Denon 2900

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Terry, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry

Terry Senior Member Thread Starter

I love this universal player; however, I have a question for those who also own this: when you play a CD, do you utilize the DVD setting or the Multi-Channel setting that recognizes two channel? Thanks.

2. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

No settings are made when playing a CD. You just put it in and it plays it. I've had the machine for a year now.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

If you wish to listen too stereo only, chose stereo.
    If you'd like the player to default too a multi, than set it for multi.
    Note; in multi mode, if the disk lacks a multi track, the unit will play the two channel tracks.

4. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

There are no settings you can change to affect CD playback. Like ubsman said you just put it in and it plays. You can turn the bass enhancer on if you would like the low frequencies from 2 channel CD and SACD to be sent to your sub. Changing settings in the Multi-channel section would only affect the playback of Multi-Channel SACD's, DVD-Audio, and DVD-Video.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Prices for the 2900 have dropped a lot since the introduction of the Denon 3910. You can now get them for about $650 - $700 ($300 savings). I could not resist the price.

6. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

I think what Terry's asking is is one set of analog outs of higher quality or preferrable to the other. I don't think that's the case with this player.

I don't normally use mine for redbook, but I did just experiment and hear absolutely no difference between the F1 and F2 jacks.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I've only used the dedicated stereo analog outputs on my '2900.

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Honestly, I can't recall playing a CD on mine. I've played 2-channel SA-CD's plenty of times. I think if you have smallish speakers that rely on BM, I'd input the sound into the head unit some way other than the 6-channel input, proably, depending on the other stuff. 2 channel analog or digital coaxial would be my choice dependin'...

9. Terry

Terry Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks one and all for your fine insights; however, I have yet another question. I played my new Joni Mitchell greatest hits CD that came out Tuesday, and several of the songs are clipped. i.e. I'm missing the first second of three songs. At first I thought it was the disc, but then I played it on a boom box, and then the missing seconds appeared.

Is there anyway to program this player so it won't cheat me out of the beginning second?

Thanks.

10. KeithH

Is this the only CD you have observed dropouts with on the '2900? I haven't used my '2900 extensively with CDs, but I have not observed dropouts. That seems odd. Are you hearing a relay click at the start of each track? If so, that could cause a dropout, I suppose. If this is the problem, I see no way around it.

I just had another thought. Is there a natural break before the start of each of the three songs where you hear the dropout or do these songs segue from the previous song (i.e., continue without a break)? If one song runs into the next and the player exhibits a relay click between tracks, you may experience a temporary dropout as the player switches from one track to the next. There is no way around that.

11. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Terry:
    I got a 2900 when they first came out and the first one I had was defective. CD played fine. DVD-A played fine. SACD's did not. During SACD playback there were clicks and pops randomly. I don't think this is is the same problem, but it could have a similar cause. I took my unit back and exchanged it and everything has worked fine on the new one.
    Also there have been a few firmware releases that update the unit. You can find the update here: http://www.audioholics.com/firmware/
    If you have a CD burner and blank CD-R you can update your unit to the latest version. Make sure you follow all the directions exactly. REMEMBER that you update your unit at your own RISK.

12. KeithH

I have had no playback issues of any sort with my '2900. However, is there an easy to check the firmware to see if I have a "good" version? Also, can one tell from the build date whether the player is a "good" one?

13. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Well first of all I don't think there is a bad version of the firmware. There's newer versions that come out that fix known issues and issues that come up with software. For example the newest 2900 firmware fixed the Alien - Directors Cut' dts sound from stuttering and freezing during playback.

Terry: I also had another idea regarding your probelms. Are you listening to CD playback through a digital connection(COAX, or Optical) or throught the analgue outs?
    If your using the digital connection the problem could possibly be with your reciever not recieving the digital data correctly. This is just another guess but....

Check this thread for a ton of info on firmware:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=385490&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
    Please note that they talk mostly about the 5900 there because it's kinda messed up. The 2900 is good though.

I took this off the above forum:
    "Chances are it will not have the latest "S" version.

With the unit turned OFF (not stand-by), hold down Play and Open/Close buttons on front panel and engage power switch. Release buttons when front panel display says something. Then press Menu on remote to cycle display readout. Check BE version number. If last letter is before S then you don't have the latest."

While looking at your DVD player display hit menu to cycle through
    When I checked mine after I updated it says:

B/E 6237W
    PANEL 6236
    DRV 030827

It's possible that after updating(If you need to BTW. Depends on how new your unit is)
    that your numbers will be slightly different than mine. The important thing to note here is that the B/E 6237W last letter on this reading is S or after. Mine is W which of course is after S.

Okay I hope I haven't confused more than I've helped.

14. KeithH

hdsemaj, thanks for the info. on checking firmware. Here's what my '2900 shows:

DRV 030827
    B/E 6327U
    PANEL 6236K

I guess I'm O.K. :)

15. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

Hey no problem. I was anxious to update mine because of the sound problems with Alien. Plus it's really easy to update which is awesome.

16. Jason Brown

Crap, I got a P. So by your analysis...wait, let me start over.

Mine says B/E 6237P. I neglected to check before because I already obtained an update disc from Denon, but I guess it's been a while.

I downloaded both files, but my computer didn't want to open them without me telling it what program created it. How the hell do I know what program created it? Oh well. I don't know what the chances of me playing the Alien Director's Cut or Dianna Krall are anyway.

17. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Yikes! Mine says DRV 030307 B/E 6237 PANEL 6236
    Must be a real junker then, huh? No letter at all after the 6237.

18. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

haha like I said I don't think there is a bad version of firmware there's just newer versions available. If you have no problems with yours and don't plan on watching Alien directors cut updating may not be necessary. The good new it's really easy to update. Up to you...

19. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Well I do have a REM disc that freezes momentarily on the song "Stand". So how do I update? Can i order a disk from Denon? I don't have any dvd writer, cd writer, or any of that fancy computer stuff.

20. Jason Brown

21. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

jason brown,
    worked great.. even sent the fax already.. don't need no stinking printer

thanks

p.s. if you want to borrow the disk (after it shows up) let me know, we apparently live nearby

22. Jason Brown

Thanks, man. I was going to ask...:)

23. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

ummmm....you guys don't need to send a fax to get the firmware. You can if you want or you can just go and download it from the link I posted up above and burn it to cdr. Here's the link again:
    http://www.audioholics.com/firmware/

24. Jason Brown

Ummm....no, we cant.

25. KeithH

I remember you saying that if you download the update from the audioholics.com link to a CD-R and then load it to the player, you are doing it at your own risk. That makes sense. However, if you get the CD or CD-R from Denon directly and something goes wrong in loading it to the player, are you covered by Denon (assuming the player is under warranty)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.