CSNY Deja Vu @ 24/192!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HDListener, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I wouldn't expect much beyond noise. That's already the case for 96kHz material, where musical information usually doesn't extend much past the 22.05kHz limit of CD, leaving mostly noise above that. But I would expect *something* above 48kHz for a 192kHz transfer.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

3. therockman

Thanks, you're right.

moops likes this.
  4. therockman

[​IMG]

Fixed!!!

moops likes this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So, you purchased the download from Pono and analyzed it with your computer software?

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I don't have the expertise to do something like you describe except putting it on a USB stick. I would have to figure that out. However, I don't see the need because I am able to playback via my Mac. I'm not sure how itunes works, I should check with Mac customer service.

I have been burning DVD's with my download files and playing them back through the APL on my main system and on the Oppo. Perhaps, one day, I will go with a music server.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yep.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

When I need my Deja Vu fix I pop the MFSL cassette in the Dragon. It really does sound great. I've thinking about looking into a Pono.

9. therockman

You don't need to own a Pono to download music from the Pono store.

10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thanks Rocky. I've never done downloads before. Stuck in the past where I'm comfortable :)

11. therockman

Now just might be the time to get your feet wet. :wave:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  12. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

I really want this but PonoMusic isn't available in Finland. :cussing:

13. jtiner

jtiner Forum Resident

The Mac is probably more convenient. But, if there's ever any doubt about conversion or clocking or type of stream etc., you can always toss the files on a stick and plug it into the Oppo to know it's playing natively.

14. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I was really against it too, and it's still my last resort. It's pretty easy though. I just download the files onto an external hard drive. I have an Oppo, which reads FLAC files. I just plug the hard drive into the Oppo, and I'm ready to go. I do it the same way for any of the hi-Rez download sites. It's probably the least sophisticated and least elegant way to do it, but it works. I have about 75 albums as hi-Rez downloads, and I only do it when there's no other way to get the album in hi-Rez.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  15. Further

Further Forum Resident

Not sure of your specific situation but simply signing up as US instead of Canada worked for me. Couldn't get anything to work until i did that. I guess they want you to lie before they'll take your money. Haha

redfox62 likes this.
  16. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

17. therockman

I have probably listened to this album at least a dozen times since I bought this download. Right now it is playing in 24/192 on my Oppo and it sounds beautiful. I highly recommend this download to everyone that is a fan of this title.

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Agreed!

therockman likes this.
  19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I think this release is good. Certainly smooth sounding.
    Now that I have this, I conclude that there are many good releases of this album.

The major difference between various releases seems to be how much bass EQ was applied.

20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Two songs into this download, and I am convinced this the best I have ever heard this album.

therockman likes this.
  21. GLYNSTYLER

GLYNSTYLER Forum Resident

I can't stop listening to it - it just keeps on thrilling me. If only this could be released as an SACD in a faux tumbled cowhide and gold-leaf MLPS!

22. TimM

TimM Senior Member

That would be cool. Oh, and I still agree it sounds great.

23. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

I think this sounds great although I was surprised when I compared with the Barry Diament CD that the difference between them isn't huge. I've always liked that mastering and the hi-res is slightly more three dimensional and smoother sounding but as always, YMMV!

24. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Been listening to all the samples. In most cases, they have a lot more bass and less treble than the original CD. The advantage is that this helps smooth out any rough edges in the vocals. The disadvantage is that it can make the bass seem overwhelming, depending on what speakers or headphones you're using and/or your personal preference.

You be the judge. Here is the Pono sample from Track 10:

Pono sample, track 10

For me, that's too dull and bass-heavy. So here is the original CD version, volume matched:

Original CD, volume matched

I think that's much better balanced but there's an unpleasant edge to the vocals.

So here, just for fun, is what might have been - the original CD with a -40 dB notch at 4.3 kHz to take the rasp off the vocal without boosting the bass:

Original CD with notch at 4.3 kHz

25. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Dang, I have the original CD and love it. Is Pono accessible from Norway? If, so, this will be my first purchase this year. Forgive me for asking you and not fellow Norwegians, but it's so smallish here I don't have a fraction of a chance to get local info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.