? OK, it's a stadium I guess but it does seem like a lot of big shows skip the weekend. Venue rental is cheaper?).
    --> Just GO if you want to see it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.