Denny Laine "Band on the Run" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somnar

somnar Senior Member

There's a much longer video out there where he talks about the whole thing - pretty out there. Ironic as McCartney has singled out English as being one former Wings members who he liked the most.

2. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

even better if Macca showed up himself, he has ties in Syracuse..Wouldn't have been too far fetched, he has shown up here randomly from time to time

3. paulewalnutz

paulewalnutz Forum Resident

I saw him a couple weeks ago in a super intimate venue. He was gracious to all of us in the club & his show was a lot of fun. Go Now was my favorite performance.

4. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Denny's still got it and is a heck of a nice dude, to boot.

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Saw the show Sunday night and it was fine - not the most entertaining show ever, but about what I expected.

Couldn't complain about the view - I was about 3 feet from Denny the whole show!

[​IMG]

Shak Cohen, Yorick, fishcane and 2 others like this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oh, and Denny did do a meet and greet afterwards. After some internal debate, I brought my "Wings Over America" program to be signed:

[​IMG]

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Very nice! Good on you for bringing that. :D

Oatsdad and zen like this.
  8. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Denny's the best. Great performer and super cool too. I've been lucky to see him several times in the last few years and each time is a real treat!

9. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Denny was Wings' "John".

10. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

I was astounded at how strong his vocals were at BB King's last night. Stronger than I've ever seen him (since the 90s). His guitar playing was quite tasty too. He seems to be going the extra mile these days.

mr._mojo_filter and Mr. Explorer like this.
  11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Mike Pinder?

12. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

He was about to release a cd of new music a few years ago, he had clips of the new songs on his website and it sounded great ( not DIY) but sadly it never got released.

13. Oatsdad

It only dawned on me that it'd be a good item to sign at the last minute. I originally planned to bring the case for the "WOA" deluxe or one of that set's books, but then I remembered I had the copy of the "WOA" program - generously given to me by a forum member years ago - and it seemed like the best choice.

Denny didn't seem very interested in it, though. His guitarist was at the table and he seemed to think it was cool, but Denny appeared less than enthused.

Maybe he was just sick of seeing me after having me three feet from him all night! :D

14. Oatsdad

No - there was no "John" in Wings. Denny played a relatively minor role in the evolution of Wings - comparing his role to John's is an enormous, unrealistic stretch...

mr._mojo_filter likes this.
  15. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

I disagree. He was Paul's John in Wings.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  16. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Good catch, meant Mike Pender of the Searchers.

melstapler likes this.
  17. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I've always wondered how many times Mike Pinder has been confused with Mike Pender? The fact they're both British rock royalty certainly doesn't help either.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Mike Pinder would have been cool, old Moody Blues bandmates...

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

A guy that Paul hired and fired and who in between did whatever Paul asked is not his John. Closest thing Paul had to a John post Beatles was Elvis Costello, for the short while that lasted.

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Is he playing "Say You Don't Mind" on this tour?

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Oat's got a point or two, though- Paul may have intended Denny to be like a "John" in Wings (although truth be told the closest thing to a "John" in Wings was probably Linda) but other than his vocal abilities Denny Laine really didn't play much of a role in Wings' evolution, certainly not on a musical level. That was one of the most surprising things I found reading forum member @backseat 's book on McCartney's recording sessions- just how little Denny contributed musically to the band in the studio beyond vocals and harmonies. I mean, for one thing, for a guy Paul hired to play guitar, Laine probably played more bass or even keyboards on the records (when Paul was otherwise occupied with guitar himself or keyboards) than guitar. Certainly, Denny brought more to the table when it came to live performance but in the studio he mainly contributed to the vocals and that was about it. Hell, even in spite of having a designated lead guitarist and drummer in Wings (Band On The Run and the later London Town sessions aside of course), Paul still managed to play his share of lead guitar and drums on the Wings records as well. Really, the idea of anybody other than Linda being Paul's equal partner in Wings is pretty laughable- Paul called the shots, period, and all you have to do is ask Henry McCullough how it worked out for him if you tried going against the grain. No question, the other members of Wings besides Paul and Linda were merely sidemen, and that included Denny Laine. I do think Laine did try to delude himself a bit for a while there thinking that he was an equal partner, but sort of found out the hard way that he wasn't.

Paul McCartney had only one "John" figure in his career and that was John Lennon. Not Denny Laine, not Eric Stewart or Hamish Stuart, not even Elvis Costello, even if Paul did say working with Costello reminded of him of working with Lennon. Matter of fact, I'd be brazen to say Paul would probably be insulted if someone even suggested Denny Laine (or any of those other guys) was a "substitute John".

22. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I would love to hear McCartney talk more about his collaboration with Denny Laine. He is hardly mentioned in "Wingspan". It seems like they rubbed each other the wrong way in the early 80s and McCartney kind of blocked him out. I don't know. The McCartney/Laine decade is very interesting. I consider it McCartney's most important collaboration after The Beatles. They wrote "Mull of Kintyre" together. One of his biggest hits with or without The Beatles. "Band on the Run" is all the McCartney's & Laine.

23. Coppertop Tester

Coppertop Tester Forum Resident

I've seen four of his shows over the past few years and he sang it at every one.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  24. Ettan

Ettan Forum Resident

Do you know who John was?

Rfreeman likes this.
  25. Yorick

Yorick Senior Member

"Denny is Wings, we're his messengers.", Paul McCartney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.