Definitive Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlulu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Not a huge fan of the CBS. The best I've heard this album sound (even better than the 35DP 2 track CD) is the original UK vinyl with matrix A1/B3 (according to the popsike archives there is a UK test pressing with A1/B1 would love to hear that! :eek: )

2. stem

stem Forum Resident

I see there is a "Nimbus" version currently bid up to £400 on Ebay ! Surely it can't be that good ??

3. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's very very good but not that good. Until the new issue from a (high res digital transfer of the master) it was the only way of getting a dead quiet pressing. Of course it's completely analogue. Nimbus prices have got ridiculous on ebay and there are better sounding versions of most but not this one. It's got to be the best version of WYWH. BTW it didn't come with the black outer shrinkwrap but should have the postcard.

The seller is wrong in claiming it's unplayed !!! It will likely reach £600.

4. stem

stem Forum Resident

Thanks. Interesting.
    I guess I am just curious as I have a UK A-1 B-5 which sounds stunning. It's hard to imagine it being bettered ! I have also heard the recent reissue and I must say that gets a very close second.
    Let's sit back and watch the bidding !

5. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Out of interest. How do people here rate the Australian pressing? I know we lost out on the postcard and the inner sleeve became a gatefold but how do you people rate the sound?

6. kippenhok

kippenhok Forum Resident

Same question for the New Zealand pressing.

7. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I have
    half speed
    U.S
    German
    Of the 3 I like the German the best but the HS is the quietest.
    I Needs more coffee to break em out and post there info.
    rough night.

echauhan likes this.
  8. Tony L

Tony L Forum Resident

I've got the Nimbus Supercut and it really is superb. I'm not implying it's worth the cash they change hands for these days (I paid £10 IIRC!), but it really does sound good, as do all of that range I've heard. Super-quiet surface and very clean, clear and dynamic, I'd say very similar to a UK original, but a better pressing.

9. Lord_Gastwick

Lord_Gastwick Forum Resident

The 2011 vinyl reissue is very good. It's a great way of picking up a well-packaged, flat and silent copy quite cheaply.

aravel and Stone Turntable like this.
  10. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

Agreed it's an excellent pressing. However I do not have an original UK pressing to compare it to.

A_L

11. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

I have a NZ pressing in my NZ FIrst XI Box set. I am currently playing the LP so I do not have matrix numbers at the moment. Side A is very bass heavy and a bit muddy. Side B is well balanced with crisp highs and good bass. The pressings in this box set vary from excellent to dog *****. Animals being the worst.

A_L

12. jim mallett

jim mallett Active Member

i have a us copy, with the original blue shrink wrap still intact (but opened on the side, of course) i just bought this last month at a local record store…sounds fantastic

13. iainoco

iainoco Forum Resident

Just pick up a really quiet UK 2nd Pressing (A6/B14 still from 1975, only lacks the black shrinkwrap of the first pressings) and it's hard to imagine how this can sound much better. Stunning sounding record :righton:

14. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

but, finding "a really quiet pressing" is the hardest thing in the world.;)

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The only realy quiet pressings are the new issue which I think is pretty good in spite of the digital remastering or the Nimbus Supercut which is great sounding. You can possibly add the half speed mastered but I haven't heard one. Never found a realy clean original UK or even later pressing. Some of the later UK pressings do have the black shrink btw.

16. neonbible

neonbible Forum Resident

Hi guys,

I bought WYWH cheap from the market a few years back and have only just got round to getting a turntable. I'm not at home at the moment so can't play it yet but wondering how good my pressing is likely to be?

Its a EMI Harvest UK pressing, A-6 B-14.

17. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

My copy defines the sound for me. If I had a different copy, the other copy would.

18. BongRattlingBass

BongRattlingBass Forum Resident

I have a A6/B14 and a UK A1/B3. The first pressing is slightly better. On the first press, Rick Wright's keyboards are less veiled and has an astonishing presence which is why the album is so magical.

michanes likes this.
  19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i decided this album is not good on vinyl for me...
    this is what ive had...
    US 1st press
    UK quad 1st press (cost me 150$)
    US quad
    UK 1st or 2nd press (dont remember)

each one i felt i loved and after 1 year or two grew tired of..

i just gave up on a vinyl version of this album.... i have the sacd and i am totally happy..havnt looked back.

aravel likes this.
  20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Welcome To The Machine... my friend...

The Devil is in the Digital Details...

I've the SACD too, and a few others on Cd, plus 4-5 Lp versions.

The SACD will do for digital, but I love this on vinyl; the was this crazy diamond was/is meant to be heard....

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

My favorite is also the SQ Quad US pressing. Beats even a good UK pressing!

22. wayved

wayved Guest

i know this is irrelavent, but I remember when I was a kid in 8th grade i had no money for records. There was this kid who said he would hook me up with a copy of Wish You Were Here by the Floyd. (this was the early 90s alright?) how the conversation started I will never recall...I paid him like 5 bucks for him to tape it for me cos I had just heard Dark Side and the Wall and it blew me away. At the record store, Wish You Were Here it was 11 bucks on cassette. Thats like 6 months of milk money! forget that! I already spent all my summer mowing lawn money on the complete led eppelin and moody blues discography.
    He said--Man im sorry its too warped....I cant tape it. I thought he was duping me. I even supplied the tape!
    I was like: I will make that **** work! Bring that record to school! and he did.
    that record was warped beyond recognition.
    If I could ever formally say I was sorry to that guy (i probably did) for being a complete ass.
    To this day I have not listened to Wish You Were Here in its entirety and enjoyed it. I shall remedy that.

Cody B, Leonthepro and Tensilversaxes like this.
  23. Teddy Novaks

Teddy Novaks Forum Resident

I have ten copies - early UK, US, Quad, Coloured, Philippines, Sony Mastersound ( don't think thats the same as the Nimbus??) plus some in box sets - the 2011 remaster is, IMO, the best sounding.

aravel and Wes_in_va like this.
  24. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

I like my Half Speed Master very much, it's the good version and not the one that we are told to avoid.

I wouldn't mind an original UK pressing but I guess I'll paying through the nose for a near mint one?

25. Teddy Novaks

Teddy Novaks Forum Resident

Anything up to £400 for a good one. NM maybe someway north of that...