Denon 2900, Onkyo SP 800, or Integra DPS-8.3

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Lawrence Schulman, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence Schulman

Lawrence Schulman Senior Member Thread Starter

Which is the best unit? :confused:

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Also, does the Denon 2900 have a seperate non-PCM D/A for DSD, or does it just "dump" DSD data into PCM before converting to analog?

I'll also add another "universal" disc player to this list - Marantz 8400. How does it compare? I understand it DOES NOT "dump" DSD to PCM before converting to analog, but actually does do "straight" D/A conversion from DSD to analog.

3. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

According to Denon's website the 2900 does not convert the DSD signal to PCM.Wish it would record DVD but it sounds like it does everything else.I'm waiting to see the reviews on it.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Most people who have tried the Denon 2900 have liked it. I notice a few people recvd defective units at first but Denon should have cleaned up its act by this time.

It is excellent on video/ sacd and dvda. No complaints there.

I'll end up getting one myself sooner or later.

5. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Thanks! I was worried about the DSD conversion with the Denon, since I only saw a 24/96 converter for audio listed and no mention of a DSD D/A for the 2900.

6. Lawrence Schulman

Tell me more...

Dear John,

You say a few people received defective units of the Denon 2900. Can you tell me more? Let me explain. I purchased the Denon about five weeks ago. When I did the audio setup through the Denon itself, and not through the receiver, I got sound out of all the speakers, except the subwoofer. When I had done the audio setup through the receiver (a Technics), there was clear sound coming from all speakers, including the sub. I was on the phone for great lengths of time with the curteous people of Denon and Crutchfield, the dealer I bought it from, and in the end we simply couldn't get sound in the sub out of the Denon. In the end, Crutchfield sent me a second unit, I redid the audio setup, and unfortunately once again there was no sound coming out of the sub. I have now sent both units back. I would like to buy a player that takes both DVD-A and SACD (I am tired of this little war), and the Denon, Integra and Onkyo are the only companies that produce such players. In my heart of heart, I believe Denon has the best reputation, but feel it is something of a risk to order a third unit, hoping for the best.

Can you tell me if other people have had my problem? And if so, did they reorder the Denon 2900 and get a unit that performed correctly?

Your information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

LARRY SCHULMAN

7. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Apparently thats a quirk with the Denon. Many people have discovered that you can't go by the Denon test-tones (theres a flaw) and its better to just trust the Recievers test tones or a Demo disc.

For more details about the Denon 2900, go to the AVS Forum and look under DVD Hardware. They go into great detail about the Denon 2900.

I've read the for some people the DVDA would sound good but no SACD. Others complained about Bass Management. Other it was what you describe, an inability to use the Denon's test-tones.

One reason I have waited til the smoke clears.

I believe as long as the DVD player works and the player plays DVDA's/ CD's and SACD's, the player is fine.
    The BM problem is over-blown and the test-tone problem is not that bad, just don't rely on the Denon's test-tones.

8. Lawrence Schulman

The trouble is.............just as there is no test tone from the sub, when you play a DVD-A or SACD there is a total lack of bass from the sub.

I have now done the following: I have now, believe it or not, reordered the Denon 2900 from Crutchfield, who is going to test the unit before sending it to me.

I just don't know what to think any more.

:help:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.