CSNY Deja Vu @ 24/192!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HDListener, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDListener

HDListener Forum Resident Thread Starter

Ponomusic's just released this 1970 classic in high res! Anyone bite yet? Please share!!!

lambfan68 likes this.
  2. Pappas3278

Pappas3278 Forum Peasant

Not yet, but certainly thinking about it! Thanks for the heads-up.

Andrew likes this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I might bite on this one. If it improves the vinyl that would be great.

4. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

Ditto

5. Joppmann

Joppmann Forum Resident

Just bought it from Pono - and it's a delight! Miles better than any previous CD/digital-version I have owned.

6. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I just bought it also, and I agree that it does sound great. I have been underwhelmed by most of my Hi-rez purchases but this one hit a home run. I finally have a good digital version of one of my favorite albums. Thanks Neil

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Do you have the original Atlantic CD?

8. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I own the original Atlantic CD and the remastered version (Joe Gastwirt?) I actually prefer the original but have never been happy with either one. I cobbled together a version using the tracks off of the CSN box set and the others being from the original CD. I also needle dropped a copy from a very good sounding LP which came out very nice and has been my go to digital version for many years. I think this new version sounds better than any of them. Since I have not been very impressed with Hi-rez in the past I assume there is a remaster involved here, but I don't want to start any fights. Whatever is responsible I think this sounds great.

bonus, MLutthans, Preston and 2 others like this.
  9. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Same here on the Hi-rez arena Tim, thanks for the review, appreciated, I may give this a go :cheers:

10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I bought it this morning. The year value in the metadata for the files is 1994. Don't know what that means, if anything.

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is that the year of the Gastwirt remaster?

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. However, 192k digital wasn't available then, so presumably the date is either in error or something for copyright purposes.

Can anyone get the samples to play on Pono's site? Initially I couldn't get anything to work. After logging in, I now see player controls, but there's never any sound, in either Firefox or Chrome.

13. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

14. agentalbert

Or maybe Gastwirt did a hi-rez transfer that was then downsampled for CD, and what PONO is selling are the full resolution hi-rez files. Was 192k common for archiving in 1994?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I just stated, 192k wasn't available in 1994.

I believe the Buffalo Springfield HDCD transfers were done at 88.2k, for example.

John Buchanan likes this.
  16. Joppmann

Joppmann Forum Resident

Pono site says "recently mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering" about this release.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Thanks. Where does it state that? I can't seem to find any sort of credits on the Pono site.

18. agentalbert

Thanks, I missed your post. I thought that seemed early for 192k, so the date being for copyright purposes (or maybe just being meaningless) is most likely.

19. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

I was able to find it in their facebook feed that comes up towards the bottom of the ponomusic.com page.

"PonoMusic now has two new exclusive Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young albums available in High Resolution at 192kHz/24bit! The classic "Deja Vu" and the more recent tour document "CSNY 1974". Both albums were recently mastered at Bernie Grundman Mastering. Check them out now!"

driverdrummer and lukpac like this.
  20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

21. King Edward

King Edward Well-Known Member

Anyone make any sound comparisons to the 80s Diament CD?

lukpac likes this.
  22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What about the RTR version ?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I compared a few songs using the samples on their site. Fairly similar, although I found the Pono version slightly darker, for better or worse. It sounded good, but the original CD did too.

24. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

So C, N and Y were still able to agree on this happening, eh?

Heart of Gold likes this.
  25. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Bought this a couple of days ago. Sounds great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.