Deodato - Prelude & Deodato 2 on Hybrid Multichannel SACD by Dutton Vocalion

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Simon A, Sep 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr! Thread Starter

Just announced is another superb 2fer from the good people of Dutton/Vocalion. The disc features the original Quadraphonic and Stereo mixes of these two albums by Eumir Deodato as released in 1972 and 1973 by CTI Records.

Available for pre-order.

I'm looking forward to hearing these Quadraphonic mixes on SACD.

[​IMG]

2. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I am DEFINITELY IN!!:bdance:

Simon A likes this.
  3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Fantastic! Thanks for the head-up. This is a must-buy for the Quad. The price is right too.

Simon A likes this.
  4. Simon A

A quick word about shipping. In order to offer low shipping prices, Dutton/Vocalion uses a company that has a tendency to be slow. It takes my orders to arrive to my address in Quebec City about five weeks. I know it takes sometimes about three weeks for U.S. addresses, so don't think that your order has been lost or not shipped. I've been buying from them for over ten years and I've always been extremely happy what everything I've purchased from them. In this day and age of Amazon Prime where customers receive their orders 30 seconds after placing them (I exaggerate slightly), it's good to remember that smaller companies cannot offer the same speed of delivery.

All in all, the price and the quality of the products is what is most important I think. :)

So buy with confidence.

5. dkmonroe

I notice that this item is listed on Amazon as "out of stock, we don't know when we'll get it again." Are Dutton/Vocalion discs usually available from Amazon once they're released, or or should I just order it direct and not bother waiting? Or would Amazon offer it for +$25, making it more expensive to buy from them than D/V?

6. Simon A

Dutton/Vocalion only sells directly, which is why you only see most of their titles sold from their Amazon Marketplace store. The titles announced today are available for pre-order but should ship pretty soon. It's always more economical to purchase directly from Dutton/Vocalion.

dkmonroe likes this.
  7. dkmonroe

Thank you! I'm glad I asked! :righton:

I'll just put that thing back in the cart then!

Simon A likes this.
  8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh this is great! Deodato 2 is actually my favorites and although I have the album in quad, I've never heard it, so this is wonderful!

Curious, who owns the 1970's CTI catalog now; I'm wondering if D-V has their sights set on any of the others in that stable.

9. Simon A

I'm under the impression that Sony bought the CTI catalog. I could be wrong.

10. Sidewinder43

Sidewinder43 Forum Resident

Awesome. Two of my all time favorites.

Simon A likes this.
  11. Dillydipper

Here - lemme make it easy for you, to remember why you need these...

Feel free to crank this - is the squirrels outside aren't dancin', you've got it on too soft.

Simon A likes this.
  12. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Day. One. Purchase.

Simon A likes this.
  13. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I'm in on this. Loved the Santana and Return to Forever titles. I bought those from Amazon marketplace. DG has a store there. I just do it that way because it's one click and I don't have to enter my whole life into another store. What's a couple bucks?

Simon A likes this.
  14. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well naturally, this is great news for DEODATO fans! These first few albums are not my personal favorites, that would go to his "Very Together" (MCA) and "Love Island" (Warner Bros.) albums.

With that said, I applaud Dutton/Vocalion for continuing with these QUAD SACD reissues, especially as Simon A said, for the great price for these. If they are indeed in the SONY/RCA vaults and are reading this thread, then PLEASE consider a two-fer QUAD SACD of Jose Feliciano ("Feliciano!" and "Compartments") and Art Garfunkel ("Angel Claire" and "Breakaway")!!!

Jimijam and Simon A like this.
  15. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

Going 'round the world, the CTI catalog has been handled by all majors but EMI/Capitol group. At present time i'm more inclined in the second question, getting Airto or Don Sebsky from that vault, whatever the owner...

Simon A likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

Chris, I hope you didn't miss this, but Artie is already in quad from Dutton-Vocalion, appearing on the soundtrack for Watership Down, the wonderful Richard Williams treatment of Richard Adams' book about bunnies. "Bright Eyes", might not exactly the single mix released for radio, it's still one of those marvelously chilling moments in the movie and story, not sugar-coated for bedtime reading.

All the world will be your enemy, Prince With A Thousand Enemies. And whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first, they must catch you!

17. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

Just ordered. Very excited to hear these in quad.

Simon A likes this.
  18. raphph

Listening this very morning to both albums as it arrived last week. Joyous. And I hadn’t even checked out the surround yet.

Jimijam, Simon A and Juggsnelson like this.
  19. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

Hopefully my package of the new releases shows up on my doorstep in the next few days! My only quibble with Dutton Vocalion is the lack of a "shipped" email to alert you as to when you will be receiving your items. That's a minor complaint though as the product to this point has been excellent!

20. raphph

Agreed - I had no idea it had been released - it just turned up!

Juggsnelson likes this.
  21. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

The same here. I had to email them to ask if it had shipped. I ordered 3 weeks ago.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  22. dkmonroe

Just opened my copy and am spinning the delightful QUAD mix! Truly masterful. Whoever mixed this knew what the hell they were doing. :)

Jimijam, bodhisattva and Simon A like this.
  23. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

The quad mixes for these two albums were done by Creed Taylor and Rudy Van Gelder. The quad mix for Prelude was a bit of a retrofit - the stereo version was mixed sometime in late '72, and the quad mix was done in the spring of '73, but starting in the early part of that year they started simultaneously mixing most (or possibly all) of their new releases for quad at the same time they did the stereo mixes. I believe the SQ quad mix of Prelude actually replaced the original stereo mix on LP once it was released, and that there was no dedicated stereo mix of Deodato 2 at all - I think all copies of Deodato 2 are single-inventory SQ quad. The easy way to check is to look at the LP labels - quad mixes have the catalog number 'RVG SQ <catalog number>' whereas normal stereo mixes just have 'RVG <catalog number>'.

Creed Taylor was (and apparently still is) a big quad fan, there was an interview on the JazzWax website (which seems to be gone now) with him from a few years back where he talked about how much he enjoyed mixing in quad. It's a shame that CTI's financial problems curtailed their quad program so quickly because everything they released in quad is fantastic.

[​IMG]

24. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Weird. Their website says "SACD hybrid STEREO" on this title.

25. bodhisattva

bodhisattva Senior Member

Just a listing mistake, it's definitely quad/multichannel. I'll let them know so they can correct it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.