Dennis Wilson-Pacific Ocean Blue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan

Dan Senior Member Thread Starter

I'd love to see someone like S&P release this album CD. I keep finding references by artists and how influential it is to them.

I'd rather wait a bit rather than pay $30+ for vinyl. Anyone know why it hasn't been re-released?

2. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

I've got the LP which to be honest I haven't listened to for probably 20 years!

It's very similar in style to the material Dennis wrote for the Holland and Carl and the Passions albums, particularly the latter.

Whilst it's quite nice, in my opinion it has been a little over-rated since Dennis died.

3. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Pacific Ocean Blue

Guys, this Lp HAS been released on Cd, I have it.

4. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

The POB CD was released along with the Beach Boys Caribou/Epic CDs in the '80s. Apparently, there are significant rights issues that complicate attempts to reissue the album. I think that it's a fine album. The CD usually goes for $100+ on eBay.

Jay

5. Dan

I would think that this album would be owned by the Beach Boys imprint Brother Records, as all of the Caribou/CBS stuff seems to be now. Maybe it has to do with Dennis' estate?

6. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Hal Blaine

Another thing about this LP is that its the last "Name Artist" Lp to feature Hal Blaine on Drums.

Hal did the David Grisman LP in the 80s, and some studio work for Snuffy Garrett, but POB was the last biggie.

Hal may or may not credited on the Lp, but he IS the Drummer.

7. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Dan,

That may well be the problem. I can't recall exactly anymore, but I have heard that several labels have expressed interest in a reissue, only to be scared away by these problems.

Jay

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Even though it was remastered and released on CD at the same time as the Beach Boys Brother/Reprise/Caribou catalogue, from what I understand the tapes are owned by Sony not the Beach Boys. It clearly says (p) 1977 Sony Music Entertainment Inc. not Brother Records Inc. like the other discs.

9. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

Re: Hal Blaine

Yes, Hal is creditied on the CD. I'm not sure about the LP....

10. vinylrec

vinylrec Senior Member

It sure does! I was under the impression that Brother Records owned the rights.

:confused:

11. Dan

If Sony does own the tapes you would think that they would release it, or at least give someone like Bob Irwin at Sundazed a crack. He seems to have good access at Sony.

12. Dan

I got a response from Sundazed regarding the album. It kind of tells us what we already know;

"Thanks for your kind words and suggestion. We would love to put it out, but the ownership of that album has long been in question, and there is litigation that surrounds the possible re-release. Anyway, thanks for your support and we will keep you posted as to any change regarding that album."

13. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Re: Pacific Ocean Blue

Yes, it came out on CD around 1990, I believe, mastered by Joe Gastwirt. I didn't keep it for long, it lacked all the thunderous low bass that my Canadian Caribou/CBS LP has.

I have always found this a fascinating and adventurous album, sonically and musically, although Dennis sounds like he's OD'ing on valium or 'ludes. Maybe that adds to the charm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.