Denny Laine "Band on the Run" Tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, May 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Maybe Denny was a "3rd rate" John Lennon. Nonetheless, I still assert that he was the John in Wings. His role in Wings was comparable to that of John in the Beatles.

2. Baba Oh Really

That's okay. I don't have any interest of convincing anybody else of my opinions.

But my opinion hasn't changed: Denny was the "John" of Wings.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

When someone argues that Denny was "John in Wing
    It's times like these that I realize I'm attempting to have a discussion with someone who thinks "Face Dances" is the best Who album and that supernatural children stalk his house.

And I wonder where my life went so wrong... :help:

4. Ricardo Cosinaro

Ricardo Cosinaro Forum Resident

Denny played a small venue in Atlanta a few months ago. After the show he did a "Meet & Greet" but wound up sitting at my table talking about the Moodys, Wings, etc. for nearly an hour. He autographed a copy of the first Moodys album for me and was cool with taking photos with me, my son and my wife. A very gracious man!

theMess, Zeki, No Bull and 2 others like this.
  5. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

Denny was a tremendously important part of Wings. The most identifiable part of the Wings sound was the harmonies of Paul, Denny and Linda. Of course Paul was the leader (duh).

6. Baba Oh Really

I just don't see why you're getting so bent out of shape over that fact that I, personally, think that Denny filled the role of John in Wings. I have not at all mandated that you or anybody else agree with me, I simply stated my opinion and yet you seem to be completely flipping your wig over this.

Zeki and elgoodo like this.
  7. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

What can I say...I try:laugh:
    Wouldn't surprise me if Paul did say -or at least think- something like that. He was clearly looking for journeyman-type musicians who would tow the McCartney line and not be a threat.
    That is exactly what it was:righton:. Even when Paul tried throwing a bone and making Wings more "democratic" on Venus And Mars and Speed Of Sound I doubt he was fooling anybody- it was still and always would be the Paul McCartney Show.
    No question, Laine's contribution to the vocals was his main contribution. Beyond that, though, he didn't really distinguish himself instrumentally at all. Even on Wings Over America I have to sort of strain to hear Denny's guitar playing, which is really nothing special. Jimmy McCulloch definitely was doing all the heavy lifting there.

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

That's not really fair. First, he's playing bass on a lot of that, and then there's the whole acoustic side. That adds up to about 14 songs , so Denny's really only playing electric on about 7 or 8 songs. Plus, Jimmy is the lead player...so he's playing lead. It's not so much one guy doing the heavy lifting and one not, it's more like two guys playing different roles.

Zeki likes this.
  9. elgoodo

elgoodo Forum Resident

I have to say, I agree that his instrumental prowess in Wings was pretty unexceptional. But there were moments at his recent show at BB's that I was impressed with his guitar style. He seems to have developed as a player somewhat in recent years. He took an extended solo at the end of "No Words" that was extremely tasty, and also another one over the extended instrumental vamp of "Let Me Roll It". Lots of fleet fingered stuff, well chosen notes, and not really even derivative of anybody else's particular style that I can think of.

No Bull likes this.
  10. ohnothimagen

This is true...it was the songs he plays electric guitar on I was specifically thinking of, of course. Still, compared to Jimmy and especially compared to the bass guitar (regardless of who's playing it), Laine's electric rhythm guitar is fairly buried in the mix. Which is too bad- I'd like to be able to clearly hear what the hell the guy was playing:laugh:

11. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Forum members, I listened to John Lennon. I knew John Lennon. John Lennon was a friend of mine. Denny Laine, you're no John Lennon!

(special thanks to Lloyd Bentsen)

I all seriousness. Denny was an ultimate bandmate for Paul. He could sing decently, write a fairly decent tune, was a decent guitarist, was a decent bass player... he could do it all. I don't think Denny was great at any one thing...but the man could fill a lot of decent roles in a band. Comparing him in any way shape or form to John Lennon is ****ing ridiculous though. :wantsome:

rogertheshrubber and Oatsdad like this.
  12. ohnothimagen

Except, of course -and I say this at the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy- Denny Laine probably was a better overall musician than John Lennon was:shh::hide:

InStepWithTheStars and No Bull like this.
  13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

probably so.

14. Mamunia

Mamunia Forum Resident

Definitely a better bass player ;)

15. ohnothimagen

No question about it:laugh: I wish I'd never read Ian Macdonald's comments on "The Long And Winding Road" in Revolution In The Head where he outlines all of Lennon's bass mistakes down to the second- I've never heard the studio version of TLAWR the same way since 'cos all those mistakes stick out like a sore thumb now. I've said before Denny Laine shoulda thrown a clam or two into TLAWR when Wings played it just for the sake of continuity...

16. eroz

eroz Forum Resident

How do you define musician? Are singers musicians? Because in that case, John blows Denny out of the water.
    I could see your point, if you only compare their guitar skills. Personally, I prefer John, but I know I'm biased.

17. ohnothimagen

Absolutely, as a vocalist Lennon has the edge over Denny Laine (and IMO just about anybody else in popular music who considers themselves a vocalist) but other than that...

To give John Lennon his due as a guitarist, though, he had a style all his own and actually played some damn good rhythm and lead parts over the years. I don't think I've ever heard a Denny Laine guitar solo, to be honest.

18. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Caught Denny Laine in concert last night, and if his tour comes to your town, it is well worth seeing.
    Besides Wings material like "Mull of Kintyre", "Time To Hide" and "Richard Cory", he played original Moody Blues material "Lose Your Money", "boulevard de la madeline ", "I'll Go Crazy", "Can't Nobody Love You", and of course "Go Now".
    A nice version of "Say You Don't Mind" was also in playlist.
    Even played a snippet of "Nights In White Satin" and Elvis's "that's all right Mama".
    He played some very nice solo acoustic songs also.
    Just a bedrock old time straight ahead rock concert.

Zeki and No Bull like this.
  19. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind McCartney perform "London Town" (the album) live with Denny Laine in the band (and maybe some extra flutists and stuff). But I guess he rarely play with musicians from the past except Ringo.

20. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Saw him a week ago in a "Music In The Park" free gig in a band shell with Peter Asher's anthology show. Bunch of guys hanging out playing hits I had forgotten about. Amazing evening.

Coppertop Tester and No Bull like this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

lolz

Didn't he get the memo that those records were really McCartney records and while Paulie needed a partner, he also needed a partner that wasn't really a "partner" and just someone to make the appearance of a "partner"?

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Was this still a "BotR" album show?

23. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

The only reason Paul McCartney has any fans is because he spent time with His Holiness Saint John W. Lennon, so I don't really understand what you're getting at. :rolleyes:

By that logic, I'm not allowed to like Al Kooper, because he only provided the appearance of a "partner".

Give me a break.

24. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Several songs from that LP were played but I cannot recall it being billed as that.

25. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

It was billed as Denny Laine of Wings and Moody Blues, Wings Over America 40th Anniversary Celebration

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.