Def Leppard - Hysteria (30th Anniversary Edition)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Any chance the remastering will be better than 2007? That DE was loud.

Live material looks very good. I caught that tour in Portland OR in Dec '87.

c-eling likes this.
  2. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Smoother and less raw too. I loved the original four b-sides and have long wished for a version of the album sans Mutt production. :D

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

Wow, all that and no 5.1. Head-scratcher.

Hysteria is such a weird record for me. As a glammy pop-metal freak of the 80s, this record should have been a favorite but it didn't click with me at all. First issue, just too much production. Another thing, a song like Animal for instance is really strange to me; Absolutely hate the chorus, but it has one of my favorite 'pre-chorus' or 'bridges' of all-time. Bizzare! :)

Then about 6-7 years ago I started picking up the guitar on a regular basis and more recently, breaking down songs from this record. A buddy of mine was a fan so at his request we worked on a few tracks including Hysteria & PSSOM playing different parts. I just had a blast playing them and for the first time started to appreciate just how intricate and tasteful they are. (well, maybe not PSSOM but I digress)

In summary, I like this record now a lot more than I did when it hit the streets.

Tree of Life and Juggsnelson like this.
  4. cincyjim

cincyjim Senior Member

August 4, 2017.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. DirkGentlyUK

DirkGentlyUK Forum Resident

I just showed my MFSL Hysteria CD the door to make room in my life for an original LP. I think i'm set, although i'd be lying if i said i wasn't curious about the upcoming remastering. Not going to get my hopes up though.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Well this is...underwhelming. Couldn't they at least have restored the whole In The Round... show? And I know it was a standard-def video, but surely with 2017-era technology, they could do a better transfer than the early-2000's DVD release of it.

Hope you all love single edits!

7. uncle

uncle Senior Member

Looking forward to the live cds although I do wish they included the whole show and not just the soundtrack to the video.

I also hope it is actually mixed for audio only release like the Women live track released as the Rocket B-side and not just a transfer of the surround sound of the video and dvd. I have had a rip in some form or other of this show since it first came out in 1988. First as an cassette ripped from the VHS and then reripped from the DVD when that came out. It has not left my media player (iPod, Zune, all my phones, etc) since.

beansandcornbrea and JeffMo like this.
  8. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

What's with the radio edits?
    I don't recall noticing anything different about the singles when they were played on the radio back then outside of the previously released remixes used for some of the videos, or am I wrong?

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I think the 'radio edit' and 'video edit' are the same

:wave:

10. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

There's almost nothing new on all of this. Between the 2006 Hysteria Deluxe Retro Active the In The Round In Your Face-Historia DVD and the Classic Albums DVD it's almost all already out there. The 3CD release for the audio of the InTheRound show will be enough. Although it's not even the full show. Really a big letdown. Coming from a huge fan I must say this is one major disappointment.

Clanceman, Davidmk5, readr and 2 others like this.
  11. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

I could be wrong, but "shouldn't" Fractured Love and Desert Song be on this? I recall those were Hysteria-era tracks. Seems like a missed opportunity.

12. DreamIsOver

There's a lot of stuff that should be on here that isn't

Davidmk5, Pouchkine and Rocketdog like this.
  13. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

They are actually pre-Hysteria tracks, but indeed they should. There's a lot of other songs - including tracks like "Tear It Down", "I Wanna Be Your Hero", "Ring Of Fire", "Ride Into The Sun", "She's Too Tough" and a few others that slip my mind right now - which kind of represent a lost album. It was the material the band was working on after Pyromania, but before what ended up being Hysteria, while they were waiting on Mutt Lange to become available. It would have actually been closer in style to Pyromania, but by the time Mutt finally came on board, the material was considered too dated, and it was thought it would be better to scrap it and work on something more "groundbreaking". Granted, most of these tracks ended up being B-sides, and some did later show up on Retroactive, and the last 2 disc "Special Edition" of Hysteria.

To me, though, having a bonus disc that framed these songs into that album that 'could have been' - much like the Cult did with the Peace album, which would eventually become something difffernt with Electric - would have been a much cooler and far greater selling point. I really have no use for the new CD versions they are offfering, nor the Super Deluxe set. I may, however buy the vinyl version, as expanded over two LPs, it's got to sound better than the very compressed onto a single LP original.

14. Use_Your_Koala

Use_Your_Koala Forum Resident

In the Round...as audio discs labeled as worthy bonus content? That's disappointing. And cynical if there's no remix of the show.
    I'm not confident regarding the remastering, that's a given.

Pouchkine likes this.
  15. DreamIsOver

I want to hear the Jim Steinman sessions, their 4 track demos, early versions of songs that ended up as b sides and album tracks down the road. According to the Animal Instincts book, when they recorded the b sides after the main album session they recorded a version of Fractured Love which has never seen the light of day.

16. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I think "Desert Song" is one of their best ever songs, and criminally underappreciated!

17. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

None (just using the usual positive thinking around here)

c-eling likes this.
  18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

19. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Radio edits are usually just shortened versions of the album versions, but in the case of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", I believe the "Radio Edit" they're going to be using for the 30th Anniversary Edition will be the same as the commercial 45 version, which is basically an edit of the video version. The 45 version starts with the "Love me like a bomb, bomb, bomb" intro heard on the video, except that it only lasts about 3-4 seconds and then goes right into the guitar. The album version of course begins with the "Step inside/Walk This Way/You and me babe/Hey, Hey!" intro followed by the guitar. Personally, I don't remember hearing either intro on the radio when the song was a hit; I'm pretty sure I always heard it begin with the guitar.

I know a shorter edit of "Hysteria" exists which was on a promo 45, so I assume that's the "Radio Edit" they'll be using as well. The commercial 45 used the album version and I think the video did as well.

I don't remember hearing any edits for "Love Bites" or "Armageddon It", and I think the singles for them used the album versions. I assume the edits also must have been on promo 45's.

I can't speak to the radio edit of "Women" - I never heard it on the radio and it was a low-charter, so that may be the reason why.

No radio edit for "Animal" on the 30th Anniversary Edition, and "Rocket" is labeled as "Lunar Mix", which was used on the commercial 45.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

Indeed, plus they mentioned recording a new version of "Switch 625" called "Swing 625" during those sessions.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  21. sandimascharvel

sandimascharvel Forum Resident

I've had that edit of "Women" for years on the promo CD. I don't think I ever listened to it. I despise edits lol. I got it strictly for the original "Tear It Down". Cool artwork and fold out poster too. I also like how it said "Only available on 7"" for TID.

Pouchkine likes this.
  22. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well since they (along with almost every track on Retroactive - including most of the previously released b-sides) received overdubs specifically for that album there is no opportunity missed, unless the opportunity missed was to rip apart (splitting all its songs between new expanded Hysteria and Adrenalize reissues) and then delete the Retroactive album, or to present those songs in raw Hysteria outtake state without their Retroactive era overdubs - which would in one case (can't remember which of the two songs) would need to be included as an instrumental because the lyrics for it weren't even written until the early 90s Retroactive album overdubbing sessions.

As for the tracklisting for the box I hope that the "Retroactive Version" notations on a couple of the Hysteria album b-sides is just a mistake. The proper single b-side versions need to be on here - as they were on the previous Hysteria 2CD Deluxe.

Rocketdog and Pouchkine like this.
  23. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Or perhaps that was the version overdubbed/completed for the Retroactive album - as Steve Clark is credited as playing on it on Retroactive. Either Fractured Love or Desert Song (can't remember which) lacked lyrics until lyrics were written in the early 90s when the songs were revived and overdubbed specifically for the Retroactive album.

Pouchkine likes this.
  24. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

What's missing from the live show?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. readr

readr Forum Resident

Yeah....bonus discs.....snooze. They didn't even try to dig into the vault....zero effort. No way would I buy the super deluxe box. Maybe I'll get the single disc......though, nothing really underwhelming about the original disc....it sounds fine. Remaster was too loud.

Davidmk5, Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.