Def Leppard's "HYSTERIA"-- Its Place In Rock Music History--Just Sayin'

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

2. Bruno Primas

Bruno Primas Forum Resident

Do I think it influenced any bands to copy it's style?

No.

Do I think it angered bands enough to start a movement against that type of music?

Not really.

Did a 17 year old sit around drinking Old Milwaukee and cranking "Hysteria" at a buddie's house with a bunch of friends having a great time?

Absolutely.

Good memories everytime I hear songs off this album.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Your honesty speaks volumes. Great honest comment! :righton:

4. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Au contraire, it is VERY hard to make such a link. Ace Frehley influenced a lot of young people in the 70s to start playing guitar - a lot of musicians have stated this. People liked KISS and wanted to be rock stars - a lot of musicians have stated this. KISS influenced grunge bands like Soundgarden - Members of Soundgarden have stated this. When have you ever heard ANY grunge musician state they were influenced by Hysteria? What grunge album sounds anything like Hysteria? What Grunge album uses similar production to Hysteria?

Hysteria is a great album with a lot of great tunes. But it wasn't influential on grunge.

5. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Spot on....and I'm internally grateful

6. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

(Was also meant for tkl7 )

I'm assuming you like different types of music, I know I do. Same should apply to grunge band members. It is not a reach to think that some grunge bands loved Morbid Angel (for example) or Def leppard but decided to make grunge music instead. So my opinion stands.

I have no proof that these people exist, you have no proof that they don't.

Grunge is a style that I hate so I haven't read or heard any interviews with them. But by reading all the metal mags/zines out there, I have read some death bands loving Diana Ross!! I read somewhere years ago, I think in Terrorizer mag, some death metal dude loving Madonna. So, anything is possible is my point. Their respective bands sounding anything like Hysteria or Like a virgin isn't the point, it would't be grunge if it did.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.