Definitive Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlulu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. YouKnowEyeKnow

YouKnowEyeKnow Forum Resident

Have a US promo that sounds pretty darn good, but obviously there are better to be had.

2. Can anyone comment on the Columbia Canada Half-Speed Master LP?

Side 1: machine stamped HAL 33453-2H (crossed-out) APH (c) - 5000 - A and DM (etched)
    Side 2: machine stamped HAL 333453-2G (crossed-out) APH (c) - 5000 - B and DM (etched)

DM etched in any Canadian LP from the mid 1970s to the mid 1980s indicates that the LP was manufactured @ CBS Records Canada vinyl pressing plant in Don Mills, Ontario.

I have a chance to buy a VG++ copy, but will pass if the LP has the same mastering error as the first Columbia U.S. Half-Speed Master LP.

3. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

UK vinyl never really recovered, you can still get some decent pressings after 1974 but the surface noise on UK vinyl could be a real problem after this date and the Floyd suffered as much as anybody...

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have a Dutch pressing (made in Holland) original that to my ears sounds like a "Hot Stamper", do a seach I have listed the matrix numbers on here. I had 2 copies of the CBS half-masters, sold 1 kept the first issue. They do not compare to my Dutch pressing, too dry and thin sounding. The Dutch pressing has what I call "tube magic" happening in the grooves, beautiful tone and plenty of "air" around instruments>

sean

sean

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Found one of these today, it's a stunning sounding if slightly crackly sounding pressing.

Cassius likes this.
  6. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Just found an A4/B10 uk press with HTM in the deadwax ... NM cover without shrink and without postcard..Sounds great, very very little surface noise only audible in the beginning of the quiet part on side one before the drums comes in...perfect side 2 except some ticks in the acoustic intro for WYWH ...I am perfectly happy as I only paid 5 euros (!!!) for it in a HIFI store that had some old demonstration lp to sell ...I am impressed by the majestic presence of the keyboards and the beautiful slightly distorded tone of the guitar and the way all this record sound detailed AND warm... Welcome to the machine is amazing...pure analogue heaven on my budget seventies hi-fi system...

7. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Found a 'Barry' one last winter at a thrift Shawn, Agree :cheers:

8. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I never cared much for this album until I heard a US HTM pressing, then it all made sense!

0476pearljam likes this.
  9. Reloadz

Reloadz New Member

Anyone tried the german first pressing? 1c062..

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I was wondering about that German one 1 C 062-96 918 underneath 1C 244-96918

11. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I used to have that first 1C 062 issue but sold it. I didn't find it as engaging as the excellent 1C 064 pressing (A3/A3) that followed. It was many years ago so I don't have a specific critical analysis but I just remember it being rather lackluster and not particularly dynamic. It's not that it was bad, it just wasn't particularly good.

steveharris likes this.
  12. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

What I always find confusing is having sleeves from one country with pressings from another.
    I have a german sleeve with that 1 C 062-96 918 number,1C 244-96918 underneath.
    The inner sleeves says printed in Germany, however the record inside is a dutch pressing and it has the 5c prefix.
    It sounds wonderful so I am quite happy with that one.
    I do however also have a normal columbia Canadian pressing which I slightly prefer to my surprise.

13. As of a few days ago I have access to purchasing a minty EM Holland 1977 pressing of Wish You Were Here. It's one of the 2 black vinyl pressings from Holland in 1977. EMI Holland also released a blue vinyl version in 1977, with a couple of different pressings.

The LP labels have the white, not yellow dots on them.

[​IMG]

Here it the matrix number information.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

• Matrix / Runout (Side A, Handwritten): 5C062 - 96918-A//26101-4-Y
      • Matrix / Runout (Side B, Handwritten): 5C062 - 96918-B//HL26102-8-Y6-Y
      • Matrix / Runout (Side B, Stamped): VR 20543-IB-L

Was wondering if it the LP is worth buying? For reference, in my music collection I already own:

1. a mint original CBS Japan LP purchased new in 1975
    2. a mint EMI U.K. first LP pressing (A-1 / B-3)
    3. the 2011 EMI U.K. vinyl reissue
    4. the SACD
    5. the cardboard sleeve wrapped in black plastic EMI Euro remaster CD from the year 2000

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I bought a near mint promo that was given to a rep who in turn sold it to me. It came with a piece of the original black wrapping, postcard, and DJ strip... it sounds incredible.... US columbia. I also have a 1st UK, an early CBS half speed, and several reissues. Honestly, there is no such thing as a bad pressing of this classic.

15. btlsooner

btlsooner Well-Known Member

I have many copies of this album. My best sounding is a very early US Columbia pressing. Matrix number is P AL 33453-4L on side one, BL 33453-1A on side two. It beats my UK A-1, B-3 pressing. Granted, my US pressing is more quiet, I just think it is overall more powerful sounding. Both sound great but if you are looking around, I don't think it's worth it to try and find a solid UK Copy. Find a US Columbia in good shape with not a lot of scratches and you are set.

I just ordered a UK copy of the BG reissue. I am anxious to see how it stacks up.

16. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I have a first US pressing right now that I found at a local shop and it looks absolutely NM, but is one noisy bugger. I've given it a cleaning, despite it's condition, but only minimal improvement. Most of the record plays, or in fact all of it does sound good. There's just a few stretches of crackly, static like popping. I really love the sound of the US pressing. (I vastly prefer it to even the hi-res recent BD release)and want to pursue another like pressing. Do many of you who own 1st US pressings experience much noise? Or do I just have a crapper? I've been considering the second release of the CBS half speed release as well. Will most likely get both anyway, but am very curious about anything anyone could add, thanks.

17. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Lots of early US pressings are going to have noise, but with perseverance you can find one that is tolerable. Yep, that 2nd CBS Mastersound is really great and worthwhile too! Oh, and don't sleep if you come across a clean "Barry" pressing as mentioned upthread. That one is an early 80s remastering at Columbia's Carrollton, GA facility but really sounds fantastic.

Brian9229 likes this.
  18. dkswaff

dkswaff Forum Resident

For what it's worth this is the info from the Pink Floyd archive detailing the CBS Mastersound 1st pressing EQ issue. I am still looking for the 2nd press (or 1st press for that matter) so I can't speak with any intelligence as to what either sounds like.

Pink Floyd Archives-U.S. LP Discography

Brian9229 likes this.
  19. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

The first CBS Mastersound is horrible. I lived with a copy for quite a while. Detailed as hell but no bottom end or even lower midrange to be found. Very unsatisfying.

Brian9229 likes this.
  20. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Thanks for the great advice!:righton: Oh, a quick side note, I have a def Leppard album(pyromania)with Barry 'Gill' or 'Giff' on one side of the dead wax, can't quite make out last name, but is it the same guy by chance? The album(Pyromania) sounds truly fantastic.

21. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Hmmm, hadn't heard of that. I think Pyromania masterings were done at Masterdisk and had something about "Grizzly" in the deadwax? You may want to check Discogs for a copy that matches yours. But "Barry" (along with "Chet" and "Anna") remains an enigma. No one really seems to know who they are aside from their inscriptions in Carrollton, GA Columbia pressings, and their good mastering work.

22. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

One side of my Pyromania has Chet. The other is Barry G. Weird indeed.[​IMG] I've heard of the 'Grizzly' versions.[​IMG]

23. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Very interesting. That Pyromania looks to be a cousin of this one --> Def Leppard - Pyromania and looks to be a Columbia-pressed club version. There's probably a CRC somewhere on the cover?

Anyway, this led me to the revelation that the Columbia "Chet" is Chet Bennett, who actually got his start as a writer and engineer at Mussel Shoals but ended up at Columbia in the early 80s.

Chet Bennett

I still can't find any info on Barry or Anna, though. Barry, of course being featured in the deadwax of a very nice early 80s WYWH (just to tie back in to the original thread topic).

Brian9229 and c-eling like this.
  24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have a Canadian pressing which sounds superb. Even the cover sleeve has a slightly different picture of the two businessmen.
    Also the Bernie Grundman remaster (2016) is a great one.

25. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Yes there is! In bold letters, CRC. Astonishing really lol. Record club pressings tend to vary in sound, in my experience. Usually from bad to worse, but this one truly sounds amazing. I would be interested in finding a 'barry' WYWH actually. Thanks for the research:righton:

c-eling likes this.