Def Leppard's "Bringing on the Heartbreak"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wmacky, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wmacky

Wmacky Forum Resident Thread Starter

The thing that gets me is the fact that they were around 16 years old when they crafted that song. That's Justin Beibers age! He should listen to it, then lay down a weep while cursing heaven. It's just unbelievable they did this when that that young. I have to put that in the music prodigy zone!

2. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

Best use of the phrase "I'm sorry, but it's true" I've heard :).

Yes. I'd put "Too Late For Love" right up there with it, but it's just a little too long.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I had a 12" Bringing on the Heartbreak vinyl single with both versions...sounded wonderful!

4. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Great band, great song. Saw them live in 2007 and they still had it.

5. davers

davers Forum Resident

These guys did come out of the gate smokin', especially on High N Dry. That was almost a perfect hard rock album, and I agree with the OP that this was a great power ballad.

6. "Pyromania" is the cut off period for me. After that I refuse to believe that that band still exists.

And really they don't!

7. Wmacky

I have that 2-fer. It's a must have for any fan!:thumbsup: The concert was a treat, and you get all those MGMM videos where they looked 15 years old.

8. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

:agree:

9. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Pyromania had some hints (Rock Of Ages) of where the band was headed, probably why I prefer High N Dry by a wide margin. After Pyromania they became a completely different band, not my cup of tea.

10. Wmacky

I feel High and Dry, is super classic. At the time, I really liked like Pyromania too, but perhaps not as much now. Hysteria is where I lose the faith. It immediately seemed wrong! Way over produced, and what was with that "Sugar" song? Did they forget their guy fans?

I wonder what their legacy would have been had they broke up after Pyromania? I bet they would have a few more fans here.

11. four sticks

I know it was a huge hit but, Pour Some Sugar On Me - the song, the video - (and I like some pop metal and think it gets unfairly slammed) this, to me, totally captures everything that was horrible about the genre.

12. Niklas

Niklas Forum Resident

Look, you're gonna laugh about this at first, but I truly believe if Def Leppard had quit when Steve Clark died, today they would have been held in very high regard, they would have been a legendary band like Zep. People would have looked at the first four albums, each one more successful than the other, four classic albums recorded over an eight year period. Did you know that there were no band that sold more albums in the US than Def Leppard during the '80's, only Michael Jackson and Springsteen sold more, that's how big they were. Kinda hard to grasp now.

Anyways, even though I don't think they are nowhere as good today as they were in the '80's I still think they made the right decision to carry on. What were they gonna do? Retire at the age of 29? Hysteria, the first album I bought myself as a teenager, still today remains my favourite album ever, even though I hardly listen to hard rock or metal today.

13. four sticks

No laughing here. To each his own. I think where your argument would take a serious down turn is were Def Leppard ground breaking? Have their albums stood the test of time?? My answers would be a big fat NO and a not really - although I listened to High N Dry recently for the first time in years and really enjoyed it cover to cover.
    I seriously doubt people are buying or revisting Def Leppard albums the way Led Zeppelin still moves units and gets regular rotation. Remember, Hootie and Creed were near the top sales wise in the 90's, I don't think anyone puts them in Led Zeppelin's league.

14. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

AC/DC had this dilemma when Bon Scott passed in 1980..only days later,they'd had Brian..same thing with any others..would you say the same thing would apply to them,too? Just think how many Lep fans would be heartbroken if they had called it quits,right then & there,Including me! No,I think it's great if not courageous they'd continued!

15. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

Um, where to begin. Oh, yeah. Bringing on the Heartbreak. Loved it the first time I heard it, still love it today. Those bringing up Switch 625 are right on. If I hear BOTH, oops that might be a little confusing. If I hear Heartbreak on the radio it always seems like something is missing now when it goes to someother song. Being a huge DL fan (over 70 cd's with no boots) I never understood the hatred for Hysteria (or Adrenalize of which the only fault I have with it is it is the same exact album as Hysteria). I just remember everyone loving Hysteria back in the day, two sold out shows in Minne, 10 million in sales. I just put the hatred down to success, they same reasons some people hate the Yankees, Lakers, Cowboys, the US. As far as the later albums go Slang was half a good album, Euphoria was great. Retro-active for a b-sides collection has some of my favorite DL songs. From the Inside and Ring of Fire (hell, Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire isn't even my favorite Ring of Fire song and I love Johnny Cash). X is the weak one, but I still like it better then Presence, Sgt Pepper (yes, I am ducking under my chair), Umma Gumma. As far as jumping the shark, I never cared for that phrase as Happy Days for me had it's Presence moment long before then. :D

16. Wmacky

Perhaps they didn't have the staying power of ACDC or Zep, but I will tell you this. I was a Senior in 1983, when Pyro came out, and there was a few months that year when Def Leppard was THE band. It crossed all groups and lines at school. Everyone loved them, and I mean everyone. A group of about 20 of us skipped the senior prom that year, and rather went to see DF that night. They came to town that night on the Pyromania tour, along with Krokus.

It sad to see how far they have fallen. I'm sure a lot of younger people would be surprized to hear how huge they were for a peroid of time.

17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

IMHO-by far their best album.......

18. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Mutt Lange really took Def Leppard's balls away, in my opinion.

With that said, "Me and My Wine" tops everything else on "High 'n' Dry".

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Is that the song that was added to the reissue? It didn't seem to fit the albums feel top me.

20. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

It was on the original CD issue. The reissue took it off.

21. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

it wasn't on the original vinyl though. Must've been a "CD bonus track" which they subsequently removed.

22. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

same here.

23. tojo1962

tojo1962 Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Pete Willis yet. His guitar (and song writing) are a huge part of the first two album's sound. He was booted from the band before Pyromania was finished but is on a lot of the song writing credits. Once the other original guitarist was gone (Steve Clark) that was the end of the prime Def Lep era. In my big fat opinion, anyway. Love High N Dry the best. More great riffs on that album than there would be for the rest of Def Leppard's career.

24. Wasatch

Wasatch Music Lover!

To me High 'N' Dry is the best album they ever did.

25. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

It was, along with a remix of "Me & My Wine".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.