deoxit...D5 then fader lube?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Domnech Smith, Jan 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Domnech Smith

Domnech Smith New Member Thread Starter

Am going to attempt to clean my receiver this wknd and just ordered some Dexoit products from ebay. D5, Gold, and Shield. Now...after looking at a a staggering amount of do's and don't regarding deoxit my main objective is cleaning the posts..mainly my loudness button. People are saying don't use D5 on faders and plastic ect...because it is corrosive. Some say use it on everything sparingly. Some say onlyuse Faderlube product by Dexoit on pots and plastic parts..my question is has any used D5 on pots then Gold for protection and lubrication with no problems? Or should I buy Faderlube and just use that on the pots!?

2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Depends on your pot type

Faderlube is a good product but is primarily intended for plastic; I have "fixed" many a remote control with it

Some people like to use it as follow up behind the red stuff (on carbon pots and the like); I think it's a waste of time and money

They are worrying about damaging the carbon tracks on pots that are probably worn out to begin with. One shot of DeOxit is NOT going to destroy or damage a carbon pot, but drenching it in the stuff just might

DeOxit is not corrosive but can over clean controls at times and make them feel a little rough

After much experimentation (and wasted DeOxit) this is what I do

Clean the pot or switch well with 99% isopropyl alcohol, flush it or immerse it if possible

Get it good and dry

Give the pot or switch ONE quick shot of the Caig and work the control

You should be done; if you still have problems repeat

For switches that employ all metal contacts any good tuner/contact cleaner containing petroleum solvents is good, like MG Chemicals control cleaner or similar. Don't get bent out of shape worrying over which one, or what everybody else in the world thinks

For noisy pots it's the good flush that helps rid the wiper's path of tiny debris and isopropyl is a hell of a lot cheaper than Caig DeOxit

So I repeat; do the heavy lifting with the alcohol and then treat the moving parts with a bit of the Caig applied SPARINGLY

If you wet a carbon pot with anything it will improve performance briefly; the trick is to actually get the thing CLEAN for the "fix" to take

msg likes this.
  3. Domnech Smith

Domnech Smith New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.