Def Leppard - Will we ever see Deluxe Editions of On Through The Night & High 'N' Dry?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

You mean worldwide, re-release. It was officially released, just in small numbers, and in England alone. Regardless, yes, it's about time, and I also hope there is more to come.

Pouchkine and Deuce66 like this.
  2. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm glad they haven't forgotten their debut EP, and it does say that this kicks off a series of Def Leppard reissues, but I was talking more about CD Deluxe Editions. I was really hoping that On Through The Night (their debut album) would include that EP on a second disc, plus some material from First Strike (recorded during their debut album's sessions but not released until 1984).

Hopefully, this release confirms that the master tapes still exist for the Def Leppard EP.

3. blueslover99

blueslover99 Forum Resident

I'm a huge fan of the entire history of the band, and was thrilled to see Adrenalize put out as a deluxe edition. I expected Pyromania and Hysteria, but to do an expanded Adrenalize made me hope for the early albums as well. After a few years and the label dispute (as well as management change) kind of put the idea of further deluxe editions on permanent hold. I have given up waiting! I think the original EP is getting a re release because the band most likely owns the masters.

4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

First Strike is excellent. They almost sounded like a punk band on that album. Would be great to have an "official" release!

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I got so tired of waiting for the first two leppard albums rematered or in a deluxe remastered release I just went and got the Japan SHM CD master reissues.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Jimmy Agates and blueslover99 like this.
  6. Andrew Smith

I think there's more chance of that material appearing on a Deluxe Edition of On Through The Night (if/when it happens). I believe First Strike may be a bootleg. One person tells me it is a bootleg and another person tells me it isn't.

7. Andrew Smith

Were they remastered? I'm guessing there was no bonus material?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. Psychedelic Good Trip

No bonus material, to me they sound remastered not as flat as the original mercury label. Although some like the mercury original 80's cds better.
    Everyone has different ears.
    I like the Japan SHM CD reissues.

9. Chris Schoen

It's a boot as far as I know. They did not want this released, but someone put it out. It's a great, raw collection of songs, that needs an official release.

Pouchkine likes this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Def Leppard - First Strikes 1978-1979

1. [​IMG]
    2. [​IMG]

This cd is AWESOME!!

Pouchkine and Andrew Smith like this.
  11. Andrew Smith

Plenty of material there for a DE of On Through The Night. I dare say that a concert exists as well from the High n' Dry tour that could be used for a second disc of that album as well.

12. Psychedelic Good Trip

Big time.

13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I haven't seen any confirmation of the sources used but I agree hopefully that the masters are still in good enough shape to be used for this pressing.

14. Andrew Smith

Let's hope that the tapes have been backed up to high resolution digital for any future CD/download release.

Deuce66 likes this.
  15. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Which is why Slang also got the Deluxe Edition treatment, because the rights to the masters reverted back to the band. Unfortunately, unless they can ever come to terms with UME over the rights to their early albums, or those rights revert back to the band, we aren't likely going to see Deluxe Editions of the band's first two albums any time soon.

Pouchkine likes this.
  16. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

That is correct. The EP released back in '84 on Vinyl and Cassette as First Strike was an unauthorized release, that was pretty quickly pulled from shelves after it was discovered it was out there. Unlike your traditional bootleg, it looked legit, as it was put out by a small label, and got distributed to actual record stores in the US and UK.

Now this disc is practically a whole different animal. It has some of the same tracks, but also a lot of "recorded at radio station" material. There have been numerous albums like this flooding the market of many big name bands recently. One could see them more as "legitimate bootlegs", of a sort. Basically, all the recordings come from shows sourced at radio station recordings, or at shows that radio stations help promote or put on. As a part of doing that, the radio stations legally obtained the rights to be able to record and keep them for future use and rebroadcast. What happened recently, was that in the conglomerarcy and sales of many of these radio stations in the last few years, the music libraries of these stations recordings got sold as well. The companies who bought them have since been releasing them for sale. Unfortunately, the actual bands see no money from these releases, and also legally can't do anything about it, as the rights to them were given away when they performed the shows originally.

Pouchkine and Mark Wilson like this.
  17. They were on FIRE in this era! in my opinion

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the band actually purchased slang back from the label just so they could do a deluxe edition.

Pouchkine likes this.
  19. Hells yeah!

20. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

Just managed to grab a copy of this on EBay , thanks for sharing it!

21. Psychedelic Good Trip

:cheers::edthumbs:

Like totally worth it. Mastering is fine. Incredible early Leppards.

Pouchkine likes this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

This song rocks.

Pouchkine likes this.
  23. Chris Schoen

Wonder if the First Strike tracks on this cd sound better (maybe remastered,) than the vinyl? :shh:

24. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Apparently this is the 1st of several upcoming catalogue releases according UMC/Mercury - I guess they've made peace and now the vaults are about to be opened.

UMC/Mercury will release of "The Def Leppard EP" in conjunction with Record Store Day 2017. This release marks the start of a series of catalogue releases over the next few years for DEF LEPPARD.

April 22 will see DEF LEPPARD release their original first EP with replica art and picture cover. This is a 12-inch version of the EP playing at 45rpm — a one-off special for Record Store day and the first time it will be available in that format. The release is fully supported by the band.

Track listing is as follows:

01. Ride Into The Sun (2:57)
    02. Getcha Rocks Off (3:44)
    03. The Overture (7:56)

The EP was originally recorded in November 1978 at Fairview Studios in Hull and produced by the band. Released in January 1979 through the band's own Bludgeon Riffola label, this was the EP that launched one of the most successful and critically acclaimed rock bands of all time.

Said DEF LEPPARD singer Joe Elliott: "This is the EP that shone a light on this fledgling bunch of wannabes and set us on our way to international stardom (eventually...)! Recorded at Fairview Studios, just outside Hull in North Yorkshire, a studio we were extremely happy to frequent as it had been used on numerous occasions by the late great Mick Ronson. It took two days to record and cost £148.50 — money borrowed from my Dad (a feat financially and time wise we would never get close to achieving again, EVER!!!!)"

Read more at DEF LEPPARD's First EP To be Reissued With Replica Art And Picture Cover

jamesc and Pouchkine like this.
  25. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

There was another Lp that was issued,again as a Boot,Called "Warchild" as ...I saw this on You Tube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.