Deleted scenes that have never been seen

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sidewinder572, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Because in 1933 nobody thought to save discardeded scenes for the DVD release...

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

But it wasn't simply a dialogue scene. It must have been an expensive scene to film.

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Keep in mind that they had to re-use the film stock itself. They had no reason to save a scene that wasn't going to be in the final film. In 1933 nobody thought that anyone would want to see the scene after they ruled it unfit for the final print.

fr in sc likes this.
  4. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

But Paramount has always been squeamish about the 'Friday' gore. Everyone was hoping for lovingly restored releases in the box set edition (with trimmed gore scenes inserted), but no such luck.

The Australian (R4) DVD release of 'Friday the 13th' (the original) is actually uncut (as Warners held the distribution rights in this region - or something).

5. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yeah, I have the Japanese CD-Video of that, and the Kevin Bacon death scene is much longer. Also, the axe face victim and Mrs. Voorhees death are also more explicit.

Tons was cut from Part 2, never to be seen again.

6. dbz

dbz Bolinhead.

Scars of Dracula-The most vicious of the Hammer Dracs has him punishing Patrick Troughton, his man slave with a poker on his back (missing in Uk anyway)

O.H.M.S.S-Lazenby is spied upon when at the heraldic college of arms, by one of Blofeld's men, giving rise to a rooftop chase which was ultimately deleted and lost.

7. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

The Wizard of Oz's "Jitterbug" sequence hasn't been seen in a while.

Pitty that nothing could be located.

Still, it's nice to at least have the scarecrow's extended dance number.

8. dasjr

dasjr Forum Resident

Did we already mention the dance scene from "Legend"? So many references to it in the movie, but the footage (though not the audio) is gone forever. Kudos to the DVD guys for doing their best to recreate it (photos, home movies, etc).

9. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

That's the scene where George gets away from the "eastern thugs" in a ticker-tape machine. I don't know why it was cut. If you take another look, you'll notice he's pulling of his RINGO face mask at the beginning.

I'm guessing this short scene didn't get the laugh that was expected.

At least this scene explains what the Capitol album sleeve was going on about when it asked, "Will George ever get back to his ticker tape machine?"

10. In "Life of Brian" there was a particular scene that was deemed too offensive. It had the character "Otto" lead his team of jewish soldiers into a suicide Practice after a Hitler-like speech. The final film still contains a scene where Otto and his men kill themselves at the cross, but they don't show the set-up scene when Otto gives a Hitler-like rant about race purifacation before they run throgh a botched practice suicide. There was another funny scene where Brian is shaken down by a "Psychopath", but that may have been added to the Criterian addition which I have yet to see.

11. El Bacho

El Bacho Forum Resident

A good copy of the deleted scene for "Life of Brian" has been found and will be included in a DVD reissue this fall.

12. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Kurosawa's Hakuchi (The Idiot), based on the book by Dostoyevsky.

The original cut was 265 minutes (can't believe someone would attempt that in 1951), but was cut down to 180 minutes for the premiere. The version currently available on DVD is 166 minutes.

Supposedly, there is one copy of the original cut in existence. The owner won't allow anyone to see it, not even Kurosawa's own family!

Great flick, by the way (some disagree). You can't go wrong with a movie that combines the talents of 2 creative genius' (Dostoyevsky & Kurosawa), and stars Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura. An underrated gem.

13. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yeah, it's odd that he refuses to officially release it as a DVD extra, but he was right to cut it from the original film. It drags the story down. But everybody knows about it, so it looks like he's merely taunting the fans by not showing it.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I can see why he cut it, and didn't include it as an extra. The dialog is pretty weak, and it doesn't introduce Luke very well. There was even a scene cut out of the Cantina where your first view of Han is talking to a girl. It was cut too. If you think about how each main character was introduced, it was always in a rather thematic portrayal. Introducing Luke in this manner (especially with no chance for accompanying theme music) is not as dramatic IMO.

15. lasvidfil

lasvidfil Forum Resident

16. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Wow, really? I thought I would have the best ever with the Criterion DVD, but I'm also an easy mark for upgraded special features...

17. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Yes, I can definitely see why it was cut. Hammil's acting isn't the greatest (the much later scene in the Rebel base hangar prior to the attack on the Death Star is almost cringe-inducing), and the scene overall is poor. It was, however, included in the kid's 'Movie Book' of 'Star Wars' (with an accompanying still photo of Luke looking aloft with his binoculars).

I'd actually give the credit to Marcia Lucas for the editorial decisions of 'Star Wars'. Remember, she was previously involved with editing 'American Graffiti', 'Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore' and 'Taxi Driver' - so I'm inclined to lean her way in discussing how the material in 'Star Wars' found its way onto the screen.

18. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Speaking of which, has there ever been any deleted scenes mentioned from AMERICAN GRAFFITI?

19. minerwerks

I believe Universal had Lucas remove a couple scenes upon the original release, but following the success of 'Star Wars,' he was allowed to reinstate them (and remix the soundtrack in Dolby Stereo). I believe the home video releases have all been the later version.

20. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Ah yes, that's right...I recall reading that a few years back. I think the "Some Enchanted Evening" scene was one of them. Funny, as I never saw the original cut, I can't picture the movie without them.

And, for another totally different thread, don't even get me started on Lucas's insistance that he add a "beatuiful sunset" to the rear of Mel's Diner in the current DVD in the opening credits. Thank Gawd for the widesceen laserdisc!

21. minerwerks

Yeah, I kept my LD for exactly that reason. He also color corrected the rest of the scene outside the drive-in to match. Seeing this picture of an 'American Graffiti' celebration at an actual drive-in makes me wonder if Universal actually struck prints with this alteration:
    [​IMG]

This page lists three items Lucas added back to the film:
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/cut_list/americangraffiti.html

22. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

Return of the Jedi: a lost scene involving a sandstorm right before they leave Tattooine. Han Solo and Lando Calrissian have a sort of reconciliation:

HAN: Guess I owe you some thanks, too, Lando.

LANDO: Figured if I left you frozen like that you'd just give me bad luck the rest of my life, so I might as well get you unfrozen sooner or later.

LEIA: He means "You're welcome."

LANDO: Come on, let's get off this miserable dust ball.

Attack of the Clones: Mace Windu and Kit Fisto storm a Federation ship with a small commando of clones for hand to hand combat.

Lord Of The Rings:

Fellowship of the Ring: The Moria orcs engage in a chase with the fellowship through the woods after fleeing Moria on their way to Lothlorien. a quick battle ensues

The Two Towers: Gandalf and the Barlog were to emerge from their long fall from the waters and the Balrog was to be extinguished and appear had a half skeletal creature covered in slime.

Return of the King: An angelic deity appears at the height of the battle outside the gates of Mordor. Aragorn realizes it is Sauron using the disguise he used to deceive the elves into taking the rings eons ago. He then engages in a one on one battle with Sauron. This was changed from Sauron to a Cave Troll.

23. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Were these scenes filmed, or just in the script?

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Of course, the new sunset brings up a MAJOR gaffe, because in every other scene at the diner, the backround buildings are visible. Wow. They sure erected them pretty damn fast! In the time it took for Toad to crash the Vespa, they built buildings!

25. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

The Fellowing and Return of the King scenes were filmed, The Two Towers was just storyboarded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.