Dennis DeYoung wants to be back in STYX for final tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scottb, Aug 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Who says he's a raging Dennis fan? Seems pretty dismissive of you. He seems to have at least SOME insight that also shouldn't be dismissed.

Doggiedogma, PDK and George Co-Stanza like this.
  2. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Yes, I was there. I said so the first time around.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Yes, but the current version of the band don't come out and play their top 40 hits live. What you're likely to get from your list above is something like this:

Lady (6) (DeYoung)
    Come Sail Away (8) (DeYoung)
    Too Much Time on My Hands (9) (Shaw)
    Renegade (16) (Shaw)
    Blue Collar Man (21) (Shaw)
    Lorelei (27) (DeYoung/Young)
    Fooling Yourself (29) (Shaw)

Babe (1) (DeYoung)
    Show Me the Way (3) (DeYoung)
    The Best of Times (3) (DeYoung)
    Mr Roboto (3) (DeYoung)
    Don't Let it end (6) (DeYoung)
    Love at First Sight (25) (Burtnik/DeYoung/Young)
    Why Me (26) (DeYoung)
    Mademoiselle (36) (DeYoung/Shaw)
    Music Time (40) (DeYoung)
    Obviously, "Lady" and "Come Sail Away" (and the non-charting "Grand Illusion") are essential to a live Styx show, and they probably play those three at virtually every show of theirs. But I seriously doubt that fans leaving arenas are griping about the absence of hits like "Music Time", "Love at First Sight", or "Show Me The Way". Undoubtedly, there are some "Babes" in their 50s who want to hear that song and some others who had "The Best of Times" as their prom theme and would like to hear that one, but most folks seem to have a fairly decent time at modern Styx shows, or they wouldn't still be playing 100 shows/year.

Yes, several of DDY's songs are clearly essential to their current act and without his songwriting/producing skills, they likely wouldn't still be doing this, but it's not like their entire modern show relies on nothing but his work. Several of Shaw's lesser hits are arguably much more popular than the higher charting songs Dennis wrote.

izgoblin likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Interesting. I saw them in 1990 on the tour they did without Shaw, but I have no memory of it (I was 17 and it was only my 3rd concert ever, LOL).

5. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member Thread Starter

Yes there is a dynamic between him and the band that none of us will really know. Yes I'm a huge Dennis DeYoung fan. Dennis was the sole of the band. Many band members have issues and for the sake of the music they carry on with the real players in the band. If they didn't want Dennis back then they should have billed the tour as Tommy Shaw and James Young band. Some of the same crap has been going on with YES (YES is my favorite band) and I take the same side. No Jon Anderson at the mic no YES. When I hear Gowan singing Dennis' parts I just cringe and Gowan likes to make believe that he was in the band when they made all those great albums in the 70's and early 80's like the songs are 'his songs'. Mgmt is very heavy handed but they really drove a huge wedge between Dennis and the other guys. The mgmt team they were using back in the late 90's was the worst of the worst-bottom of the barrel .

Doggiedogma and George Co-Stanza like this.
  6. mrjinks

Here’s what I saw then:
    Styx Setlist at Paramount Theatre, Seattle

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Damn Yankees has to the most dreadful 'super group' of all-time. Absolutely horrible.

8. Scottb

First of all why do you keep mentioning the song 'Music Time' it was the absolute worst song ever by them and you leave out all the album cuts that Dennis wrote himself or co-wrote with Shaw. Let's see what we have here.

Suite Madame Blue
    Castle Walls
    I'm OK
    Queen of Spades
    Pieces of Eight
    Lights
    Why Me
    Rockin The Paradise
    The Best of Times.

I know the current line up did do the whole Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight and the songs that Tommy and JY sang sounded good.However when Gowan howls into that mic attempting to sing any of the songs that Dennis sang lead on it's like sharp nails running down a blackboard but worse. Gowan has a good voice for his material and solo work but not the kind of voice to pull off the DeYoung tracks.

Doggiedogma, yesstiles and GodShifter like this.
  9. Judge Judy

Unless I'm forgetting somebody they were the most egregious case of a "band" assembled by record labels and managers that I can think of.

Malina, Scottb and GodShifter like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I like both albums quite a bit. *shrugs*

MikeInFla likes this.
  11. Scottb

So Burtnick is back in the band? A few of those songs are the songs from Edge of The Century. I cringe just trying to imagine how bad 'Suite Madame Blue' must have been with Gowan singing.

12. cgw

cgw Forum Resident

At the time I kind of thought Nugent was slumming with the lightweights. (again - all I know is what I heard on the radio) My opinon of the Nug has changed a bit since then.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  13. Judge Judy

My take on seeing that he had become a member of Damn Yankees was, "Oh, he must not be out of bankruptcy yet."

GodShifter likes this.
  14. PDK

PDK Forum Resident

What are you talking about? You were the one implying a few posts back that JY had been traumatized a few posts back. That implies a lot of knowledge on the evil DDY as well as the victimized but extremely talented JY. Then attempting to be the voice of reason that we couldn't hardly make the same type of (yet opposing) assumptions on the situation.

Who's raging?

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I guess the less said about Damn Yankees in this thread, the better.

I do have a question about the current version of Styx now. Chuck Panozzo is still listed as a member, but he doesn't tour with them on a consistent basis does he? As in, he's not playing every show? When he is there, what does he do? Just play bass on a couple of songs? And when he's doing that, what does Ricky Phillips do? Play guitar? It seems to be a weird set up. It almost seems like Chuck has been kept around for 'original member cred' as much as anything else. I know he has HIV, so the touring grind probably doesn't work for his health, but I've always found it odd he's still in the band considering he plays an instrument that is usually not duplicated onstage and because he doesn't play all the shows.

16. mrjinks

I mentioned it once.

Scottb likes this.
  17. Judge Judy

My understanding is that he just does a couple of songs when he performs, almost certainly for the "original member cred" that you mention.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. mrjinks

Check the date: 1991. I was responding to someone who had no recollection of what they played on that tour. I jotted down a setlist at the show...

19. Scottb

Oh OK. I do know that Burtnick was back in the band a few times after 1991.

20. Dennis DeYoung at Walgreens buying some Just For Men?

21. The other guys would say he was more the heel.

22. mrjinks

23. Scottb

Well the other guys are wrong.

24. Scottb

Troll. Stop thread crapping.

MikeInFla and Doggiedogma like this.
  25. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Nope, no out takes other than the "Son of Edge" demos. "While There's Still Time" was on a sampler for Greatest Hits Part 2 but Dennis had it pulled from the album. Wanted to save it for a studio album so it's on BNW. It Takes Love from GH2 is the same demo w Tommt thrown in doing background vocals. Burtnik is on the song as well John P. So it's the only track to have both Panozzos, DDY, Shaw, JY & Burtnik.

Unfortunately no outtakes from the Wooden Nickel days. Dennis stated at one time he wanted to remix some of the Wooden Nickel stuff but the master tapes are gone. So if the Masters are gone I doubt there are any leftovers but they have said for years there just weren't any. Several songs rejected by the band have ended up on solo albums. Chain Me Down was rejected for Grand Illusion and appeared on JY's City Slicker album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.