Definitive albums for early Jazz artists (pre-1950s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Outside-Looking In, Sep 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident Thread Starter

As someone who's slowly getting into Jazz and starting to explore much of its catalogue, I was wondering which album would be the best one to get into for each of the top artists from the earlier years, before the advent of albums (such as Sidney Bechet, Jelly Roll Morton, Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, etc.)

I'm talking studio albums - not live - and also not various artists compilations. I'm also not talking about the later Jazz artists who came about after the album became popular and recorded specifically for albums (such as Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc.), as they seem to be very easy to figure out which to get.

Other than that, feel free to post what you consider to be the definitive album for these early Jazz stars - the ones you'd recommend the most to listen to. For enthusiastic Jazz novices like myself (at the time of writing of course), such help would be much appreciated!

2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Can I recommend something? Post a list of specific artists you want, and we can chime in with the definitive disc/discs/box set. Your net is too wide.

And, you are asking for a favorite album by artists recording before the advent of albums. That means you are essentially looking for compilations. Correct? Not easily done with one disc.

Like this:

Jelly Roll Morton: The JSP box set, mastered by John RT Davies
    Louis Armstrong "Hot Fives and Sevens" JSP box
    Django Reinhart: First JSP box

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Duke Ellington Okeh collection
    Sidney Bechet Jazz Tribune
    The Bix Beiderbecke Story Volumes 1&2
    Billie Holiday Brunswick sides
    Lionel Hampton Jazz Tribune
    Count Basie The Complete Decca Recordings

4. Jerry

For Billie Holiday, I (again) strongly recommend the six HEP releases (under Teddy Wilson) mastered by John RT Davies.

speedracer likes this.
  5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Charlie Parker Savoy and Dial master takes

6. Outside-Looking In

Outside-Looking In Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well the artists I listed as examples can be seen as such - the ones that come off the top of my head.... And I was also thinking that this thread could also serve as a place for other jazz novices to ask for any particular early artist and be given an recommendation to start with. And yes, artists who recorded before the advent of albums. So compilations yeah.

All of these posted I'll definitely check out. Looking very good so far, very helpful!

7. Jerry

8. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Clarence Williams (on Frog)
    Senegalese Stomp
    QRS Recordings 1 and 2
    Shake Em Up (Vocalion, Brunswick, Victor, Paramount, and Grey Gull)
    Thriller Blues
    Gimme Blues, Clarence Williams' Washboard Bands

9. Andreas

Andreas Senior Member

Jeff Kent and PonceDeLeroy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.