Denafrips Ares II or Border Patrol SE

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Guy Gadbois, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Guy Gadbois

Guy Gadbois Chief Inspector Thread Starter

I'm in the market for an analog sounding DAC for my Bluesound Node II. I've narrowed it down to the Ares II or Border Patrol. I have access locally to a BP and would try to score a Ares II on the used market. The Ares has two COAX inputs which is great for my CD and Bluesound.

Has anyone heard or owned both of these? I know what they expectation is individually, but I'd really like input from members who have heard both.

Thanks!

Spooky, Art K and Ivand like this.
  2. Guy Gadbois

3. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Check Steve Guttenberg’s review of the Ares II on YouTube. He briefly compares it to the Border Patrol.

Hope others chime in. This is something I’d like to know too.

Guy Gadbois likes this.
  4. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

I have the Ares II and love it. You won’t be disappointed. My plan is to get a BP dac as well. A local dealer has one and also loves it. I started with the Ares as it does DSD where as the BP only does 24/96.

FunnyChap, Guy Gadbois and Ivand like this.
  5. Guy Gadbois

I'm new to this DAC thing. What's the advantage of DSD over 24/96?

6. fcdvpds

fcdvpds Forum Resident

7. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

@Art K has the Border Patrol and loves it. Analog sounding. I would trust him before any online reviewers.

Scratcha, Jacob29, Art K and 2 others like this.
  8. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

I have a Black Ice GlassFX tube DAC (the one that won the AZ club shootout) and the new Audio-GD R2r-R1... and I really want to try the BP SEi!

Now that I have mostly retired my vinyl rig, the DAC has become the source!

timind and Guy Gadbois like this.
  9. Guy Gadbois

I just sold 400 albums from my collection but still want to be able to listen to those albums in an analog like way

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  10. Art K

Art K Retired but not tired!

I have owned both and like both. As you will see in my profile, I preferred the Border Patrol. Beautiful analog sound without smoothing out the sound too much. Perfect for my needs. I only have one input on mine so I am using my Bluesound Node straight up and using the BP with my CD transport.

SandAndGlass, Benzion and h1pst3r88 like this.
  11. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Art, what tube are you using in the Border Patrol?

-Chris

12. Art K

Whatever came in it.

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  13. Oliver Meyer

Oliver Meyer In Audio Heaven Up Here

Im not sure there’s a massive advantage. There’s plenty of red book recordings that sound better than DSD. I have many a SACD title that Ive ripped to DSD which is why I wanted a DAC capable of playing those files. If you plan on streaming with Qobuz or Tidal it won’t matter which DAC you get. I guess the best solution is to try to hear both and make a call though I think the BP might be more to your liking.

14. Guy Gadbois

I would be doing the opposite: the BP would go with my Node II and I'd use my CD player directly into my amp as I am doing right now. I wish the BP had two COAX inputs like the Ares II so I could use it for both of my digital units. But I just really want something that will make Qobuz sound not as digital as it dies thru the Node II

I should say too that digital is maybe 20% of my listening. The 80% is vinyl

h1pst3r88 likes this.
  15. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I roll the Brimar black plate in the Border Patrol. It has a little more gravitas than the Mullard gray plates that are variously supplied as NOS EZ80s- I had no experience with this tube and there seem to be far fewer options to roll.

Fractured and Joe Spivey like this.
  16. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

The one advantage the Ares II has over the Border Patrol is the multiple inputs. At first I was looking at the Border Patrol but just could not get passed the single coaxial input or for a bunch more money...added USB input. I have no need for USB input but do need multiple digital inputs.

17. h1pst3r88

h1pst3r88 Forum Resident

Agreed -- I want all the digital input options! My Audio-GD has the usual suspects but also has three analog outs, RCA, XLR, ACSS, the XLR I will switch with an adapter to plugin into my 2nd tube amp (6L6-based Cayin A-60T). It's is a very nice convenience!

The Black Ice also has all the options plus wifi (which I never use) but I do really like being able to feed Qobuz into one DAC input and my SACD player into the other -- even Amazon Music via my TV over optical. Options are nice.

-Chris

18. TEA FOR ONE

TEA FOR ONE Listening to the world one note at a time

I would love to try both. If there were some way for me to get both,the BP would have to go in my secondary system which is streaming only,one source. (Node 2) My main system requires 2 digital inputs as I use my CD player as a transport,and a Node 2i.

19. Jaytor

Jaytor DIY Enthusiast

I haven't heard the Ares II, but have owned a Terminator and currently own the Terminator Plus, which I think have a fairly similar presentation to the Ares II. I have heard the Border Patrol in my system, but this was shortly before I go the Terminator (early last year), so the direct comparison was with an Yggy A2.

Compared to the Yggy, the Border Patrol had a much more laid-back presentation with a smoother mid-range/high-end. It was not as dynamic as the Yggy and did not have as powerful bass. It was a couple months before I got the Terminator, so my aural memory is probably not perfect, but I think the Terminator delivered a lot of the smoothness and a bit of the warmth of the BP, but still with a much more forward presentation.

I would guess that the BP would be a bit more forgiving of poorer recordings, but I personally prefer the more forward presentation of the Denafrips DACs.

FunnyChap, jusbe, dj_w and 3 others like this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Very interesting- in the Audio Note tradition of non oversampling, no op amps and no digital filters and tubes- at a very reasonable cost! If I didn't have good embedded DACs I would give this one or the Stockholm V2 a try,

fcdvpds likes this.
  21. Tone?

Tone? Forum Resident

These R2R DACs have my attention and would love to try one someday

FunnyChap and Bananas&blow like this.
  22. three_paws

three_paws deleted account

Curious, what did you like more about the BP? Tx.

Art K likes this.
  23. Art K

The sound. The Denafrips was very good and more detailed. The Border Patrol allowed me to be immersed in the music and not the detail. The Denafrips is a winner and I would have kept it for longer but it was also sensitive to any disturbance in the electrical. Bathroom fan turned on and it skipped. The Border Patrol, not at all. I would love to have the BP with 2 coax inputs but that ain't how he makes them so...

jonwoody, three_paws, Ivand and 2 others like this.
  24. Guy Gadbois

Man this is a tough choice!! :help:

25. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Well, I initially liked my Border Patrol for all the reasons enumerated. Then one day I realized I could not tell who one female singer was. Same thing with some other female singers. Knew the music and who should be singing but! Some hints but not really clear. Doris Day sounded like Doris Smith. Smooth yes. LP like yes. But Doris Smith wasn’t my bag. As soon as I removed the DAC and went straight CD Player into preamp, Doris Day was back as were the others.

In this case I did not have the tube option in the circuit thinking it a bit overly rich. I’ll have go back to try that again at some point. Trust me, a real surprise.

FunnyChap, DancingSea and jusbe like this.