Denny Laine on McCartney solo albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by sandmountainslim1, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz Thread Starter

I believe Denny appears on both Tug of War and Pipes of Peace but as far as I know he doesn't make any appearances on any McCartney albums afterwards. Were the bits featuring Denny on these two albums just leftover Wings material or did he actually stick around and work with Paul for a couple years after the group was disbanded?

905 likes this.
  2. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

from what I understand the songs started out in 1980 when Wings were rehearsing and recording for the new album and some of Denny's parts made it on the official release

my source's are Beatlesbible and wikipedia

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
  3. sandmountainslim1

sandmountainslim1 Vicar Of Fonz Thread Starter

Makes sense. Part of me wonders what the new Wings album would have sounded like but another part of me says they were just Paul in the first place :) I don't remember anyone mourning the fact that Wings has broken up at the time, I guess it was because the group was mainly seen as just Paul.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  4. Denny went down with Paul to work on "Tug of War" with George Martin (Martin had no interest in making a Wings album). The parts were not meant for a Wings album. Paul worked on tracks for both "Tug of War" and "Pipes of Peace" during the same long sessions. None of the recording that was released was ever intended for a Wings release. It was all solo Paul.

Some of this confusion is because Paul DID work on "Cold Cuts" the Wings unreleased album in October the month before Paul flew to the Bahamas to work with Martin.

sandmountainslim1 and 905 like this.
  5. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Many of the tracks on Pipes Of Peace and Tug Of War were begun being recorded before the Wings split became official in April of 1981. Denny's contributions were done between Feb and Mar of that year and before.

sandmountainslim1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.