Def Leppard's "HYSTERIA"-- Its Place In Rock Music History--Just Sayin'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

"Pour Some Sugar On Me" definitely influenced KISS to write "Read My Body" and Warrant to write "Cherry Pie." So yes, Hysteria has influenced KISS, a band I like.

Vincentz likes this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Agree and Hysteria is their third best album if you ask me.

1) H&D
    2) Pyromania
    3) Hysteria

3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I really don't think it did "Influence" other bands as a whole except maybe how could they make a record that would sell over 25 million copies.

Truth being, they couldn't.

I don't think any other band would of had the fortitude and determination that Leppard had at the time.

You have never heard of any other band that spent 5 years in the studio, doing what ever their producer asked of them to make a Masterpiece like "HYSTERIA".

This album is that..a Masterpiece that has stood the test of time for 30 years.

Amazing.

J_D__ and enro99 like this.
  4. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I really don't think it did "Influence" other bands as a whole except maybe how could they make a record that would sell over 25 million copies.

Truth being, they couldn't.

I don't think any other band would of had the fortitude and determination that Leppard had at the time.

You have never heard of any other band that spent 5 years in the studio, doing what ever their producer asked of them to make a Masterpiece like "HYSTERIA".

This album is that

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

6. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

Loved in then when it came out and still love it today. It's not metal and it's really not hair metal either. Just a great overall album that captured 1987 perfectly.

jc1303 and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  7. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

I like the Leps but Joe's idea of them being as important as The Who or Zep is a little delusional.

8. Xpression Carbon

Xpression Carbon Forum Resident

lol. That hits the nail on the head, right there.

9. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Same here. I can listen to both (especially High 'n' Dry) anytime but Hysteria...meh...way too pop. That trend started on Pyromania with Photograph but it wasn't too bad. By the time they got to Hysteria, I stopped buying their albums after that.

As for being an influence, I don't see it at all.

J_D__ and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  10. NBN420BlazeIt

NBN420BlazeIt Active Member

Def Leppard's earlier albums (On Through the Night, High n' Dry and Pyromania) were pretty influential on a lot of hard rock/heavy metal bands (and some alternative rock/metal bands as well) but I don't think Hysteria was as much. I mean, I love the album, but it's more pop rock than hard rock/heavy metal. It came out a little too late before the whole grunge explosion killed the pop metal bands to be a big influence on future rock bands

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

12. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

As far as influence, I can't imagine many rock bands of the time being able to, or even thinking, "Hey, we too should spend a couple years and $10 million dollars in the studio to get that sound!" :). Bon Jovi or Motley could have, but what they were doing was already working gangbusters.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  13. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Rick Allen actually didn't play on either album, the drums were all programmed (whether by him or all by Lange isn't known).

Purple and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

See, I'd put Pyromania on that list, not Hysteria.

15. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Yep, as discussed in the earlier 'Hysteria' thread.

Def Leppard - Hysteria (30th Anniversary Edition)
    Start reading from post 111 onwards

16. Psychedelic Good Trip

Agreed, Pyromania was a huge album first half 1980's and remainder of Big 80's.

17. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Pyromania is preferred by many rock fans sure. However it was less successful than Hysteria hence does not belong on the "definitive big selling 80s" albums list.

Hysteria was much more successful and Def Leppard themselves consider it their magnum opus; hence the big 30th Anniversary Box set for this album and not Pyromania back in 2012/2013.

Purple and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  18. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Rule #1 of music: Sales do not always equate to quality.

19. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

I'm also a hard rock/heavy metal guy, but I'm with Martin 100%. The first few Queen albums and Sweet's Desolation Boulevard smoke the hell out of Hysteria (mostly because those aren't pop-rock albums like this one). As someone that didn't grow up in that era, to me the first three albums hold up way better than Hysteria.

Because why party to a mediocre pop album that occasionally dabbles in rock, when one could party to a real rocking album?

20. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

In your opinion.

Hysteria is my favourite Def Leppard album, and that's comin' from a metal guy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Millions of people purchased Hysteria, and going by this huge box set Def Leppard themselves still consider it their prime album.

There will never be consensus of which is better, Pyromania or Hysteria. Some go for the former, some for the later; heck I suspect many fans love both equally.

P.S. Queen also changed their sound; Queen II is very different to A Kind of Magic.

21. dlb99

dlb99 Forum Resident

Sure. But you are not going to have many fans in this thread who will go along with Martin Popov and state that Hysteria is an outright bad album.

He thinks that, you may (or may not) think that also.

Many of the the rest of us love this album; hence why we are reading this thread to begin with.

22. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Dire Straits were just a polished (and sometimes boring) version of J J Cale for the masses. Still enjoyable though.

23. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

What do you think of this album then ?

[​IMG]

24. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident

Hysteria went 12X Platinum in the US and Diamond in Canada
    Pyromania went 10X Platinum in the US and 7X Platinum in Canada

I'd say both are enormous sellers and the band are really proud of both of them. Each have 7 songs on the big Rock Of Ages compilation and the band have always played a lot of Pyromania songs live. The Deluxe Edition of Pyromania is a constant seller and the live show gets great reviews.

Hysteria was more POP than Pyromania and the single Pour Some Sugar On Me made it sell a little more. Personally I love both equally. Lots of bands tried to copy them but none were capable.

25. Psychedelic Good Trip

Both albums huge sellers albeit the commercial hits helped sales numbers of both. There is a majority that truly loved all the tunes on each album not just the hits and there creativity. IMHO

Vincentz and Pouchkine like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.