Deleted 12,000+ Digital Files

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Why didn't you just put the last sentence at the top? Woulda saved me the time of reading the rest.

2. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Still trying to figure out all this management and backup time being referred to. Since the OP already had everything on a hdd, wouldn’t it have been wise to just bring it off-site somewhere and use as a last resort to enjoy music if something catostrophic were to ever happen to his collection? Whole thing is just an absurd attention-getter.

ARK and mando_dan like this.
  3. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

I have a massive digital collection but could never get rid. I listen on my commute to and from work, lunch break, cooking, cleaning etc.

coffeetime likes this.
  4. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

You could have given that to someone and made them very happy.

Very bizarre behavior on your part.

5. Carl Swanson

It's impossible to make someone else feel inferior without their cooperation.

ARK and JimSpark like this.
  6. Carl Swanson

My "digital" collection consists of copies of my CDs and a few cassettes, LPs and 45s.

53,000+ tracks, making it a modest collection.

7. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

What a weird thing to brag about.

mando_dan and rvintamin like this.
  8. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Managing and backing up is mainly related to continuing the process of adding to the digital collection...all the tagging finding the correct artwork so on and so forth. All the time spent seeking and managing is better spent enjoying what has been sitting on the shelf for years. Nothing to do with attention but the topic certainly has gotten way more attention than I ever expected. In a way, I find it entertaining to see all these responses.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Geordie777 likes this.
  9. Carl Swanson

Harder. Lead's heavier.

10. Speaking of hassles, for the past six months (and probably going through the next year) I've been going through my 2000+ vinyl needle drops - splitting tracks, making EQ tweaks, and eliminating as many clicks and other extraneous surface noise as (transparently) possible - which requires listening through every single track start to finish. It's a huge, painstaking, time consuming effort, but for me it will pay huge dividends in making the music I love as conveniently and ideally listenable as possible.

And best of all, I'll never have to clean another record...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  11. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

That is technically illegal. This is part of the problem - people needs to realize this.

v

12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Excellent. It took me a little longer.
    Father's Day 2018.

ARK likes this.
  13. NettleBed

It's not technically illegal, it *is* illegal.

Also, nobody really cares.

ARK likes this.
  14. Carl Swanson

Congratulations! Great day to do it

Go and sin no more.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  15. Victor Martell

Which is sad - I have always paid for my content - and more gladly when that content is art... same reason I reject music as a service/utility...

v

16. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

The question of owning physical media versus streaming/files is ultimately socio-philosophical when it comes right down to it.

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

[​IMG]

ARK, coffeetime and Brenald79 like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that ship sailed 10 years ago

19. Victor Martell

Doesn't make it right!

v

20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

whoa! this is like keeping a pack of cigs around after quitting smoking, a clean break!

oh i get what youre saying and agree, not saying right or wrong. but once labels allowed youtube to stream music unfettered for the masses, the horse was officially out of the barn, most kids don't even have a concept of 'owning music'....they could easily download anything they want in a second but, why? its all there anyway

jay.dee likes this.
  21. NettleBed

I don't consider it sad. If someone had gifted me a hard drive with thousands of albums on it, I can only imagine the hundreds of future sales it would have generated.

Those digital files would have made the right music fan very happy, and led to many future sales that otherwise would not have happened.

Or, we can miss the forest for the trees and fret about it being illegal. Yeah, it's illegal. So was the tape sharing I did in high school. Which led to me buying hundreds of albums - some several times over in multiple formats. Whether it's illegal or not, it's sure not wrong.

22. Kurt RUhlin

Kurt RUhlin Forum Resident

I totally get it. Digital files to me, are a nuisance. Not a easy task to store in any meaningful way. I don't buy digital music but I have ripped from physical so I can synch with my ipod player to allow me to listen on flights. Usually copy new stuff so I can spend down time getting more familiar with it

23. Victor Martell

well - this is turning into a different discussion - I do believe that just by being in this forum you are the kind of person that kind of deserves a happy medium - that is, you are right, while illegal I am pretty sure that kind of sampling - be it home taping or free downloads or even spotify - did turn into sales, which might now have happened if you not had not sampled - guess that is fine.

The problem is that people like Nettle (who actually bought something ) or myself ( I never even home taped, let alone download free files -always always always pay for my content) are in the tiny, tiny, tiny minority - the rest of the populace steals music with a lack of compunction, remorse and with utter selfishness that is bold and mindless - I swear, I know MANY ( I could name names!) people that just do not get how we owe something to the recording artist... really! as in paying for the music these artist toil to create is BEYOND their comprehension... hard to come with an analogy - something like drinking blood - not impossible, but is just not logical... so it is never and should not be done. (if you find a better analogy, it is welcomed)

I remember and artist talking of his experience with fans indicating that he was their favorite... and how they had downloaded ALL of his albums... like this was an honor for the artist and an indication of their respect and admiration... when pressed by the artist they indicated the source was torrent...

That is the current state of the relationship of the average listener with the creators...

v

wrappedinsky and jay.dee like this.
  24. NettleBed

All fair points. All I meant by my original statement was some music fan along the lines of people in here.

Not trying to be an advocate for wanton copyright infringement or anything like that.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’ll be back and sooner than you think. New releases being available via non-physical disc only is not that far off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.