Deleted 12,000+ Digital Files

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rockin_since_58, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Truth is: music is music. Digital, LP, CD, or whatever. Your loss.

That said, I do understand the idea of never getting to listen to about 90% of your collection. I’m in the same boat.

2. Catfish Stevens

Catfish Stevens Forum Resident

LOL No, but I can zoom in and read fine print on cd releases that was hard to read when my eyes were decades younger let alone today. I can also walk up to it and see the printers dots if I so choose.

3. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

Ok, first. I'm married. I didn't say my wife doesn't download music. I said I don't. Secondly, physical anything is always better, a great phylosophy to learn is..if you can see it, touch it, smell it, and feel it, it's better. I'd like to ask you a question. When is the last time you ever felt a download?

4. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

That's not a philosophy. That's dogma.

5. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

A way better philosophy is, as long as you can hear the sound waves coming into your ears and you enjoy the music, there is no "better" way to listen to music, only what you personally prefer

When was the last time you felt music? That is a way better question to ask than about feeling downloads lol, regardless of what format, music is not tangible - only some of the mediums that contain it.

ARK, Starwanderer, wolfram and 2 others like this.
  6. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

“I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond!

I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive."

- George Carlin

Quote by George Carlin: “I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Dig...”

Beatnik_Daddyo'73, Guy E and jay.dee like this.
  7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

It is shocking the number of posts are basically saying "if it isn't tangible than it is objectively a lesser experience" when talking about sound waves people enjoy listening to lol. I get having personal preferences, and liking tangibility is totally cool don't get me wrong, but that type of musical gatekeeping is logically flawed and I just don't get how certain people fail to see their flaws in objectifying an inherently subjective and very personal thing music listening is for people

I love CD's and vinyl, but digital downloads and streaming are just as valid of a way to experience music and there is just no getting around that

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Youtube is a streaming site.

ARK likes this.
  9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I doubt I'd ever actually delete my digital files since it would mean the loss of days of work just for the metadata alone. Instead, I'd just save them to a backup drive and then delete them from my main drive just in case I wanted them back. That way, I can easily recover them if I choose and the cost of a backup drive isn't too much and doesn't take up too much space (I just purchased a 2TB drive the size of a paperback book for backup for $80).
    I think all physical media will remain, but it won't be the main format for new music. Instead, I could see it as an option for people who want to use physical media. While each niche might only be a small amount of the total, the entire total of all niches together might remain significant enough to be a factor.
    I don't think new 8-tracks are still being produced (except for a few special cases where a band released in all formats including 8-track). However, there are a large amount of existing 8-tracks still around, often at a low cost. There was a documentary named So Wrong, They're Right from 1995 about devotees to 8-tracks and they were picking up 8-tracks for as little as 25 cents.

The one format I could see still being around is the compact cassette, mainly because it is the one format that you can easily make yourself...if you choose. Two tape decks, some blank tapes, and you are good to go to make your own tapes from what ever source you choose.

I think an issue with physical media is the loss of the old infrastructure. When each physical media was significant, there was an entire infrastructure that supported the formats. You wanted a compact cassette deck, you could easily purchase a new deck and new tapes, likewise with CD players and turntables. Although there are new quality turntables being released and new LPs/45s being released, this is not the case with other formats.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

He's been missing out for years because I've yet to see a single LP or CD with a braile cover. Only in the last decade or so have we seen the technology progress so that blind people can really discover things in the same way as sighted people.

11. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I can certainly appreciate the nobility of it. Artist royalties aren't rolling-in, but it's far more environmentally friendly, and living without clutter is a goal that I can understand.

I doubt if I'd personally enjoy it, but I know the day will come when I dip my toe in the streaming waters because it'll be the only way that I can hear new music. Down the road.

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Not exactly the "last" time, but see post #685. There has been a few archival releases from Tuxedomoon's early years posted on bandcamp recently that have been amazing, for another example.

I can barely imagine what my music listening experience would be like today if I restricted myself solely to physical media. It would suck.

13. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I've downloaded the same range of stuff. Bandcamp has been something of a lifesaver for me in the past 30-months, living overseas. The difference with me is that, if I like what I hear during a spot-check, I always burn CDR's. If I like my first listen well enough that I expect to listen to it a second or third time, I assemble artwork, which is really fun and easy with Google Images and Photoshop (these days I use Gimp2). So, my downloads take their place in my physical collection, it's all one.

I have also listened to full Grateful Dead shows - 4-CD's worth - hooking my FiiO player up to my stereo. The music is lossless, FLAC files, and you're right, it is more like an uninterrupted concert experience. Once again, I have the music in my collection as CD's, or in CDR form with artwork, even if I DL'd it from 7Digital.

So, I think of myself as a physical media guy, but some of that comes in music geek hobbiest form.

This thread has encompassed a lot of things other than digital files on a computer... plenty of "streaming" discussion has crept-in.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    tmtomh likes this.
  14. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Exactly! You get closer to the music because you can see the picture. It's completely not ludicrous.

15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

we were all thinking it

Dave S and Guy E like this.
  16. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

17. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Stevie does not have the connection to the listening experience we have, on account of his eye not working. If he could see the artwork I think he'd be more in tune with music.

dkmonroe likes this.
  18. the pope ondine

no, I was posting the photo because the cover is printed in braille....come on people

Guy E likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Beethoven, on the other hand, was deaf, but could see. But wait, there were NO ALBUM COVERS when Beethoven was alive!

[​IMG]
    No wonder he looks so pissed off.

20. INSW

INSW Senior Member

If I were blind I would have known that. I suppose it works both ways.

21. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Wasn't this footage faked?

Crimson Witch likes this.
  22. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

[​IMG]

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The SKAM label have many releases with braille covers. Too bad most are costly and hard to track down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave S likes this.
  24. the pope ondine

yes, and the whole lemmings thing was debunked.....

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

precisely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.