Depeche Mode full catalog on 180g vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rebeljeff, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rebeljeff

rebeljeff Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

I'm a bit puzzled by this. AFAIK, all of Depeche Mode's albums have been available on 180g vinyl since 2007 from both Mute and Rhino.

mooseman, Volt-and-Volume and c-eling like this.
  3. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Interesting news.
    Will be interesting to know how these sound compared to anything other thats available.
    I only have the albums on cd and currently only one vinyl, so this reissue-campaign might be good for me.

4. rebeljeff

Yeah me too... I'm just confused b/c the 2007 Rhinos are still super available... like everywhere. Was about to buy a couple when I heard about this new campaign.

5. Robert James

Robert James Forum Resident

Add me to the list of people genuinely confused here...

6. dint10

dint10 Forum Resident

A little odd.

7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Again! Whoop-uh-dee-doo!!

8. Blue Collar Man

Blue Collar Man Active Member

I remember looking for a couple of them last month and they weren't available. Now I can pick them up.

:shrug:

9. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

These are represses of the vinyl issues they did a few years ago. I have the Music for the Masses lp and it is super quiet and flat. Very worth it for the money. Bull Moose had them for around $18 a pop.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

The interesting one will be "Playing The Angel" since the vinyl mastering on this album is widely considered to be superior to the standart CD. Will the new edition contain the same or a new mastering?

12. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

It would be nice with "corrected" remasters.

A Broken Frame - "Satellite" - Intro missing 1st note
    Violator - "Personal Jesus" - Incorrect samples at 3:23-3:25
    Ultra - "Uselink" - Intro missing first 10 seconds

But I suppose these will just be plain reissues - just as the BluSpec CD's.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Are you sure about Satellite? I thought the missing note was a problem with the original 80's CD release, not the remasters. I have the 2007 UK vinyl and it sounds right to me, although I no longer have the original so I can't be 100%.

14. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I wish they would redo Ultra as a double LP, but it looks like the reissue will be a single disc, same as ever.

Devotional likes this.
  15. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

Funny you should bring that up, and sorry for reposting on autopilot. I've got the first EU SACD, and "Satellite" definitely omit the first note of the song (opening with three notes in a row, instead of four). You can even hear it on Youtube here:

The SACD layer on the and the 5.1 Surround Sound/DTS versions on the DVD do play the song correctly, so the problem has been with the redbook layer. But - following your post I went to Spotify to check out the new BMG repress, and that is the correct version. Interesting! So I suppose corrected CD's are out there already.

I haven't got a turntable at the moment, but it would be logical that your LP - taken from the hi-res source will play the correct version, and that these new reissues will too. So that's one out of the way.

16. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

This is helpful because all the LPs went OOP and weren't very easy to find all the time stateside.
    The biggest news is the PTA re-release, as the LP is the ONLY way to hear the album without your ears bleeding. I've wanted the LP for years simply to hear one of DM's best albums without cringing. A simple port of the original LP would be a godsend.

I'm not really into digital remaster ports to vinyl, as I could simply go for the SACD/DVD and get a better resolution source. While I'm going through the back catalogue for the first time, I've been going with original stock CDs and US LPs which really sound good and not as if they needed remastering.

mooseman likes this.
  17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Did anyone buy the first four reissues today? I"m curious to hear some reviews on here before I invest, having already bought DM's catalog 3x already (just not on vinyl!).

18. spintheblack72

spintheblack72 Forum Resident

MOV are always releasing albums that have been easily available, they did it with Broken Bells debut as well.

Got these when they were reissued originally from Construction Time Again right up to Exciter, bought PTA when it first came out.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

This is fantastic news. To correct the folks up above, the last set of vinyl reissues have not been readily available for the last couple of years. I'm really surprised at you guys, to be honest. This is how it was always done in the old days. When stuff in the pipeline started drying up, records went back to press.

It was called "keeping records in print" and it was standard for decades.

Now let's see that Cure catalogue, Rhino. The Kiss Me x 3 RSD release was one hell of a teaser . . . .

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    jimhb and Blue Collar Man like this.
  20. rebeljeff

Well I stand corrected. I just knew that in my VERY short time of buying vinyl (what's it been.... A month?) I've seen several copies of the 2007 Rhino versions of Some Great Reward and Ultra and just assumed that they were all pretty readily available. Must be some of the other ones that are harder to come by.

21. rebeljeff

I did pick up Some Great Reward and Music for the Masses today. Haven't listened yet tho. Of course I wouldn't put much stock in my opinion anyway given, again, the VERY short time I've been listening to vinyl.

22. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

US Amazon listed for March 25:
    Construction Time Again
    Violator
    A Broken Frame
    Ultra

But UK Amazon listed more releases (here they are released by Music On Vinyl), but i expect it to be same digital masters that was used for 2006 SACD.
    There are 4 different releases by MoV released on February 3:
    Music For The Masses
    Songs Of Faith and Devotion
    Black Celebration
    Some Great Reward

All UK releases are in Gatefold sleeve and with Insert.

I just dont understand why they releasing different albums? I guess it's the same campaign on re-releasing.

GentleSenator likes this.
  23. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

24. gubarenko

gubarenko Guy From Russia

guess i haven't seen it :( But i'll stick with SACD releases that i own already, and for now i have two box sets of remixes, best and delta on vinyl.

25. ToEhrIsHuman

ToEhrIsHuman Forum Resident

I would much prefer the last two albums being released on 5.1 surround SACDs.

Anonamemouse likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.