Deep Purple's Fireball best Record pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tony-A, May 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony-A

Tony-A Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi Folks,

Fireball is one of my favorite Deep Purple record. I just love the direction they took with this album and the variety of style. That being said, it has been very difficult for me to find the best pressing for this record. I have the original US first pressing (Greenie), not bad, but it has a lot of surface noise. I also have the German pressing and is ok, but not better than the US. I recently purchased the UK original pressing through Discogs, but unfortunately I had to return the copy. The description listed the LP as NM condition, and I can’t comprehend, or understand how the seller and I were so apart on the grading. I did get a full refund. This pressing was a tad better than the US pressing and way better than the German. Lastly, and to my surprise, the Dutch pressing is the best sounding of all the Fireball pressings that I have heard. But again, this record has a lot of surface noise, even though visually it look stunning. I was able to find another copy through Discog and I’m hoping this will be it.

Anybody else has any experience searching for this title or enjoy the pressing that currently owns?

Here are the pressings that I have or listen to:

1) UK Pressing Harvest ‎– SHVL 793

• Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A Stamped ): SHVL 793A-2U
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout Side A Etched): PE K
    • Matrix / Runout (Runout Side B Stamped ): SHVL 793B-3U
    2) Dutch Pressing Harvest ‎– 5C 062-92726

• Matrix / Runout (A-Side Runout, Etched): 1C 062-92726-1
    • Matrix / Runout (B-Side Runout, Etched): 1C 062-92726-2
    Manufactured By – BOVEMA - Holland

3) German Pressing Harvest ‎– 1C 062 - 92 726

• Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 - Etched A): 1C 062 92726-1
    • Matrix / Runout (Variant 1 - Etched B): 1C 062 92726-2
    Manufactured By – Electrola Gesellschaft m.b.H.

4) US Pressing Warner Bros. Records ‎– BS 2564

• Matrix / Runout (A Side Etch): BS-2564 39851-1 SG
    • Matrix / Runout (B Side Etch): BS-2564 39852-1 SG

Opeth likes this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have 2 early US green label copies w/SG, also always enjoyed the 25th anniversary cd's with all the bonus material. Bought those when they came out and who can forget the Audio Fidelity versions. MKII albums are some of my all time favorite albums.

I always wanted a UK or Dutch with Demons Eye instead of Strange kind of woman but big $$

3. Tony-A

Yeah...the 25th anniversary sure had a lot of bonus material.

I have spent a lot of crazy time and effort trying to get the best pressing on this one.:crazy:

Peace,
    Tony

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  4. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I have the UK Fireball with same 2U, 3U matrices with PEK on Side A that you have listed and this is the best I've heard. PEK is George "porky" Pekham, so that's quite a pedigree. I upgraded from an early US copy.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

The only vinyl version I have is an early 80s US pressing. Considering that this is never going to be audiophile quality, it's a satisfying listen. The cool thing about the early 80s Deep Purple vinyl WB releases is that they all had inner sleeves very similar to the thinner Diskeeper sleeves so that 35 years later, they are still in near mint condition. Plenty of ringwear on the outer sleeves though. Still, I'd love to hear an original UK and will probably fork over as soon as funds allow. I've tackled and completed first UK pressings of all of Sabbath's 70s records and Deep Purple will be next. Sorry to hear you had a lousy experience on Discogs. The grading system-and seller interpretations of them-can be quite frustrating.

6. Tony-A

I don't let the Discogs experience bug me. I also have some good score there. The seller was very good and provided me with a full refund including shipping.

Peace,
    Tony

7. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

The CD of the anniversary edition sounds pretty good and the bonus jams add a lot to the album (unlike pretty much every other bonus track on this kind of rerelease)

If you're looking to eliminate surface noise digital may be a nice call?

Opeth likes this.
  8. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I like the Peter Mew cd mastering he did for the anniversary versions in the 90's, plus the bonus material really was great stuff. The shades of deep purple box set has most of that stuff too. That's where I heard demons eye and black night for the first time !

Haggis Wampovich and Carserguev like this.
  9. Tony-A

I own the 25th anniversary CD and it does come in handy, but I rather play the record when I really want to crank it up :righton:

Peace,
    Tony

10. Tony-A

On the digital side, I really do like the Japanese mini LP of the The Books of Taliesyn, Shades of Deep Purple, and S/T (first three) from the late 90's.

Peace,
    Tony

11. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

All I own is the recent Rhino US release from a couple years back. Sounds great to me. And the quality of the textured gatefold sleeve is very good.

ODShowtime likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

One of my favorite DP albums as well, and I've had many of these pressings.

Try this recent remaster. It sounds quite a bit like the old EMI CD which had a nice warm sound to it. The low end and the kick drum sound really good on here, where they can sound thin on many pressings.

Deep Purple - Fireball (Vinyl) - Amazon.com Music

dkmonroe and Tony-A like this.
  13. Tony-A

Funny.....if there's one album that would make me change completely from analog to digital to eliminate surface nosie....will be this album. But is the only one that I have had so many issue with surface noise. I can't say the same for In Rock (US pressing 1st ), Machine Head (US original), WDWTWA (US Original), Burn (Dutch 1st pressing), Stormbringer (Kendun), Come in taste the band (Kendun), Perfect Starnger (US original), House of the Blue light (US original) and the amazing Made in Japan (UK/Pecko) the best live album -- ever, plus some of the newer stuff.

Peace,
    Tony

vonseux likes this.
  14. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I have 3 copies on lp, but I do not have the deadwax info handy at the moment. I would rank them as so:

1) German Harvest
    2) UK Harvest picture disc from the 80s (believe it or not)
    3) US WB greenie (dead last--way too bright)
    None of these is particularly noisy as far as I can recall. Sounds like the OP has just had some bad luck with this title.

I cannot endorse any recommendations for the Anniversary cd. Sorry (but the bonus content is indeed worthwhile).

Tony-A likes this.
  15. Tony-A

Hey Jon,
    Who mastered this issue?

Thanks in advance,
    Tony

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Mastered By [1/2 Speed Abbey Road] – Miles Showell

zen and Tony-A like this.
  17. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

I remember buying this in bristols first virgin records for the princely sum or £2.79 must have been about 1976,
    Played the other day sounded remarkably good, demons eye is my fav from that lp but have a soft spot for anyone's daughter .
    Simon.

patrickd likes this.
  18. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

I 'delayed' buying Fireball for a number of years. The one I have, is the UK 2nd press on vinyl, cut by Harry T. Moss. From what I remember, it sounds good overall, but suffers from constant distortion in the background (I believe this is a fault with cooling temperatures in manufacturing?). My Made Europe is the same (also HTM). Consequently, I sometimes play the Picture Disc LP (Harvest with Poster, mid 80's), which doesn't have that particular problem. But, probably far from the best.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  19. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

I like Anyones Daughter as well, but you know it's a joke song right? ;)

20. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Ah yeah

21. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

Miles Showell knows what he's doing in my opinion - I've several lps that are half speed mastered by him and they are superb.

22. julesd68

julesd68 Forum Resident

I've got the UK pressing SHVL 793A-2U. Beautiful textured gatefold sleeve.
    I was really lucky with the vinyl as well - lovely pressing and nearly as quiet as a cd!!

Musicman1963 and Tony-A like this.
  23. Tony-A

Well I have to say that I got super lucky.... I was able to score a Dutch pressing in excellent condition for less than US$18 (including shipping).

Like I mentioned previously, I own this same pressing but is almost unlistenable due to the surface noise. I always considered it my favorite pressing.

I'm playing it loud right now, and I'm in heaven :agree:

Peace,
    Tony

Geordie777, curbach and vonseux like this.
  24. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Sometimes you just have to try again :agree:

Tony-A likes this.
  25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Both this and the 1/2 speed mastered In Rock are great reissues. If only all vinyl LP represses were this good.

Munger74 and jon9091 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.