Depeche Mode full catalog on 180g vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rebeljeff, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

They have a tendency to be a month behind in the US. Music Direct has it in stock, but it's probably one of the last couple pressings. (Guessing)

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Do the "Ultra" reissues have "Junior Painkiller"? My UK original sounds decent but... why was this never a double vinyl album? It was 1997 after all. Even "Pop" came as double set....

3. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,Junior Painkiller is included there. Don't know why it wasn't reissued as a double vinyl album. A bit strange as they already re-released The Singles 81-85 as a double album back in 1998(okay this one had 2 Bonus Tracks).

Neonbeam and c-eling like this.
  4. Neonbeam

I would be interested in this too. Is any of these reissues worth getting even though one has original pressings? They are "remastered" aren't they? Is this noticeable? And how?

5. c-eling

They are the digital remasters (44) put to vinyl Neon. However if you enjoy the remasters EQ, they work quite well on this format.
    Overall I prefer old mastering's on compact disc except for Ultra, where I prefer the lp remaster. Vinyl wise, I prefer the new Some Great Reward, Music For The Masses and Black Celebration over old US pressings.
    Construction Time Again, I love the US Sheffield so I didn't grab the re-issue. My old US A Broken frame appears to be a really early digital recording, can't go wrong with either.
    So if you like the remasters but want less compression, these are a good alternative. I have no UK/Euro original pressings for comparison.
    The MOV pressings are 44 also, cut's at 22
    I skipped Violator, as I enjoy my US SRC compact disc

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
    Mateo Sanboval and Neonbeam like this.
  6. Neonbeam

So these 2007, 2016 and Music On Vinyl pressings essentially all use the same mastering? So the difference would be in the pressing quality and presentation of the sleeve? The copies I saw in stores recently all (?) had heavy gatefold sleeves and looked pretty lavish for 20, 21€ albums.

I've read somewhere that the 2007 edition had liner notes by one Daniel Miller. Do the other editions have them as well?

I'd love to have an album by album comparison between Mute originals and these new pressings because visually they seem fine.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

Yes, same mastering' all around-
    My 2007 US Some Great, A Broken Frame and the 2014 MOV Black Celebration all have Miller write-ups on the gatefold, 2014 MOV Music For The Masses, Miller write-up on a inner sheet.

Neonbeam likes this.
  8. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I must have missed your commenting on this before. Are you talking about Sire 23751-1? SRC or Capitol pressing?

9. c-eling

Not sure, I can't find any inscription stating a Capitol. It is a revision (RE-1) JW so it makes me think a SRC, but SRC usually is inscribed. Not a club.
    I think there have been instances of digital transfers being done on some 80's re-issues. Maybe it's later run.
    This one is definitely digital. Were they using early digital synths on this?
    [​IMG]

10. Gems-A-Bems

Yep, that's a Capitol pressing.

11. c-eling

JW the clue Gems?

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  12. Gems-A-Bems

My apologies. Yes, it's the "JW" that tells the tale. I should have given you the link.

Depeche Mode - A Broken Frame

I'm guessing it's from a U-matic dub(?) but I have no idea if all the A Broken Frame Sires are as well.

13. c-eling

Ahh, many thanks, the dub may be correct, given the revision :cheers:

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  14. Neonbeam

I've noticed recently that original copies of "101" can have quite high price tags on fairs and record shows. 38€? Really? Which only adds to this album being somewhat of a collector's nightmare because the sleeve is so delicate that virtually 9 out of 10 vintage copies I come across have one flaw or another. Then there's the lavish booklet. If it is still there. And complete. And - last but not least - the discs. Which are housed in fantastic looking b/w inners made from cardboard. Resulting in surface marks if not handled properly. When new this must have been a fantastic looking tour souvenir!!!! Buying it now is.... well.... shall we say "tricky"?!

I was wondering if the envelope sleeve (really a unipack) and the gatefold version came out simultaneously or if one (most likely the gatefold) indicates a later pressing. The new 2016 version has the gatefold, right?

(I also think it's somewhat ironic that Talking Heads weren't able to house their "Naked" album in the desired unipack only one year earlier because apparently there wasn't a single facility left in the US that was equipped to produce them.)

Final question: The three missing tracks can be found on the "Everything Counts Live" 12", right???

Just spinning a German original and this is a great live album. It really is.

15. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Yes,it's getting harder to find copies for a good price especially if you want one in pristine condition. Prices have significantly increased during the last years.
    German and UK copies came with these cardboard inner sleeves that look nicely but leave nasty hairlines on the vinyl (same problem with Violator).
    I have a few early pressings (one with Intercord release sheet) and they all have this "envelope" sleeve. I still need to get the 2016 version but as far as i know it has the gatefold sleeve.

Sacred,Nothing and A Question Of Lust can be found on the Everything Counts 12" (Nothing also on the 7").

Neonbeam likes this.
  16. Gems-A-Bems

Is there something about the Sire mastering of 101 LP that makes it less-than-desirable?

17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

I don't have the US Sire 101 but i never heard that there's something wrong with it.

18. jimbanville

jimbanville New Member

I've bought two copies of the latest 180 gram pressing of the single disc ULTRA album. Both were warped. One badly. Didn't even try to play it. Second is slightly warped and has bad static noise. Mainly in right channel. Cleaned it three times. Even "glued" it. No improvement. then I go on Amazon and other reviewers complain of the same defects on their copy as well. One of mine came from Barnes & Noble and the other came from CDImports on ebay.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It took four tries for me to get a decent copy of Ultra a few years back when these were reissued. It was a nightmare.

20. Neonbeam

OK... I caved in and bought my first DM repress, "Songs Of Faith And Devotion", the only DM album I don't own an original copy of.

EU edition, Stumm 106, Sony, Legacy and Mute logos on the back. Seriously impressed with the artwork, super heavy and ultra glossy gatefold with Miller liner notes and a printed inner this thing is.... beautiful. This is how it's done!

The matrix offers an almost babylonian variety with easily four different numbers and etchings. Heck there is even a Music On Vinyl matrix present. This cut has been used many times. Apparently. Are all titles from this series like that?

About to play this through headphones and if the sonics are nice I might even consider getting other albums too. Because the presentation alone is worth having these as addition to original editions.

JeffMo and c-eling like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

OT, but congrats on the Kraftwerk contest Ben!

Ben Adams and c-eling like this.
  22. c-eling

The packaging is very well done, nice heavy duty gatefolds! Been re-pressed so many times for all of them this doesn't surprise me. :laugh: Since you are in Europe sourcing the 2014 MOV pressings I wouldn't think would be too difficult. Some odd reason I skipped this one in 2007

23. Neonbeam

I found the listening experience really enjoyable. Quiet as the death of night. No idea if an original would sound better but for what it is - and 20€ - this is great.

Noooow: Which other titles are especially recommendable? Obviously the ones that never were a gatefold in their original incarnation. Does anything stand out? I guess I'm especially interested in "Construction Time Again" and "Some Great Reward". Do they have similar glossy gatefolds?

Do they all have Daniel Miller write ups? Even "Exciter" or "Playing The Angel"?

c-eling likes this.
  24. Neonbeam

I guess I simply need to buy an album I already have. So basically any album. Then I can come to my own conclusions :edthumbs:

Marc 74 likes this.
  25. c-eling

Normally for Mode Neon I just grab the old compact discs, tonight I threw on the 2014 MOV Black Celebration, it had been a couple years.
    This one with a black poly lined sleeve and lyric sheet, nice textures and high gloss cover. (The MOV Masses lyrics are printed on the inner gate.) Excellent soundstage, nice clean and silent pressing for the one I received. Remember these use the 2006 digital remasters, but they work very well on the format. I prefer this over a couple US 1986 pressings I have.
    I skipped Construction as I have a nice sounding US Sheffield cut. My US Some Great Reward Rhino 2007 (glossy gate) I enjoy over my old US :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    Neonbeam likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.