Denon DP-15F Direct Drive Turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sacsongs, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sacsongs

sacsongs Well-Known Member

Okay, after many years out of the audio market, I discovered this wonderful site. I've been lurking here for some time trying to get up to speed on current terminology in the marketplace. Folks, I am "out of the loop", but it seems like a hospitable place to get up to speed.:wave:

One of the joys I have recently discovered is vinyl. After having lived in the digital domaine for many years, I rediscovered the warmth that resides in the analog world.

I inherited a Denon DP-15F unit. I sounds pretty good, but from LOTS of reading here I am sure there a new vistas available to me now.

What do any of you know about this unit? Should I sink some money into having it looked over and upgrade from the current Grado cartridge? Or, is it better to cut my loses and look at MMF or Rega starter units.

I would love to hear any and all opinions and/or suggestions.

2. The Denon is a good table. I own the similar DP-23F with a Grado ZF3 cartridge. If you have concerns, certainly have it looked over. Seeing as you are in the St. Louis area, I'd recommend Best Sound to look it over--they are (or at least, were) a Denon turntable dealer. I know they are a Pro-ject dealer and I believe they are a Rega dealer, as well.

3. sacsongs

Actually, I think Best Sound is where the unit was originally purchased!

Glad to hear that it should do the trick, at least for awhile. Any suggestions for the next step up from the Grado at this level of turntable?

4. I haven't heard it yet, but the Rega P1 certainly has a nice price for a good quality entry level table ($350 including an Ortofon cartridge). I'm not sure how much of a step up--if any--it is from your Denon, as the Denon tables are pretty solid. One thing to keep in mind with the Rega is that it is a manual table, as opposed to the automatic DP-15F. A Rega P2 or P3 (with the awesome RB250 and RB300 arms) would certainly be an upgrade over the Denon, and are easy recommendations. They are more expensive, though, but easy enough to set up and use.

BTW, I originally purchased my Denon DP-23F from Best Sound too, back in 1988 when they were located on Brentwood Blvd. as opposed to their current Lindbergh location--their former building is now the location of the Galleria parking lot!

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort Staff

You'll find lots of enthusiasm for the Shure M97XE or the AudioTechnica AT440mla around here. If you don't have a nice size vinyl collection yet, and think your Grado might be wearing, perhaps get one of those on that 'table and concentrate on the vinyl :)

6. sacsongs

I actually have a sizeable vinyl collection that has mostly sat in the cabinets for years. I think I would try a new cartridge setup first and see where that takes me.

Thanks for the tips folks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.