CSNY Deja Vu @ 24/192!*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HDListener, Mar 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

As the Pono site is dead is there any other way to obtain the Hi-Rez Bernie Grundman remaster? I looked over at HDtracks and there's no mention of who mastered the version they have available.

art likes this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can’t imagine there is more than one HD version.

3. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

Maybe someone can help me here due all threads about the original CD are close.

I got today the Japan 20P2-2355 "forever young" what I get? (not listened yet)
    1. I get the Barry Diament mastering without drops? (that means that someone take the Barry Diament and "fixed")?
    2. The Japan 32XD-367 is/has the Barry Diament?
    3. Why the Barry Diament has dropouts, that drops are not in the original vinyl?
    :righton:

4. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Discogs is incorrect. The Gastwirt remaster didn't exist yet. Somebody just copied the information from that release.

6. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

thanks mmm so it's the Joe Gastwirt ? mmm I read other thing here in the forum, some even claims that is the best, and "mistery mastering"; maybe discogs is wrong? I go to read the closed threads more.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

See above.

stenway likes this.
  8. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

oh! that is, you reply at the same time that I write my last comment :righton:

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the japanese HDCD version is very nice, in spite of some tape hiss.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There’s a lot of hiss because it is much brighter than other versions.

11. therockman

Thanks lukpac. I am happy with the 24 bit 192 khz remaster, it sounds good to my ears.

jhm likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

but it does sound very nice.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I would disagree.

14. therockman

I agree that most people, including me, would disagree. It sounds horrendous.

15. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Did we answer @stenway 's question?

This first post and thread is what I used in the past to check for the glitches so that is something @stenway can check. It also seems to be confirmed in that thread the 20p matches Barry's and doesn't have the glitches Pre-remaster Deja Vu CDs

16. MemphisManOne

MemphisManOne Forum Resident

The original channel of Carry On from Deja Vu is mostly but not completely silent. I had a phone conversation with Joe Gastwirt some years ago and actually brought up that issue myself asking him why he muted that side. He said the beginning of the master tape of Carry On had deteriorated so badly on that channel that it made more sense to mute the side completely until the vocals kicked in.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  17. howardg6

howardg6 Senior Member

Could anyone answer a question about the 24/192 version of Deja Vu.
    When I first heard Carry On through headphones, I am certain that I could hear what sounded like people in my room during the acoustic guitar(s) intro in the left channel. Of course the sounds were on the recording only to be drowned out when the right channel introduces the bass and vocals. As I had not heard this before on any other version of the track, I put it down to a combination of the extra detail extracted from the new remaster, the higher sample rate and the capabilities of my headphones, the AKG 702 which are fairy revealing.
    In fact I used this track to audition other components to test their ability to reveal detail. I used this opening as benchmark but I only heard the "noises in the room" through the 702s.

I recently listened recently to the file, which is confirmed by foobar and my DAC, as playing the 192000 sample rate and I no longer hear the "noises in the room". Can anyone tell me whether or not these noises exist. Many thanks.

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. Gastwirt didn’t mute a channel, he narrowed the separation so that channel *wasn’t* silent.

There doesn’t seem to be any deterioration evident on the other releases. Nor is it clear why deterioration would matter when the only thing there is tape hiss.

19. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Maybe its time for a remix.

20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I cant imagine that being anything but a nightmare. Are multis even available?

...paging Steven Wilson

drum_cas and duneman like this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The multis should be available. 4+20 has been remixed twice already.

That said, the alternate mixes of Carry On, Almost Cut My Hair, and Woodstock don’t actually sound that different.

mpayan likes this.
  22. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

might not sound different except hopefully cleaned up and more detailed, a la the SW remixes.

23. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Hi Lukpac, the only copy of Deja Vu I have is made in Switzerland. Can you tell me if this is the Diamant version. It does sound nice to my ears but I have nothing to compare to. I do recall reading in another thread somewhere that the West Germany pressing is not Barry's. Thanks for your help.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

What is the catalog number, matrix, etc?

25. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

The catalog # is SD19118-2 250 001 and the matrix is 7567 19118-2 2895 821 03

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.