CSNY Deja Vu @ 24/192!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HDListener, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

By original cd do you mean Joe Gastwirt or Barry Diament mastering?

2. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Not the Gastwirt, which was a remastering. I mean the original CD, and if that was Barry Diament, then that's the one I mean. I have the Gastwirt too and in terms of EQ, it's half-way between the original CD and this latest Grundman remaster.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I do not agree with your assessment I prefer the Pono sample. To each their own, I guess.

4. JWolf

JWolf Member

Why is it most remastered Hi-Res releases get made part of the loudness wars and the dynamics are squashed and they sound awful?

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What releases fit that profile?

6. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

I'm afraid it's because (too) many people today use those pathetic portable units that can't reproduce volumes properly, and they make music for those, killing the music in the same process.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Dynamic music still sounds better on portable devices.

8. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

What is dynamic music? I think all music is dynamic as performed. The question is how it is preserved.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Dio - Holy Diver

10. JWolf

JWolf Member

The sample is not as good as the actual real download. You picked the track with the most bass to sample. Try track 5 Woodstock and you'll hear a much better sample though still not as good as the actual download.

11. JWolf

JWolf Member

For example, take Piano Man by Billy Joel.

From the original CD release...

foobar2000 1.3.3 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2015-06-11 18:16:04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: Billy Joel / Piano Man
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR13 -2.58 dB -19.00 dB 4:16 01-Travelin' Prayer
    DR12 -1.77 dB -18.97 dB 5:39 02-Piano Man
    DR12 -0.74 dB -15.81 dB 3:19 03-Ain't No Crime
    DR14 -2.53 dB -19.85 dB 3:14 04-You're My Home
    DR12 -2.09 dB -18.55 dB 5:45 05-The Ballad of Billy the Kid
    DR13 -3.28 dB -19.00 dB 3:16 06-Worse Comes To Worst
    DR13 -2.55 dB -21.26 dB 3:56 07-Stop In Nevada
    DR12 -3.06 dB -17.75 dB 3:35 08-If I Only Had the Words (To Tell You)
    DR12 -4.03 dB -19.18 dB 3:21 09-Somewhere Along the Line
    DR11 -3.17 dB -18.89 dB 7:18 10-Captain Jack

Number of tracks: 10
    Official DR value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 16
    Bitrate: 1411 kbps
    Codec: CDDA

From HDTracks...

foobar2000 1.1.7 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2013-03-11 02:01:57

Analyzed: Billy Joel / Piano Man

DR8 -0.20 dB -10.99 dB 4:17 01-Travelin' Prayer
    DR8 -0.20 dB -10.61 dB 5:39 02-Piano Man
    DR8 -0.20 dB -9.27 dB 3:19 03-Ain't No Crime
    DR9 -0.20 dB -11.77 dB 3:14 04-You're My Home
    DR8 -0.20 dB -11.11 dB 5:41 05-The Ballad Of Billy The Kid
    DR9 -0.20 dB -11.06 dB 3:16 06-Worse Comes To Worst
    DR9 -0.20 dB -13.28 dB 3:56 07-Stop In Nevada
    DR9 -0.20 dB -10.73 dB 3:35 08-If I Only Had The Words (To Tell You)
    DR9 -0.20 dB -11.46 dB 3:20 09-Somewhere Along The Line
    DR7 -0.20 dB -11.24 dB 7:18 10-Captain Jack

Official DR value: DR8

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 3049 kbps
    Codec: FLAC

I did listen to the original and the HDTrack version of the track Piano Man. Yes, the dynamic range is squashed and it does not sound all that good because of the decrease in dynamic range.

c-eling likes this.
  12. JWolf

JWolf Member

Just to note, not all new hi-res releases are dynamically challenged. Déjà Vu does sound very nice and the dynamics have not been squashed. Some artists care about their music and won't let that happen. Tom Petty is another who cares and has participated in making the hi-res releases.

If you want to see if someone has posted DR info a given release before buying, Album list - Dynamic Range Database » is a great place to look.

budwhite likes this.
  13. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

This is the first hires download that has lived up to the hype, IMO. I have lived with this album since the initial release; this is the best version I have owned/heard.

More suggestions, please!

hbbfam likes this.
  14. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

OK, here's track 5 and I could happily agree with you on this one - I think the sibilants are a bit harsh on the original CD but the Pono sample smoothens them quite nicely without making the bass overwhelming:

Original CD, track 5

Pono sample, track 5

15. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

It sounds good. 192 khz is an overkill and just a waste of space though.

[​IMG]

lukpac likes this.
  16. JWolf

JWolf Member

When I get a release like this, I do convert it to 96khz. I also remove the embedded cover and recompress to free up the wasted space. I compress at FLAC level 8. I do keep the original download, but use the 96khz version to put on my Fiio X3II.

17. aakko

aakko Forum Resident

That's what I do too. I copy the original files to my backup hd and resampled files to my music server. I like to use wasapi on Foobar and my Fiio E10 doesn't support higher than 96 khz anyway.

18. Vorlon

Vorlon Forum Resident

Same thing here. I downsample to 96kHz for my server, and store the 192Khz intact another place.

19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Mastering on this one is very nice. I've not fully compared it to my original [drop out fixed version] but in my cursory compare it appears to have better nicer mid's and richer lows

20. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have only listened to the clips against my my original [drop out fixed version] and that was my takeaway, this one is a little more made to be gelled and vinyl like. The original has a tad more space in the high end on first flush.

It reminded me of what Bellman did to the recent Van Morrison Astral Weeks and His Band remasters. I should get this and spend more time with it but both sound nice.

21. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I got this and it is very nice, although mucho credit to Barry D. as his CD stood up to it like a champ. This was on my office Pono> NAD D 3020 > NHT 2.o, so not the best test ever; but Barry's is like a teensy bit sharper in tone, nice and airy and vocals sound great and feel a bit more separated, the 24/192 just a bit more congealed and its vocals are a little more grounded to the rest of it. In the end it is when the snot starts flying, say in Country Girl, Barry's gets stressed somehow, like the 16 bits are drinking from a fire hose, the 24/192 feels more solid and assured in those times.

mdm08033 likes this.
  22. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Thank you for the review and comparison. My original Diament CD files are "good enough" for now.

bmoregnr likes this.
  23. riogrander

riogrander New Member

Hi there:). I found this thread after purchasing this album (one of my favourites) from 7Digital. Although this was a pono exclusive, that being defunct, it looks like this has now been passed to other online outlets. I have the old Gastwirt CD remaster which I had on hand to compare. After playing the first track a few times, then switching to the CD, it became clear something wasn't quite right. Eventually, I twigged after switching the balance, the right channel on Carry On is completely silent for the first 14 seconds! I have done a Dynamic Range Meter analysis and it seems identical to the pono release, barring a minor difference in the FLAC bitrate which may be down to foobar/tool variation:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database

foobar2000 1.3.12 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2017-05-07 16:30:54
    Analyzed: Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young / Deja Vu (1)
    Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young / Deja Vu (2-10)
    DR13 -1.35 dB -16.80 dB 4:28 01-Carry On
    DR12 -2.24 dB -16.93 dB 2:54 02-Teach Your Children
    DR12 -3.55 dB -18.11 dB 4:30 03-Almost Cut My Hair
    DR11 -5.32 dB -20.75 dB 3:40 04-Helpless
    DR11 -1.66 dB -16.79 dB 3:54 05-Woodstock
    DR11 -3.84 dB -18.05 dB 4:13 06-Deja Vu
    DR13 -2.55 dB -19.25 dB 3:00 07-Our House
    DR13 -3.52 dB -21.33 dB 2:08 08-4 + 20
    DR10 -3.03 dB -15.97 dB 5:13 09-Country Girl: A. Whiskey Boot Hill. B. Down, Down, Down. C. "Country Girl" [I Think You're Pretty]
    DR10 -3.30 dB -15.49 dB 2:21 10-Everybody I Love You
    Official DR value: DR12
    Samplerate: 192000 Hz
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 5014 kbps
    Codec: FLAC
    ================================================================================

I would really appreciate if someone could check their own download to confirm this error. We could then bring this to the attention of Bernie Grundman and Rhino/Warner Music for a fix. Grundman also did the 2005 vinyl release, so it may be the same source, although the track timings differ considerably.

https://www.discogs.com/Crosby-Stills-Nash-Young-Déjà-Vu/release/2408262

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There's nothing in error. The right channel of Carry On is in fact silent on the original mix. For both the box set and the 1994 CD Joe Gastwirt narrowed the channels. Other digital releases have the correct separation.

riogrander and superstar19 like this.
  25. riogrander

riogrander New Member

Thanks for your quick reply luk! How embarrassing:rolleyes:. Good to know that it's as intended though! The analysises I did using musicscope confirmed what was said earlier in the thread that the album is 96khz upsampled to 192.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.