Definitive Poll: Black Sabbath - Heavy Metal or Not?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik Tracy, Jun 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

There is definitely blues influence in Black Sabbath, it's just that their particular combination of musical influence and innovation quickly went so thoroughly in its own direction that it doesn't fit into the British blues rock "boom" of the late 60's.

One thing which I feel is important to understand about Sabbath is that they don't really reveal a whole lot about their compositional "tricks" and concepts. They let the music speak for itself and downplay things. That's the school they are from. A lot of humility. We know that Butler dug Frank Zappa and Art (pre-Spooky Tooth), Ozzy dug The Beatles, Iommi dug Bluesbreakers but then went nuts for Joe Pass, Django Rheinhardt, Wes Montgomery and so forth. Ward was listening to Gene Krupa and jazz drummers. They all were impressed by the first Led Zeppelin album because that gave them added confidence that their idea of doing heavy, powerful music could have some appeal.

One thing which Iommi has revealed in some recent interviews is how much Classical music influenced their approach to dynamics. And I found the inner lyrics sleeve on 13 to be fascinating, because they revealed a bit about their unique approach to composition. The whole "Verse 1, Chorus 1, Verse 2, Bridge A, Bridge B, Chorus 2, Swing Riff, etc." thing was a real insight into how they construct music.

Sabbath is really an amalgamation of many diverse musical influences but most importantly, their sound was quickly driven by a desire to be totally original. One thing I find interesting is how quickly they felt no need to really tie themselves to any particular musical tradition. They had the confidence to build this specific brand of music and then say; "this is who we are." As dkmonroe points out, they don't throw in the requisite "You Shook Me." And, live, they would pretty much pummel you with non-stop original material. No out and out "crowd pleasers." No boogie woogie, no rock and roll covers, no Beatles covers... nope. Nothing but epics.

GodShifter and ifihadafish like this.
  2. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

FTR, there is no slide guitar on "The Wizard."

GodShifter likes this.
  3. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

I'm pretty sure there is. It's not as elaborate as anything Duane Allman did, but it's there (in the right channel).

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No slide.

He slides around the neck on those bar chords with precision and control which might lead some to think you'd a slide for that, but there isn't one. And if you mean the little lead bits he is throwing in, that is ridiculous vibrato technique, not slide work.

5. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Heavy metal is a subgenre, so yes, bands like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath are heavy metal.

6. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

A demonstration of his mastery. I stand corrected. :cheers:

And I wasn't referring to the vibrato, FWIW. How on earth would you do that with a slide guitar?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  7. Sums it up perfectly. WTF does "heavy metal" mean anyway? A very broad category.

8. OK, you got me there. I guess metal broadly defined does have some signature aspects of musical and lyrical content.

wavethatflag likes this.
  9. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

No. I'm not into heavy metal but I'm into Black Sabbath.

10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Isn't it more the birth of stoner rock (which isn't strictly heavy metal is it)?

11. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Black Sabbath in the early days were heavy/hard rock but progressed into metal over the years/decades to follow. They still retained their blues influence on the early albums which is not pure heavy metal IMO. I would call it stoner/doom in the early years. But their influence and being the kings of the metal genre cannot be underestimated.

Zeki likes this.
  12. Fearless Freep

Fearless Freep Well-Known Member

Most certainly. The first and the best.

Sathington Willoughby likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Blues influences, blues touches. Here's some of their contemporaries:

14. dkmonroe

15. dkmonroe

16. dkmonroe

Now listen to "Wicked World" again. See the diff?

17. Yes.
    Black Sabbath (and Led Zeppelin) are Heavy Metal.
    They are indisputably the blueprint of Heavy Metal, and are considered "first-wave" British Heavy Metal acts.
    The use of power chords and the Satanic lyrics are just 2 of the key factors of the genre.

18. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

Well, not in my opinion.

19. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

If Black Sabbath isn't heavy metal then WHO IN THE HELL IS?!??!?!?

20. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

Trying to retrofit contemporary categories doesn't work. Stoner and doom are the natural evolution of the original, but there are other children as well.

21. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Yes. One reason I am not much of a fan of theirs.

22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

What do I know.. I'm no expert but I put on Black Sabbath, lower the needle into the first groove and out comes Black Sabbath and my brain tells me, via my ears, that I'm listening to stoner rock.

23. Brudy

Brudy Senior Member

I can hear why you'd say that. But my problem with that is that too often the stoner bands of the last 20 years emphasize one aspect of Sabbath and make microvariations on a theme. None of them cover the same wide ground as Sabbath did.

24. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

Undoubtedly Sabbath is considered heavy metal, so I had to vote yes.

But to some of us old gits the term 'heavy metal' is a late-70s term synonymous really with the NWOBHM. At the time, by which I mean 1970 or thereabouts, Purple, Sabbath, Zeppelin and so forth were termed 'heavy rock' or sometimes 'underground'.

To this day I wouldn't call Purple or Zeppelin 'metal'. Sabbath? Much closer........

GodShifter and Kelan Wood like this.
  25. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

That, my friend, we can agree upon.

Brudy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.