Definitive Poll: Black Sabbath - Heavy Metal or Not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik Tracy, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Frankly, the splitting of hairs between hard rock and heavy metal is meaningless. The division that made more sense to me was European vs American.

zen and GodShifter like this.
  2. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Without Sabbath (and their brethren) paving the way those others would would not exist.

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

There are a bunch of Black Sabbath songs that are very close to Blues Rock as well

BunnyBoy and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This is where I count the difference - I don't think that Sabbath are "blues rock" at all. Zeppelin, Cream, Purple, Uriah Heep, Humble Pie and so many others did "blues rock", but Sabbath's songs never really are in blues style. They are of the blues, but they never played blues.

wavethatflag, GodShifter and Purple like this.
  5. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

It may not be Albert King, but it's some form of Blues, alright (now! Won't you listen? :D).

In addition to Wicked World, I'll also point out:

The Wizard
    Evil Woman
    The Warning
    Heart Like a Wheel
    Sick and Tired

There's also Rat Salad, but that's maybe more of a jazzy number.

To be specific, I don't think that Sabbath really qualify (overall) as 'Blues Rock', but I do think that they did do several songs that could certainly qualify as Blues (much like Deep Purple).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  6. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

This is exactly what I mean and your list of examples are prime examples of the "Blues Rock" side of Black Sabbath although they aren't primarily blues rock.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  7. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Did Samuel Colt make six-guns? Poll to follow...

8. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I knew what my answer was before I even finished reading the thread title. The first three are pure metal, and Sabotage is even better, being much more of a "progressive metal" album.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes of course...I can still remember the first time I heard BS back when they hit first the scene... they blew me away heavy duty!

Dave and Sathington Willoughby like this.
  10. dkmonroe

"Wicked World" is jazz-inflluenced, not blues. It's the jazziest number in their catalog.

"The Wizard": Just because there's a harmonica doesn't make it blues.

"Evil Woman" and "The Warning" are R&B.

I've never heard "Heart Like A Wheel" or "Sick And Tired." I'm not really all that interested with the albums that only have one or two original members.

11. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I thought Heart Like A Wheel was Linda Ronstadt. What's she doing in Black Sabbath?

dkmonroe likes this.
  12. dkmonroe

Iommi teamed up with Vince Gill and did an album called, Devils' Country! (just kidding, don't go Googling it!) :laugh:

jon9091 likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That or "Behind the Wall of Sleep". I suppose it could loosely be said that something like "Electric Funeral" is a blues song, but it'd be stretching it.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yeah, it's not blues. Geezer Butler was playing around with tri-tones he heard on Holst, The Planets, and that's part of what inspired Iommi to come up with his chord or note progressions or whatever. It's not blues-based, or at least not all blues-based--it's from classical music."Black Sabbath" is a good example of it--dum-DUM-dum. Can you tell I'm not a musician? I read this stuff in a book about heavy metal.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Here is an example of the blues...though they put their own stamp on it. Earth/Sabbath also did sons like Early One Morning, Let Me Love You Baby, Blue Blooded Man. Of course, they made them rockin, but still blues...Earth/Sabbath did tons of blues cover circa 68-69. I will say the first album was more rooted in blues, even jazz. But the combination of these genres gave birth to metal.

16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Damaged Soul is the bluesiest song they have. I really don't hear it elsewhere.

dkmonroe likes this.
  17. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Honestly...how idiotic. It isn't a question. When everyone points to a band and says "heavy metal started here" why question it?

Sathington Willoughby and Purple like this.
  18. dkmonroe

Blue Suede Shoes is a rock'n'roll song. And it's a straight-up cover and never appeared on an album. My "never" applies to recorded output, not a cover played here and there.

Of course Earth played blues, they were a blues band. To me, that makes their transformation into Black Sabbath all the more remarkable - a band that played straight blues changed into a very different approach with the same members almost overnight. And in an era where it was practically expected that you should throw in an amped-up shredding version of "You Shook Me" if you were a heavy rock band. They pretty much totally ditched the style and form of blues even though that was their background. To me, that's pretty impressive.

Purple likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

I agree, that's the closest Sabbath has come to a straight blues song. Cream coulda done that one.

jon9091 likes this.
  20. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

I do agree with you. But BSS was released about 10 years ago, but it might be a grey market release. I wish the 69 Dumfries tape gets out their so we all can hear the evilution of blues to metal.

21. dkmonroe

It's on the DVD that's included in the Black Box set. But again, it's a cover from a TV performance, not an album track. And they must have dropped it from the set pretty quick because I've heard many live recordings from 1970 and I can't think of one that has it.

22. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Listen to the verses in WW. That is blues influenced big time. The jazzy intro is just a small part of the song. The interlude is blues based also.

Lots of blues touches in The Wizard as well.

Agent of Fortune likes this.
  23. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

This is like arguing if pizza is food or not. But saying metal as genre isn't diverse means you haven't listened to enough metal.

24. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Definitely. They defined the genre.

25. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

You forgot the Slide Guitar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.