Definitive Vinyl Version of Close to the Edge?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Raylinds, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I had been a huge Yes fan in the seventies, but I have not been listening to them much over the past 10-15 years. Part of that may be that I was never pleased with their sound on the CDs I had.

Now I'm back into vinyl with a nice tt and tube rig, and am really getting back into them. I just listened to the Hoffman/Gray Fragile last night and loved it. I did a search on this sight to try to find the definitive binyl version of CttE, but didn't fiind anything. I don't believe that Steve ever did a version, did he?

Thanks for any insight.

Cheers,
    Ray

2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I like the MFSL version cut by Stan Ricker. Those pressings are quite expensive these days.

LeeS likes this.
  3. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Many people on here like the first George Piros version from the 70's. My understanding is he did 2 or possibly three versions and the second one is excessively bright, but the first is exceptional. I also like the FridayMusic reissue from last year. It's clean, with good separation of instruments, and a balanced frequency response. I have also owned Canadian reissues (KSD-19133) that were not bad at all.

The only one that really disappointed me was a Japanese release that seemed to be all midrange, with phase reversed guitar at the beginning of And You And I (which from what I've read on here is the case for all non-MFSL Japanese pressings).

4. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

How can you tell them?

LitHum05 likes this.
  5. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Sorry I'm going to have to let the experts chime in on this one as I'm not sure. I just recall reading about it on here. I have a GP cutting of CTTE. It's not the very first from what someone on here told me, but it's apparently not the worst either. It got a bit better once I gave it a good cleaning but it's quite bright. Not "2009 bright" but certainly much more so than Steve and Kevin's Fragile, which I find to be one of the nicest renderings of Yes music I've ever heard.

6. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

It's the first one that was bright...but it is quite stunning for some reason!

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Atlantic SD 7244 with

ST-A722619A (s1)
    ST-A-722620A (s2)

cut by George Piros, pressed at Presswell.

It's kind of bright.

8. Raylinds

I took a chance and picked up a copy of CttE for $5 and listened to it last night. It's the same pressing you have. I thought it sounded really nice, maybe a tad bright but not overly so- at least on my system (a 300B SET amp).

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  9. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I prefer the MFSL.

DWisker likes this.
  11. Raylinds

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yeah, you 're right it is not annoyingly bright. I listened to it just before this post of mine and I agree that it sounds nice.

Dr. Funk likes this.
  13. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

The MFSL sound's good to these ear's and they didnt even try to mask the tape hiss!

DWisker likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Forum Resident

For me: MFSL > early GP version > Friday Music.

Unfortunately, none are as good as I wish they would be, but sometimes it's best to let something be what it is and appreciate it. :)

I won't be buying anymore versions of CTTE (unless Steve gives it a shot). :agree:

Dertriumphdestodes and DWisker like this.
  15. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

This is one where you will find great divide amongst well versed listeners. I consider the original (and overly bright) Piros to be head and shoulders above the rest but only when the brightness is tamed. I do this by loading down my cartridge. My preamp allows for this. Most don't. If we are talking about unaltered versions I like one of the later U.K. pressing best overall(sorry I don't have the matrix info handy). Not the original U.K. The original U.K. is often touted as sonically superior. I find it to be way too soft and muddy. I'm gonna have to give the Friday music cut another listen when I can get around to it. When I first auditioned it I thought it was pretty bad. The MoFi is good but it is easy to hear what is missing when compared to the Piros first cut or even the later U.K. pressing. But as a stand alone record I can see how people like it.

16. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

I did a study on the pressings of Close to the Edge last year.* Here's my preferences:

1) Atlantic K50012 UK A1 B1 true first press (very rare) on substantially heavier vinyl. It has more clarity and punch than I ever expected.

2) MFSL mastered by Stan Ricker--Awesome black backgrounds and clean audio.

3) Early US pressings mastered by George Piros--I have several. All of them are nice. I feel they sound a bit thin, and there's something in the upper midrange that doesn't appeal to me. Certainly the least expensive way to go...

4) Any of the later UK K50012 Pressings. They have combinations of matrices higher than A1 B1 going up to A3 B3 or so.

*meaning I bought a bunch of copies on eBay from England and the US, then did comparisons.

LeeS likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry Forum Resident

Okay, maybe I'll buy just ONE more copy... :evil:

Just when you think you're through someone makes you want more. :)

18. saundr00

saundr00 Bobby

19. Henry

Henry Forum Resident

20. wrat

wrat Forum Resident

One of the few that I have 2 copies of an original us release and the mfsl, I prefer the mfsl

21. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

UK Plum is the way to go for this one.

22. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

No such record exists.

23. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

That's what I thought, maybe vinyldreams was thinking of the Plum "Fragile" which sounds great BTW.

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

You're right, I was thinking of Fragile.

25. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I found the best sound spread over two records. Side 1 appears to be pressed by Columbia and ends 1A, Side 2 on the second record has the SRC logo and ends GZOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.