Depeche Mode full catalog on 180g vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rebeljeff, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I forgot there are two blues. One of them does have that same label. Weird.

2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I've been listening to the cd/dvd reissue of A Broken Frame.
    It's not just remastered - they've actually re-recorded some of it and it's just awful.
    Awful!
    Is the vinyl reissue the same?

3. Gems-A-Bems

:confused:

Billy Infinity likes this.
  4. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,the blue one was also reissued with "M" logo. Quite scarce but not as pricey as the black one.

5. HiFi Guy 008

Listen to the original cd or lp.
    Then listen to the remastered cd/sacd/dvd.
    They've mentioned that they did "add" some "improvements" and arrogantly "re-recorded" some parts on one of their video interviews (was it the interview included with the cd/dvd remaster)?
    In any case, if you're as familiar with A Broken Frame as I am, you would know on first hearing it. It's not subtle.

I'm searching for the video now on YouTube.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  6. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Are you comparing the original US Sire CD with the remaster? They used for the old Sire CD a longer extended mix for Leave In Silence and added Further Excerpts From: My Secret Garden. The remaster has the original UK track list so that's what you probably mean with "re-recorded" ?

7. HiFi Guy 008

I'm more than a little familiar with A Broken Frame. US, UK, vinyl and cd versions.

Nope. They actually re-recorded and "added" and "deleted" some keyboards to the remaster.

I was all aboard having a new vinyl version - and the remaster aint half bad - but that crap on the cd/dvd remaster killed it for me. It also reaffirmed what they'd said earlier - that A Broken Frame was their least popular release. Too bad, because it's one of my favorites. And sonically, it's the best until Black Celebration. Although Some Great Reward has the most monster bass on the original vinyl pressings.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Not "Master & Servant"

Just when I thought I had gotten over my remaster versus availability thing you're sending me right back. :doh:

c-eling likes this.
  9. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Let me know where you locate added or deleted keyboards on the remaster and i will compare the original/remaster later today. What i can say is that the intro of Satellite was truncated on the first SACD/DVD edition(they fixed that glitch later).

10. HiFi Guy 008

My copy slams on Master And Servant.
    First US Sire pressing. Radio station complained about the bass on this lp and said there was a later re-pressing more polite. BS. I think they were all the same.
    Deadwax:
    Side 1: 1-25194-A-SR-1 Specialty stamp logo, 1-1 Side 2: 1-25194-B-SR-2 Specialty stamp logo, 1-2

11. Gems-A-Bems

I guess it always just seemed anemic and trebely compared to the single mixes.

12. HiFi Guy 008

Yeah, don't they usually? But this was so good I bought another copy.
    In fact, I'd bet a lot of early DM US vinyl releases on Sire are stellar.

13. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

There was also a clear (transparent no color) pressing, UK.

I have both the blue and the clear, and I think that the clear one is much rarer than the blue.

14. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

So, has anybody done proper comparison between 2007, 2014 and 2016 vinyl-editions?
    I haven't followed this thread too closely, but from some early comments I assumed that these would sound about the same.
    I have the full set of studio-albums on vinyl and cd, on vinyl the 2014 editions (there might be few 2007 pressings also, can't recall if there were any) and to me they sound really good and Im happy with them.
    I also have all the albums on remastered cd+dvd-sets, some earlier editions aswell, but I haven't collected more editions of the same albums as Im pretty happy with how the remasters sound on cd.
    Are the remasters inferior in anyways compared to original or earlier pressings on cd?

15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Of course it is but we were talking about Intercord releases. The german blue one is not rare at all as 99% Intercord releases of MFTM came with this color. The clear UK one is quite rare but certainly not as rare as the 1993 Intercord black vinyl reissue.

Luca likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I haven't noticed any differences off hand on the A Broken Frame SACD/Deluxe except 'The Sun and The Rainfall' is indexed differently (Adds the wind effect found on the end of 'Shouldn't of Done That', I need to revisit it
    US Sire
    Some Great Reward, I'll mirror Hi-Fi's opinion
    Black Celebration, SH-3, SH-4 Allied , on my set-up it's very warm, I think I prefer the 1986 WG compact disc for this one
    Construction, The US Sheffield, plenty of bass, nice EQ
    A Broken Frame, JW, Same as Construction, enjoyable
    Music for The Masses, SH-2 Brian Gardner, Sounds like a US compact disc dupe, Still looking for a good sounding edition of this album
    Pro-A 5192, Pro-A 5242, Nice EQ, great bass, more than likely a 44 put to wax

17. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's not as if vintage The Cure or DM vinyl wasn't readily available. At least the 80's stuff. Some people actually prefer fresh, new vinyl.

DM has a crazy collectors scene. Really insane, so rare versions of even the most standard DM stuff still fetches a premium. My girlfriend's cousin and her husband used to collect DM and at one point had an almost complete collection of worldwide releases up to 1993. Plus selected memorabilia like a pair of Dave's old leather trousers - complete with hankerchief still in pocket:yikes::yikes:

At one point they decided that they didn't want to live in a museum and sold 90% of their collection.

athensdrums and c-eling like this.
  18. Gems-A-Bems

The Sire LP doesn't include "Mission Impossible" (or "Interlude #1", whichever title you prefer)

19. c-eling

Correct, The MOV 2014/Re-issues do, does the old UK/Euro carry it?

20. Gems-A-Bems

That blue Intercord has it.

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

Thanks Gems, wonder why they axed it on the US, I'm going to need a second job :laugh:

22. Gems-A-Bems

I think it was accidentally omitted. My original Sire LP came with the same disclaimer sticker that the old cassette did: "Gaps between songs are the intention of the artist". Except there are really no large gaps on the Sire LP.

c-eling likes this.
  23. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I pulled out my reissue copy of Exciter - probably hadn't played it since 2015. To call this thing dished is an insult to dishes. For anybody who's ever seen a mirage while driving through the desert, imagine that but emanating from a 12" diameter disc.

For the folks who've kept up with what was supposed to be the latest attempt at reissuing these albums from 2016-17, it looks Exciter was just released, but is there any place in the US to get these? Amazon US is still showing 2014 release dates for everything.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  24. c-eling

Looks to be all import only, from side sellers as well. Amazon probably still has older press stock.
    For all my import needs and I use them regularly-
    Poponaught

25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

popnaut is also outside the U.S. and almost a lock to be more expensive than Amazon UK. I was hoping for a U.S.-based company selling these new DM pressings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.