Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. rgrainger

rgrainger Well-Known Member

That's not true. That guy recreated Speak and Spell using the Roland JP-08, which is a modern synth released in 2016. The JP-08 is a modern digital emulation of the classic synth the Roland Jupiter 8. Speak and Spell doesn't even feature the original Jupiter 8 (they used Miller's Arp 2600 and Vince's Pro-One for nearly all the sounds, including the drums), let alone the JP-08 (which Speak and Spell predates by 35 years)!

That said, the chap has done a great job recreating Speak and Spell, although to a synth-head like me, it doesn't really sound that close to the actual synths used (but he did very well for the synth he did use, and he's got the parts played spot on). I say all this as a very happy JP-08 owner. In fact, his videos helped sell me the JP-08, as they made me realise how good it sounds.

But nope, Speak and Spell was not done with a JP-08 or even an original Jupiter 8.

jamesc and tmtomh like this.
  2. rgrainger

For the record, I don't like the vocals on the Broken Frame covers album (nothing to do with them being female, though), but the synths sound really good to my ear. They've captured some of the feel of the original sounds, but given it a modern twist, which is what you want, really.

Neonbeam, c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  3. rgrainger

I'm not going to spare myself any blushes here... for the sake of accuracy, I must own up that my above post about the synths used was totally incorrect! It's not often I steam in on a forum to correct someone, so this is especially embarrassing.

Anyway, it has just occurred to me that I was thinking of Vince's next album, Yazoo's Upstairs at Eric's, which was done mainly on the Pro-One and Arp 2600. However, according to the article linked to below, Depeche seem to have used quite a few different synths on Speak & Spell, including a Kawai 100F, Minikorg 700s, Moog Prodigy, Roland Jupiter (which I believe was the 4, not the 8), Roland SH1, Yamaha CS5, and the ARP 2600.

Interview with the engineer: From 4AD To Nine Inch Nails |

That doesn't change the fact that the JP-08 wasn't used (as it's a modern synth), and neither was the synth it emulates, a Jupiter 8; and even the Jupiter 4 they apparently did use was one synth among many. But I apologise to anyone I've misinformed!

4. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Thanks for this post - I applaud you for correcting yourself and being so forthright about it. It's also clear from this post that you're generally very well-informed about this stuff; appreciate the info you've provided here. :righton:

5. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Construction Time Again-
    US DADC
    80.9/89.9/70.4/85.1/88.3/95.2/95.1/96.2/97.3/93.4 Track Ten (Everything Counts-Long Version)
    WG INT 846.807 Dark Blue
    79.4/81.2/54.7/81.2/77.3/66.8/81.2/83.1/78.9/52.2 <---- Has Pre-Emphasis
    WG INT 846.807 Light Blue + 1993 INT 836.807
    71.2/84.4/61.9/79.7/61.9/65.5/72.3/77.2/71.0/33.9
    French CDV 30041
    43.3/46.2/43.8/48.0/55.5/48.0/53.2/50.6/42.4/23.2

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That FR sure is a quiet one!

Front 242 Addict, c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  7. c-eling

I'm not a huge fan of compression, but that one scares me :laugh:
    Definitely need a descent amp to make that puppy come alive I would think

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Or an ascent amp. :pleased:

The_Windmill and c-eling like this.
  9. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Right, trying to sum up my findings from this thread...

I'm only interested in unremastered stuff, and I've a strong preference for undiddled-with domestic track listings wherever possible, so I think my best options for the first six albums are:

Speak & Spell - INT846.844
    A Broken Frame - see notes below.
    Construction Time Again - INT846 (light strip) + INT836 are identical. INT846 (metallic) has pre-emphasis, so I'll avoid.
    Some Great Reward - all INT versions identical.
    Black Celebration - INT846 has no click. Does INT836? UK + EMI Uden pressings have the click.
    Music for the Masses - all unremastered versions the same, regardless of press. Correct?

I think that means I can aim for a set of INT846 with the lighter blue strip.

A Broken Frame then - it seems there are at least three different masterings for this (INT846 metallic, INT846 light strip, INT836), but they're possibly all the same, just level shifted? If the INT846 light strip sounds good, then perhaps I'll go for that, as it would match the other CDs.

Front 242 Addict, c-eling and tmtomh like this.
  10. c-eling

Looks good to me Alex, Yes all Music carry the same, at least the US and Holland Stripe do.
    Violator you are going to want the US SRC, even though that German Sonopress is a beauty to look at :)

tmtomh likes this.
  11. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Agreed! One note on Violator: all US single-CD issues of it - even the ones you can buy new today - are sonically identical.

Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  12. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Cheers, I'm off to eBay!

Already had the good luck to stumble on a US SRC Violator and a PDO France Singles 81->85 for pocket change at my local car boot. They sound great, which is what set me off on this journey. No idea what a US SRC pressing was doing here in olde York, but not complaining!

13. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

would you please share the differences in term of sound between Construction Time Again
    remastered cd ( 2007 ) and the original cd ?
    is the remastered much louder or have more bass?
    My original cd is pretty scratched ( but plays great) I am thinking to buy a better looking copy or the remastered cd that I can find easily in our cd stores .
    In most cases I prefer original cds but I thought if the remastered sound good I will go for that cd.
    Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

First thing I would say is, don't take just my word for it - there is no consensus (as far as I know) on whether CTA sounds better in the original or remastered version. In fact, I would guess more people here would prefer the original because it's more dynamic and sounds familiar.

That said, I just find the remaster a bit clearer/cleaner, and definitely better in the bass area - stronger but nice and tight, well-defined. The whole thing just sounds a bit more powerful and muscular (even when level-matched with the original). And as I noted, I've always thought the version of Get the Balance Right on the US Sire People Are People CD has sounded terrible, so I was glad to get a really nice sounding version of that on the CTA bonus DVD.

So... even though I love the CTA SACD/DVD remaster, I also own an original Mute CD of it and won't be getting rid of that one. The SACD/DVD is quite expensive on the used market, but the standard CD/DVD version can be had much more cheaply.

Sorry I can't be more definitive on this - I'm just hesitant to recommend the CTA remaster given the cost of the SACD version and the fact that I'm aware that many others here probably would say you should have the original if you're going to have only one version of this album.

c-eling and Front 242 Addict like this.
  15. Front 242 Addict

Thanks for the answer tmtomh , I found out that The remastered cd of CTA , the 1 cd version 2007
    has the same mastering of the SACD/DVD remaster of CTA .

tmtomh likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Pretty cool that the single CD of Violator was never remastered. It sure doesn't need it.

Personally, I still have my eye out for an SRC pressing of Violator, as in my experience they sound a bit more clear/focused than other pressings of identical masterings.

JeffMo, Front 242 Addict and c-eling like this.
  17. c-eling

Same Noomi, I have the two sealed 2006's (EU and a Argentina) and the deluxe 2007
    Let me know the song and I'll post a sample

tmtomh and Front 242 Addict like this.
  18. Front 242 Addict

I love both the Uk and US original violator cds, you can raise the volume up real loud and the music never becomes jarring.

19. Front 242 Addict

I choose the beautiful song And Then... thanks:cool:

tmtomh likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, Halo is demonstration quality.

21. Front 242 Addict

definitely! Amazing/Glorious song with excellent sound :)

22. c-eling

:)
    Dropbox - And Then.wav
    Edit: I just noticed a digital glitch
    It's on every pressing, lp I have. grrrr

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

I feel ..... ;) lucky that my favorite DM album is also their best sounding. :cool:

JeffMo and Front 242 Addict like this.
  24. Front 242 Addict

Thanks Corry!:)
    the song on the remastered has much more presence in the bass , the beat is more powerful and hits harder, the remastered sounds much louder than the original.

where is the glitch?

tmtomh likes this.
  25. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

I don't know what's available in the US, but of course Violator was one of the albums that got remasters in 2006, reducing its DR value from 12 to 10:

Album list - Dynamic Range Database