Define, "Angular Guitar."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stever, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stever

stever Senior Member Thread Starter

I've often seen this phrase used to describe a band and the sound the guitarist makes (or is it a technique?). What does it mean? What does it sound like?

2. art

art Senior Member

Think about the word in its context. It's a weak descriptive adjective with no real meaning. It's a horrible rock critic cliche whose user is too lazy to actually "write" what he means.

3. Jerquee

Jerquee Take this, brother, may it serve you well.

I always took this to mean the guitar part had a lot of syncopation and unexpected intervals.

4. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

So who qualifies: Robert Fripp? (I'm thinking of his solo on Bowie's "Fashion.")

5. protay5

protay5 Member

Though "syncopation and unexpected intervals" sounds right, I also sort of agree with art that it's become a meaningless term for lots of kinds of lines as long as they're not sweet & melodic or standard blues-rock.

Once I was in a band playing a song w/ a repeating guitar line, only the guitarist started a measure late, so the line didn't match anything the band was playing (It was my song & I suspect the guitarist of trying to sabatoge it). Afterwards I apologized to my friends in the audience for that song & they were nice & said it sounded "really angular."

Ross
    "They did all 16 dances" -- The B-52s

6. art

art Senior Member

It means that, maybe. If in context the writer is trying to explain a kind of purposeful graceless playing, then he should say so. I've seen that word in punk rock reviews too, either trying to explain a sound that's worthy or one that's not. Does it mean the guitar playing is harsh? Or sharp? Or purposely syncopated? It never makes sense and it's one of those vague words that is too commonly used, mostly in the fingers of beginning "critics." It's one that drives me crazy.

7. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I think it's perfectly descriptive if you understand angular to mean jagged, sharp, etc. Lots of players fit that description, including Fripp sometimes.

If the word is misused by critics, blame Becker and Fagen and that awful line about "angular banjos" in "Aja." :)

8. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

whatshisname from Gang of Four might qualify. Some say he defined that style. Or maybe I'm just confused, which is entirely probable.

9. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I always think of Richard Lloyd and the first Television LP.

Jason

10. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

hmm, that might be a good one. How about Franz Ferdinand? Doesn't the word "angular" get thrown a lot in their direction as well?

11. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

Yes, it's a bad description. I think the writer means that the rhythm guitarist is playing single lines instead of strumming the entire chord at once

12. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

Gibson Flying V? :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

13. portisphish

portisphish Forum Resident

I take it to mean non-flowing. The notes take sharp angles rather than flowing in one direction.

14. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Gang of Four is the first thing I think of. :agree:

15. bw

bw Forum Resident

Gang of Four and Wire come to mind.

16. oldcuster

oldcuster Senior Member

Non-flowing is a good way to say it. The guitar notes/chords are played like quirky "jabs".

17. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

First think to come to my mind is Robert Quine's guitar on the Richard Hell & the Voidoids albums.

18. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

Beat me to it. Many of the solos on that one very much define 'angular' for me, .. Torn Curtain, for one, though I can't remember if the solo I'm hearing in my head right now is the first or the second one (one's Tom, the other's Richard, or the other way round).

19. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

Think Arctic Monkeys (topical one) or ex-Blur guitart Graham Coxon.

JJ

20. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I always think of the wonderful Wilko Johnson, original guitarist with Dr. Feelgood, whenever the term "angular guitar" is used.

21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Bloc Party and the Futureheads are contemporary examples of the style. I agree with whoever said that the style features unexpected intervals.

See also Math Rock

22. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I immediately thought of the guitar solo in Police "Driven to Tears"

23. JJ75

JJ75 Forum Resident

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ha, Ha, I knew I shouldn't have posted from my pocket pc, bl**dy autocomplete!!
    No offense to Mr Coxon.

Have I invented a new genre of show off (but not quite as good as he thinks he is) guitarist? or could it be a sexist word for a female guitar player!

Maybe this will be the next new "cool" description for those music journalist types to use in their write-ups!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.