Depeche Mode on CD...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Taylan, Oct 25, 2010.

1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Right at the end, do you hear it? .57, I thought it was an issue when I cut the sample, but I just checked and every other edition has it. All these years I've never noticed it

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Front 242 Addict

Front 242 Addict I Love Physical format for my listening pleasure

You know that I am sensitive to glitches and clicks in music but for some reason this glitch does not disturb me to concentrate in the song , sounds like one of the sounds has interruption or cut off.
    I would never notice this glitch If you hadn't mentioned it

tmtomh likes this.
  3. c-eling

I wouldn't of noticed it either, but I had headphones on while cutting it :laugh:
    Could be an interruption. :shrug:

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. Front 242 Addict

you are right ,Violator was remastered at 2006 but maybe there are also original US cds that reissued as new with the old original mastering? like the new Tangerine Dream US cds of old titles with the old mastering (pre DE remastered 1995 - Phaedra , Rubycon , Stratosfear , Tangram.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    tmtomh likes this.
  5. Front 242 Addict

Why did you tell me about it ? :) ? is it a revenge for the loud Click on the song Stripped that I mentioned numerous times? :laugh:

c-eling likes this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

One of the greatest sounding recordings ever!

7. Front 242 Addict

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

George P likes this.
  8. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I believe there are - or at least were very recently. I ordered this one in December of 2015, brand new direct from Amazon:

Depeche Mode - Violator - Amazon.com Music

Right now they only have it from 3rd party sellers, although these include both used and new ones. So perhaps it has gone out of print in the last year or so, I don't know.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  9. Front 242 Addict

yes Indeed, also for titles like construction time again , Speak & spell.
    It's nice that you can get cds with early mastering in New condition :cool:

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Front 242 Addict

I saw in the DR database that some tracks on the US original cd have significantly higher DR than some tracks on my cd -WG INT 846.807 Light Blue + 1993 but the Peak levels significantly higher on the Us cd than the 846.807 Light Blue + 1993
    so which cd is louder? DR 16 ,17 is so high.

the US cd DR: 16. 12. 12 .16. 17 .13 .17. 16 .17. 17
    80.9/89.9/70.4/85.1/88.3/95.2/95.1/96.2/97.3/93.4

WG INT 846.807 Light Blue + 1993 INT 836.807
    DR: 11 .11 .11.12 .12.12.14.11.12.11.
    71.2/84.4/61.9/79.7/61.9/65.5/72.3/77.2/71.0/33.9

tmtomh likes this.
  11. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

except that old CDs were possibly better manufactured.

tmtomh and Front 242 Addict like this.
  12. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Ahhh! I just realized that this is the one I have ripped on my music server. Didn't realize it had pre-emphasis... thanks Cory! Sadly, I dumped the CD when the DEs came out. :shake:

c-eling likes this.
  13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

By "louder" we generally mean the average level (the RMS). The DR meter rates the difference between the 2nd-loudest peak and the RMS level. Since the peak levels above are based on the loudest peak, rather than the 2nd-loudest peak - and since the peak levels are in percentage while the DR levels are in dB - it's complicated and difficult to figure out the RMS purely from these figures.

That said, doing a very rough calculation on the first track of each version, I would estimate that the US CD's first track RMS would be roughly -18dB while for the INT CD the RMS would be roughly -14dB. For the 2nd track on each CD, though, the RMS would be very similar, about -13dB. (And also note that the final track on each CD is a different track, so those cannot be compared.)

I hear you on that, but the physical qualities of the Violator CD I got were normal/first-rate. My experience is that it's the jewel cases that have gotten flimsier and cheaper as time has gone on - but in my experience the CDs and inserts have remained the same quality overall.

You can easily run the ripped files through xAct (free for the Mac) or any number of other free apps to apply de-emphasis to them and create a new set of files that will therefore play just fine on your music server.

14. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Thanks tmtomh, I ran it through Sox earlier. :)

tmtomh likes this.
  15. c-eling

The DR database has incorrect listings-
    My US DADC 80.9/89.9 has a DR of 12, which matches the WG once the PE EQ was applied.
    Those submissions that state DR 14 and 15 probably have Pre and were not properly EQ'd.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Here's my peak levels for Some Great Reward and Black Celebration. I think these are the Japanese ALCB issues but I can't remember now.

SGW
    79.4/72.2/86.4/65.3/74.8/57.0/80.2/78.3/89.0

BC
    77.1/99.7/99.9/59.6/63.1/98.8/89.9/90.1/67.8/70.9/93.3/100.0/87.6/58.5

Front 242 Addict, tmtomh and c-eling like this.
  17. Marc 74

Marc 74 Senior Member

Speak & Spell: INT 846.888,INT 836.805 or the UK STUMM 5 MPO CD all share the same mastering. Another option would be the French CDV 30042 that has the original UK track list without the bonus content.

A Broken Frame: The WG Dark Stripe & the later light blue stripe CD(both INT 846.804)are identical and I think the 836.806 shares the same mastering and is just slightly level shifted.

Black Celebration: No click on the 846.818 and the 836.809 with Sonopress matrix. Later editions made by EMI UDEN(silver label)with 836.809 number had the glitch.

Music For The Masses: Nearly all editions I know share the same mastering. The Italian "STUM 47" CD(DADC Austria matrix)is a rare exception as it has significantly lower EAC peaks but again it’s probably level shifted.

MFTM (WG INT 846.833,UK STUMM 47,Japan 32XB-195,US 9 25614-2 and several others):
    89.4/87.1/79.5/84.6/74.9/95.5/61.0/79.2/100/83.6/75.4/97.4/84.9/100

MFTM (Italy STUM 47):
    67.4/65.7/57.3/60.1/52.8/74.9/45.9/56.0/80.2/63.4/54.9/72.8/62.0/86.3

18. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Why the concern about pre-emphasis? As long as the PE flag in in the TO almost all players will get it.
    Is there a recent player that wont??

Who has ripped a cd with pre-emphasis, and the PE flag in the TO, applied de-emphasis via SOX, iTunes or whatever, and heard an improvement?

19. The_Windmill

Good question, 'cause there was a lot of them not doing it in the past, apparently. Did somebody keep the list adjourned?

This is more tricky since every software applies a different curve (and hardware does it too, I'm told). So it's never exactly the same and it goes on personal preference.

20. c-eling

In this case the flag for Construction Time Again is in the SUBQ channel. That high DR posted in the database makes me think that there is a Japan for US (that still needs confirmation). Oppo's will not detect SUBQ, only TOC. and apparently even from other titles I have found quite a few DR submissions the user has no clue. For my PE discs I use my player, but everything else pretty much via SBTouch, so for me it's crucial to know if it has it. People with players also may be using the digital out (Using it as a transport only) which renders the flag useless. And some people just rip and play via DAP and don't own a stand alone component. That's why I brought it to light.
    I have asked in a few threads about some of the newer players and get no reply's. I do know the Onkyo 7030 will , TOC and SUBQ. It's the only one I've been able to confirm that can do both from the newer players. No clue on the latest Sony's.

HiFi Guy 008, jamesc and The_Windmill like this.
  21. The_Windmill

I'm sorry, you lost me here. What is a DAP? (Google not helping)

c-eling likes this.
  22. c-eling

Sorry, digital audio player. It could be a portable, pc/apple- desktop/laptop, a tablet, phone etc... :)

The_Windmill likes this.
  23. HiFi Guy 008

Thanks. There was a thread around here detailing how to create a cue sheet with the PE flag in the right place. Any idea where that is? I'd much rather do that than rely on iTunes or another program's idea of pre-emphasis, and then burn a disc using that or streaming the files using that.

Gems-A-Bems likes this.
  24. shaboo

shaboo Forum Resident

Just place the FLAGS entry after the FILE and TRACK entries:

REM DISCID 9609EA0A
    PERFORMER "Toto"
    TITLE "IV"
    REM DATE 1982
    REM DISCNUMBER 1
    REM TOTALDISCS 1
    REM COMMENT "Album: Ripped from EAC CD-R"
    FILE "01 - Toto - Rosanna.flac" WAVE
    TRACK 01 AUDIO
    FLAGS PRE
    PERFORMER "Toto"
    TITLE "Rosanna"
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    FILE "02 - Toto - Make Believe.flac" WAVE
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    FLAGS PRE
    PERFORMER "Toto"
    TITLE "Make Believe"
    FILE "03 - Toto - I Won't Hold You Back.flac" WAVE
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    FLAGS PRE
    PERFORMER "Toto"
    TITLE "I Won't Hold You Back"

c-eling, tmtomh and HiFi Guy 008 like this.
  25. HiFi Guy 008

Thank you!