Deja Vu: CD-R of the LP--the listening experience...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Jun 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Very true! I have a good idea of what to look for but here's the hitch. I did find another "RSC" copy of 'Deja Vu' the other week and it's no where as good as this one (very veiled/dull). I think Tom Port is 100% correct that not all pressings (even with same dead-wax marks) are equal. It's all hit & miss I guess...

Todd

P.S. That's great your girlfriend couldn't tell it was sourced from vinyl!!

2. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Todd,

Interesting--I guess LP pressings are really hit or miss. My girlfriend has a great ear eventhough music is not as big a passion with her as it is with me. However, the music that she enjoys, she really loves--Motown, Soul, old R & B, Sinatra & Cole, 50's & 60's Jazz. Deja Vu brings back memories for her because of the times...she was 13 when it was released and she told me she dressed like a hippy at that age!...that was before she got into modeling and designer clothes! :D

Bob

3. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I just listened to Todd's CDr copy of "Deja Vu" and was very impressed with the sound of this disc. It sounds very warm and not harsh at all. The seperation of the vocals and the instruments are excellent. For instance, on "Helpless", the instruments and vocals are extremely clear and warm; almost like the background vocals are being sung in your listening area. Listening to this CDr brings back great memories of listening to the original vinyl, all those years ago. Thanks to Todd for bringing this classic back to life again.

HeavyDistortion

4. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, HeavyDistortion! I'm glad you like it. Steve, is so right about "it's all in the mastering". The disc this 'Deja Vu' CD-R is sourced from had great mastering and all I had to do is a straight transfer (that's usually all I want to do with a CD-R copy of a great disc/usually great mastering's already completed). This CD still retains the "analog" warmth of the vinyl (which I think is very important/key for this album). It still makes me wonder why a lot of engineers just lose that simple analog/warmth quality. Are they trying to turn it into something it isn't? I wonder what the master tape sounds like (sadly, with drop-outs, etc.)? Why turn a tasty cake into a pie? It just goes to show how very lucky we are to have Steve (and a few others) putting "real" stuff out...

Todd

P.S. Has anyone else out there completed their vinyl transfers to CD-R (with each user's method) for Bob to evaluate? I thought there would be several pounds of CD-R material by now...

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Todd,
    I sure would like to hear that CDR. One of my favorite LPs. I'm still searching for the Japanese HDCD Mini LP version!:)
    Michael

6. Todd Fredericks

Michael,

I can do it for you (or even some of the other folks I sent copies to). Send me a PM...

Todd

P.S. Are other people working on their CD-R's? Please post if you are...

7. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Originally posted by Todd Fredericks
    P.S. Has anyone else out there completed their vinyl transfers to CD-R (with each user's method) for Bob to evaluate? I thought there would be several pounds of CD-R material by now...

I just re-read this thread, maybe I missed it. CD-R of this LP, or any LP?

8. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Dan,

Any LP that you feel has great sound in the LP format.

Bob :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.