Denon DL-110... disappointing and frustrating

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by violarules, Oct 11, 2017.

1. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

What's your budget? It would need to be LOMC capable which means it has to have the increased gain, preferably adjustable, for a LOMC and should have adjustable ohms loading capabilities to match the needs of the cartridge. I use a Jolida JD9 which is very adjustable, has a ton of gain, and has two 12AX7 tubes that can be rolled to further modify the sound to your liking. There are many very good phono stages out there for any budget. Check out the used market and save yourself a lot of money.

Chris Schoen likes this.
  2. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Try Audio Technica VM540ML. Like the AT-440, just as lively, but flatter response.

Kiko1974 likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Yeah, I'm leaning that way. :righton:

4. Arliss Renwick

Arliss Renwick Forum Resident

I was surprised at how little difference it seemed to make on my amp, plugged into the (MM) phono preamp. I only needed to increase gain a minor amount to match my previous MM cart - I expected there to be a greater difference in output. A nice surprise!

5. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Did you experience static problems as a result of the mc magnet? I’m having problems like this now where my new DenonDL-110. My records are coming up along with my deerhide mat. Never had this problem before.

6. LitHum05

So, the problem I’m facing now is static. Does anyone know if this has to do with improper installation? I really do like the sound but the static is making my leather mat stick to the record. Frustrating indeed.

7. Chris Schoen

Try gently wiping your deerhide mat with a used anti-stat dryer sheet.

LitHum05 likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I noticed an increase in static with leather mats, but I'd imagine that an increase in stylus drag/friction would also might also cause static.

I much prefer the rubber/cork composite mats, both for static reduction and SQ.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  9. LitHum05

Before each play? Gosh, I never had this problem with my former mm cart.

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Just curious - why do you connect the static you are experiencing with the MC cartridge and specifically the DL110, what do you think is happening?

11. Chris Schoen

Got to do what you got to do.

LitHum05 likes this.
  12. LitHum05

That’s what I’m trying to figure out. I have a Denon DP-1100 matched to a Denon DL-110 and I get static. I was formerly using a AT95e and no static. I’m wondering if the MC magnet has something to do with the problem.

13. LitHum05

So you think it’s not an installation problem? My former cart (AT95e) worked perfectly.

14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Hmmm.... first, I've never been in a situation where I was static wiping before every LP play, and I live in AZ. (static capital of the US) Static can happen, you address it once in a while if it gets bad, there are many threads on how to do that.

That level of static problem where I had to wipe before every LP would drive me nuts, there is something else going on there... but as far the DL-110 being the root cause of your static issue? :confused:

My mind is open, and all ears on this one... but I'd be surprised.

15. Chris Schoen

I don't see what the cart. would have to do with a static problem.

16. LitHum05

Yeah. That makes sense. But it’s such a sudden change as soon as I put in the new cart.

17. I got a Denon DL-110 to replace a Denon DL-160 which has been discontinued for some time. My DL-110 failed after only 6 months, it started to develop distorsion on the left channel which increased only after a few days. Denon itself recognized it was defective.
    The seller offered me a new DL-110, which I refused, or a refund, which I took and got an AT VM540ML. I think it's an outstanding cartridge for the prices which sounds much more detailed than either the dicontinued DL-160 or the current DL-110. I've heard details on my very well known records that I hadn't before with either Denons, I love how this cart sounds, when the time comes for a stylus change I will put an original Audio Technica Shibata stylus which will improve the sound of the VM540ML even more.

18. Chris Schoen

I am looking forward to a switch in carts, from a DL-110 to AT-540. (I have had 2 AT440's and now on my 2nd DL-110) It will be interesting to compare needle-drops that I have made
    between these carts. I kind of know what to expect, but this is what is fun about this "hobby". I will "rediscover" my favorite albums with a change to the new cart. It's all good...

Kiko1974 likes this.
  19. Your 100% right, with the AT VM540ML you will rediscover some or all your LP albums.

Albert0 likes this.
  20. Chris Schoen

This is something that is neat about vinyl. The upgrades made to a playback system, cart quality in particular, are noticeable and sometimes actually quite revealing.

21. Put a tube Phono preamp in the equation and you get even more place for tweaking, I love tube rolling!

Chris Schoen likes this.
  22. Chris Schoen

Ya, I play through Heresys, and tubes would be sweet, but that can be a slippery slope. Someday perhaps. My pre-amp was custom made, and is very neutral,"black" quiet. I can't tell the difference between a record and the needle-dropped cd-r. Good synergy.

23. I just replaced a VM540ML with a DL-110 and, to be honest, really can't tell the difference between the two on my PLX-1000 thru a Vincent PHO-701. (Maybe just because these ears have over half-a-century of loud blasting rock and roll mileage on them! :laugh:) I may try to adjust the VTA a bit as well as play with the phono stage loading to see if I can fine tune it a bit more. However, moving the VM540ML to my backup TT (AT LP120) replacing an LP Gear Vessel, at no surprise, a significant improvement in sound, for sure! Its disappointing that this cartridge seems to fail. I've only had mine for a few weeks. I hope it holds up thru time.

TheVinylAddict and Kiko1974 like this.
  24. In what sense does it use to fail? I've had mine since March and it works and sounds great, 10 months of solid and great sound and performance.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  25. Dolemite

Dolemite Forum Resident

This is very much my experience. At times the dl160 was nice, but I stress at times. When I switch to the AT I was blown away with the detail